Punching......Do i need to move my head?

You've been watching too much Joe Rogan.

Yes Couture uses excessive head movement.
Couture is a Boxer. (from his army days) He gets matched up with a K-1 level striker with good takedown defense and he would get clobbered.

Anderson can get away with it because they keep matching him up with guys who are inferior to him like slow plodding Power Puncher Rich Franlklin.

As for Kaokalia, Yodsenkalai, Buakwa, Souwer, Hari, no they don't use head movement. You are just making that up. Show me examples. Unless you consider moving in general as equivalent to head movement, no they don't rely on it. The only head movement I really see is moving the head backwards (which is fine) to avoid a kick or punch but that's not something you are constantly doing so I don't conisder that the head movement that we are talking about.

Randy Couture is a wrestler not a boxer, he was wrestling before he started striking. And I don't really watch UFC that much so Rogan has no effect on me.

There's really no point in arguing with you anymore because you just proved you don't know what you're talking about with that last paragraph. At least Too Defensive acknowledges that he was mistaken, gaining back his credibility.

Randy Couture is a wrestler not a boxer, he was wrestling before he started striking. And I don't really watch UFC that much so Rogan has no effect on me.

There's really no point in arguing with you anymore because you just proved you don't know what you're talking about with that last paragraph. At least Too Defensive acknowledges that he was mistaken, gaining back his credibility.

Uh, Couture boxed while he was in the Army. Boxing is his striking base so I'm not sure what you are whining about, cuz.

Did he? I read "Becoming the Natural", and I don't remember that being mentioned... I could be wrong, but I think he dedicated his army career to greco-roman wrestling, and his first exposure to striking was lacing up gloves and swinging with the Lindland/Henderson crowd that would later become Team Quest.

Anyways, head movement works. Moving target, plus having your head in motion already with that subtle rhythmic fashion (which doesn't mean swaying side-to-side) makes it much easier to initiate a full slip than it is from a dead stop.

A full, properly executed slip, will put you in position to counter, and will probably not walk you into a head kick.. Would the jab not fire out much faster than the headkick? If you slip an orthodox jab to the outside, you are not in a position to be hit with the right headkick. That is not even considering if you angle off properly after, or, more to the point, that when you execute a proper slip i.e. a matter of inches, you're doing it to set up a counter shot, which would disrupt the follow-up. Slipping a jab and countering often disrupts a 1-2-3 combination your opponent is intending to throw because you're sticking a right hand into their face. Surely if you can disrupt a faster series of strikes (punches) you can stop a slower series of strikes (punch + kick combo)?

Really, if slips are BS because they are a defensive movement that puts you in position to be hit by another strike to a different area (Which they don't if executed properly), couldn't the same be said for catching punches on your gloves? Unless you're Winky Wright, it is difficult to parry or block a punch, say a straight right or right hook to the head, while not exposing at least a bit of your floating ribs.

Just rambling.

You should look in the Mirror then.

Good luck with your bad habits of too much head movement.

tell that to every pro fighter..... ahahhahah tell them what they learned is "bad habits".... ahahhah tell that to every trainer that has champion fighters.... tell that to every fighter that actually steps in the ring and fight. tell them they got "bad habits" ahahahhaha your funny.

Uh, Couture boxed while he was in the Army. Boxing is his striking base so I'm not sure what you are whining about, cuz.

are you shitting me? randy couture is far from a boxer.... do you even think before you spill all this bs??? i mean... for reals, take a few seconds to run things thru your head before you talk out of your ass.

hmm.... so which is it? you make up your mind yet?

I haven't contradicted myself. When I said moving your head to the left an inch is pointless I meant you will still get hit. Are you sitting at your computer? good. Move your head an INCH to the left. Do you see how your head is still in the way?? If you want to dodge a punch, you have to move your head further to the left. Now you are in danger of getting kicked at the other side of your face.

When I said if you want to move your head to the left and right a couple of inches, thats fine... I meant do that if you want to even though it serves no purpose other than to look cool or to become preditable to your opponent.

Head Rocking in MT = bad

Head Rocking in Boxing= Good

Foot work and Parrys in MT= Good

I acknowledge nothing. And I have contradicted nothing. Head Rocking is a bad idea in Muay thai. The TS (where ever the hell he is) sounds like a beginner in the sport. To advise him to rock his head in MT is irresponsible. He will end up on a stretcher.

Anderson Silva. Urijah Faber. Rashad Evans. BJ Penn. Randy Couture. Fedor. Rampage. Miguel Torres.

You know what all of these guys have in common? These guys are currently, or have recently been champions. They all move their head. And as far as the other 2 UFC champs, i'm pretty sure both Mir and GSP both utilize some amount od head movement, though not as much as the guys i mentioned. How can you say head movement doesn't work, when most of the champions use it frequently, anf for some its their primary method of defense?

