Crime 'Qanon Shaman' Jacob Chansley sentenced to 41 months in prison

Oz.
Since he hasn't committed a violent crime and doesn't have a violent history he'd probably not be committed for long before being an outpatient, but pleading mental illness here rarely leads to what I'd consider a more lenient outcome. In fact it's frequently used to keep people incarcerated for longer than criminal charges, which typically max out at 25 years (differs state to state).

25 years for a non violent crime of trespassing and being a part of a riot/trespassing/insurrection-ish nbut doing no violence himself?

everybody who did harm to property and/or persons should be treated very harshly here but this guy should not have 4 years. ive seen less for rape.

good judgment by the justice system and im glad to admit i was wrong.

25 years for a non violent crime of trespassing and being a part of a riot but doing no violence himself?

everybody who did harm to property and/or persons should be treated very harshly here but this guy should not have 4 years. ive seen less for rape.

good judgment by the justice system and im glad to admit i was wrong.

No, 25 years is around the maximum for most criminal charges here. A "life sentence" is typically more like 20. What I'm saying is that a successful mental health defence here might spare you a criminal conviction, but the outcome is usually worse than the prison sentence you'd face. Which is how it's been used to keep mass murderers and other violent criminals locked up for life. "Not guilty by reason of insanity" is quite likely to leave you incarcerated indefinitely.

No, 25 years is around the maximum for most criminal charges here. A "life sentence" is typically more like 20. What I'm saying is that a successful mental health defence here might spare you a criminal conviction, but the outcome is usually worse than the prison sentence you'd face. Which is how it's been used to keep mass murderers and other violent criminals locked up for life. "Not guilty by reason of insanity" is quite likely to leave you incarcerated indefinitely.

well im just saying that ten months in solitary for a non violent crime is sufficient and now he needs some counselling.

i have had a change of opinion. even though i think they should deal with the insurrectionists extremely harshly i now think the shaman should have gotten off with time served and sentenced to some mental health treatment.

i dont think he was faking his mental illness for a defense and he had no priors. we should not be imprisoning the mentally ill we should be treating them.
Yeah , I also think they should release him , because he's already served time. Some of the other guys are a different story, they deserve to be in jail. This guy seems mentally off, so I don't think making him serve 41 months is right.

Yeah , I also think they should release him , because he's already served time. Some of the other guys are a different story, they deserve to be in jail. This guy seems mentally off, so I don't think making him serve 41 months is right.

he is not coming out of that sentence a better person less likely to commit crime. if thats the goal, and it should be, this is a bad sentence.

What on earth is a qanon shaman?

th

Oz.
Since he hasn't committed a violent crime and doesn't have a violent history he'd probably not be committed for long before being an outpatient, but pleading mental illness here rarely leads to what I'd consider a more lenient outcome. In fact it's frequently used to keep people incarcerated for longer than criminal charges, which typically max out at @25 years (differs state to state).

I remember seeing a documentary years ago about how pleading mental impairment could leave you locked up for life.

well im just saying that ten months in solitary for a non violent crime is sufficient and now he needs some counselling.

I don't know. I mean obstructing congress has a maximum of 5 years and destruction of government property has a maximum of 10. US sentencing is rarely lenient.

I think Biden should pardon him, or push for the guy to get mental health help instead of prison.

Mental help?

This is America where if you need mental health your mental health services are prison.

I don't know. I mean obstructing congress has a maximum of 5 and destruction of government property has a maximum of 10. US sentencing is rarely lenient.

yes but our "justice" system is often more about petty vengeance for immature minds than it is about rehabilitation and that to our detriment.

@Ruprecht

i just read a book called american psychosis by chris hedges and there is a chapter on the justice and prison system in the states. it is well worth the read and reveals a despicable and corrupt core that is harmful to society and to prisoners but profitable.

yes but our "justice" system is often more about petty vengeance for immature minds than it is about rehabilitation and that to our detriment.

Does the US even have a rehabilitative justice model? I thought it was entirely about deterrence and retribution.

I think Biden should commute his sentence, push for the guy to get mental health help instead of prison.

its the right thing to do but ever since reagan getting mental health services if you are poor is nearly impossible. i remember my mother telling me during the reagan years thar i would see an influx of homelessness due to the uncaring and illogical approach of cutting funding for the mentally ill.

how come she could see that and nobody else could?

Unlikely, they have been going on and on about this and they are going to make an example of everyone they can .

Yup. Everyone started finding religion when Lil' Wayne got a Presidential pardon from Trump and they were left with their @$$es hanging in the breeze.

If you go by the "F*ck around and find out" scale, they're at the "find out" stage now.

Does the US even have a rehabilitative justice model? I thought it was entirely about deterrence and retribution.

No, it's about punishment. They'll throw in some vocational programs to satisfy the "rehabilitation", requirement but that's about it.

Back