PWD 647: Red Cells were too low edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on 87 wcw as that my next wcw tbs watch, seen very little of 87 wcw outside of wargames and flair/garvin cage match on dvd years ago. From what I read/listen 88 is when the decline kicks in with Crockett selling to turner, dusty fired from booking, mid south talent getting shafted (except sting) and too many dusty finishes.
That was 30 years ago so its pretty hard for me to remember week to week what was happening and separate the years so I cant really comment on JCP overall but obviously I remember the big stuff

Magnums accident was still a huge story and Nikitas face turn was great when it happened and really got people excited because he was so over as a killer monster

The Wargames(although it was actually called The Match Beyond at the time) was great proof of Dustys genius at booking huge spectacles
That had the whole wrestling world watching and wondering what exactly was gonna happen because we had no idea what the cage was actually gonna look like or what this whole thing really was
I'll never forget watching the JCP studio show the next weekend and getting that quick glimpse of the arena and the cage with the spotlights shining on it, so freakin cool

The UWF stuff was cool when it started because this was the first time I had ever seen two separate promotions work together but so much more coulda been done with all that fresh new talent
As I said before I loved the UWF and was pumped to be able to see all their stars and crazy interesting storylines every week right there on the Saturday afternoon show instead of struggling to stay up til Midnight on Sunday

Garvins title win gets criticized now but I can still remember how that arena exploded when Garvin actually won
It was so unexpected and NWA title changes happened once every few years so this was a major deal

Starrcade 87 coulda and shoulda been so much better
Even as a young mark that stillhad no real idea about how booking worked(or even what a booker was)I thought it was bad and didnt make sense that all the UWF talent was being swept aside and misused like this
The Steve Williams-Barry Windham match was supposed to be a classic but one of them got injured during the match so they went home quick and that made the ending not work properly
I love Dusty and this revisionist history of how he was a bad booker is bullshit but obviously he made some mistakes and not having the Road Warriors win the belts on that night in their hometown was a huge one
It soured the whole card imo

I'll prolly be thinking about this all day at work so I might have some more thoughts for you later

Starrcade 87 was JCPs first ever PPV(even though it was destroyed business wise by the WWF and the first ever Survivor Series) and with all the talent available and Dustys booking genius(plus he had Eddie Gilbert available to help him) that couldve gone down as the greatest night in wrestling history instead of the beginning of the end of Jim Crockett Promotions

Jinder, Cena, Brock...

You forgot the biggest user. The Rock. Had to wear a shirt because of his bitch tits. And now hes into the HgH. Cena is probably too. Brock seems to have stopped doping cause hes starting to look like a tub of lard.

Randy Orton has strikes left.

He wouldnt if they had applied the failed drug tests when he was out "injured". Which is how they got around it. Its not even a secret, everbody know.

That was 30 years ago so its pretty hard for me to remember week to week what was happening and separate the years so I cant really comment on JCP overall but obviously I remember the big stuff

Magnums accident was still a huge story and Nikitas face turn was great when it happened and really got people excited because he was so over as a killer monster

The Wargames(although it was actually called The Match Beyond at the time) was great proof of Dustys genius at booking huge spectacles
That had the whole wrestling world watching and wondering what exactly was gonna happen because we had no idea what the cage was actually gonna look like or what this whole thing really was
I'll never forget watching the JCP studio show the next weekend and getting that quick glimpse of the arena and the cage with the spotlights shining on it, so freakin cool

The UWF stuff was cool when it started because this was the first time I had ever seen two separate promotions work together but so much more coulda been done with all that fresh new talent
As I said before I loved the UWF and was pumped to be able to see all their stars and crazy interesting storylines every week right there on the Saturday afternoon show instead of struggling to stay up til Midnight on Sunday

Garvins title win gets criticized now but I can still remember how that arena exploded when Garvin actually won
It was so unexpected and NWA title changes happened once every few years so this was a major deal

Starrcade 87 coulda and shoulda been so much better
Even as a young mark that stillhad no real idea about how booking worked(or even what a booker was)I thought it was bad and didnt make sense that all the UWF talent was being swept aside and misused like this
The Steve Williams-Barry Windham match was supposed to be a classic but one of them got injured during the match so they went home quick and that made the ending not work properly
I love Dusty and this revisionist history of how he was a bad booker is bullshit but obviously he made some mistakes and not having the Road Warriors win the belts on that night in their hometown was a huge one
It soured the whole card imo

I'll prolly be thinking about this all day at work so I might have some more thoughts for you later
When did they actually air the Omni Wargames match?

You forgot the biggest user. The Rock. Had to wear a shirt because of his bitch tits. And now hes into the HgH. Cena is probably too. Brock seems to have stopped doping cause hes starting to look like a tub of lard.
Tracksuit Rock was best Rock.

I hope its kaitlyn
M_HY8c.gif

When did they actually air the Omni Wargames match?
They didnt
They showed highlights, especially when they were hyping the second one in Miami, but if you wanted to see the match you had to buy the VHS

Well yeah. Rock turned into a parody during filming No Pain No Gain. Ironic.

He wouldnt if they had applied the failed drug tests when he was out "injured". Which is how they got around it. Its not even a secret, everbody know.

Let's not forget the other excuse they used for him

"Oh yeah, this is his third strike... but... well... errrr... You can work a strike off if you haven't been popped for... what's a good length of time... 18 months?! Yeah, there we go, if you haven't been popped for 18 months, you get a strike taken off you!"

Apparently, you can also have one removed if you go to rehab.

"If you think I'm gonna piss in a fucking cup, I'm walking out right now" - The Undertaker.

I added the “...”

We also have Taker, Rock, HHH, Steph, VINCE, Roman (not sure because he runs around in a vest but he ain’t got those arms from just banging and clanging), maybe dad Ambrose, Lashley, Jericho if he ever comes back, Rey Mysterio who suddenly is the most ripped in his life at 45, EC3 (who probably isn’t covered by exemptions), etc etc ...

They didnt
They showed highlights, especially when they were hyping the second one in Miami, but if you wanted to see the match you had to buy the VHS
<{MindBrown}>

I was cleaning out my parents basement a bit and found some old VHS's.
Royal Rumble 2000 and Invasion.

17 year old me would rewatch that swimsuit contest from the 2000 RR quite a few times... And make sure to rewind when Mae Young showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back