And as far as the original question, yes, you can move your head when you throw punches. I wouldnt do it all the time, but it can be effective at times. Also, subtle head movement is probably better than drastic movement inthis situation.

LOL at head movement not working. Thats a lot of top P4p fighters on that list, and everyone of them uses head movement.

I haven't contradicted myself. When I said moving your head to the left an inch is pointless I meant you will still get hit. Are you sitting at your computer? good. Move your head an INCH to the left. Do you see how your head is still in the way?? If you want to dodge a punch, you have to move your head further to the left. Now you are in danger of getting kicked at the other side of your face.

When I said if you want to move your head to the left and right a couple of inches, thats fine... I meant do that if you want to even though it serves no purpose other than to look cool or to become preditable to your opponent.

Head Rocking in MT = bad

i dont know about you, but i'd rather get hit in the forehead than in the eye. It may not miss completely, but it will land in a more favorable location.

Head Rocking in MT = bad

That rhythmic and subtle head movement should not be a predictable back-and-forth. Even if it is, it is surely no more "predictable" than a non-moving target, right?

The small "useless" head movements are there to set-up the full slips. It is easier to move your head when it is already in motion than it is to initiate a slip from a dead stop.

As has been mentioned, a proper slip puts you in a position to counter and disrupt a combination, and so rarely poses a threat. You're also putting yourself at an angle to nullify the kick as a follow-up. A slip poses no more threat than a parry, which is another defensive move that could potentially expose you somewhere else... but is tough to capitalize on.

So, let's review.

1. Small head movement is cool by you in MT, though you think it is useless, it is harmless. Small head movement/rhythms set up slips.

2. Parry's are cool by you in MT. A common example of a basic parry is to paw the jab away with the right glove to set up a straight right or jab. This leaves you exposed for a left hook sometimes, but it is still a valid technique - there are few, if any, 100% foolproof techniques.

3. Slips serve the exact same purpose as parrys in that they set up a counter shot, minimize the danger of being countered through good positioning (i.e. outside a jab puts you at less of a risk of that right RH connecting well).

Outside of the wash of notable champions who use head movements, how can you be anti-head movement and pro-parry?

I acknowledge nothing. And I have contradicted nothing. Head Rocking is a bad idea in Muay thai. The TS (where ever the hell he is) sounds like a beginner in the sport. To advise him to rock his head in MT is irresponsible. He will end up on a stretcher.

Yes you did.

Yes but not to the point were its the only thing your thinking about

are you shitting me? randy couture is far from a boxer.... do you even think before you spill all this bs??? i mean... for reals, take a few seconds to run things thru your head before you talk out of your ass.

LOL. What a Noob. Couture boxed in the Army. That's common knowledge.

Whats the point of having a thread if you don't read the posts carefully? Try to retain the information

TD,

It's no use with these guys. It's Sherdog so what can you expect. Way too many people chiming in and nobody reads the entire thread. And then you have immature posters like Chino with the KOed Arlovski avatar.

It's no wonder US Striking trails way behind Holland, Thailand and Japan with that attitude.

You should come over to the K-1Fans Forum if you want real K-1/Mauy Thai/Striking conversation. A much more International crowd with alot of people who are training in Thailand and Europe:
K-1FANS :: Index

I mean did this thread really deserve 16 pages? Just do whatever seems more effective at the moment. Move your head can sometimes leave your head exposed and trust me you don't want to leave your head exposed. Maybe a head movement to dodge a punch then counter may be good sometimes but don't over use it. You also have to take into consideration the clinch, kicks to the head, elbows, etc.

Too Defensive dosn't like headmovement.

Others do.

The TS asked for OPINIONS so you gave them. No point in arguing and bitching about it. Both sides give reasons - then the TS tries it for himself and makes his decision.

No one wins at these fucking pissing matches. So cut it out.

TD,

It's no use with these guys. It's Sherdog so what can you expect. Way too many people chiming in and nobody reads the entire thread. And then you have immature posters like Chino with the KOed Arlovski avatar.

It's no wonder US Striking trails way behind Holland, Thailand and Japan with that attitude.

You should come over to the XXXXXX if you want real K-1/Mauy Thai/Striking conversation. A much more International crowd with alot of people who are training in Thailand and Europe:

Remove that forum link, or you will be banned. No advertising for other sites here.

PM him the addy instead if you want to circle jerk over there.

TD,

You should come over to the K-1Fans Forum if you want real K-1/Mauy Thai/Striking conversation. A much more International crowd with alot of people who are training in Thailand and Europe:
K-1FANS :: Index

and sean from contender asia post there... ask him about head movement :icon_lol: ask him about how yodsanklai has GREAT head movement.

Back