Punching......Do i need to move my head?

ToughActin81

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a question about head movement in muay thai. When I'm hitting the pads I don't move my head but i do keep my chin down, but in sparring it wouldn't be a wise idea to keep my head still. So my concern/question is when I'm throwing my punches during sparring should I also be moving my head at the same time?......An example is when I'm throwing a jab my chin is down but should I be also be ducking my head down an inch or two

just keep your hands up and chin down,

yeah. i vary my head position sometimes when i throw the jab in boxing. dunno bout muay thai though.

but yeah as long as your chin and head arent sticking all up in the air its all good.

Joe Rogan does alot of damage by convincing everyone when he's announcing that you need more Head Movement in MMA.

Joe Rogan does alot of damage to mma period. He provides no insight. You ever notice when two guys are on the ground, he stays quiet for a long time with no info to provide?

Frank Mir is way better than him.

Joe Rogan does alot of damage to mma period. He provides no insight. You ever notice when two guys are on the ground, he stays quiet for a long time with no info to provide?

Frank Mir is way better than him.

Francisco Miguel Torres Muur III sucks. He's so biased for Uriah Faber and Miguel Torres it's ridiculous.

I have a question about head movement in muay thai. When I'm hitting the pads I don't move my head but i do keep my chin down, but in sparring it wouldn't be a wise idea to keep my head still. So my concern/question is when I'm throwing my punches during sparring should I also be moving my head at the same time?......An example is when I'm throwing a jab my chin is down but should I be also be ducking my head down an inch or two

Yes, you should be moving your head around while sparring. Idk about at the same time your punching though, unless they're attacking you, because you might just get in to a bad habit and setting yourself up to get countered every time you punch. When you're punching just keep your chin down and your free hand up.

your head is a target. a moving target is harder to hit, provided your movement does not become predictable.

concentrating on good technique and footwork is key because those factors effect head movement.

I move my head when I need to when im jabbing

right hand left hooks i move my head

Every fighting sport where you are allowed to kick

Orly?

silvadancingwithrichstc7.gif

hmmmm.... top mt fighters like buakaw and yodsanklai have good head movement.... but hey, everyone has their own opinion. whats easier to hit... something that doesnt move... or something that does?

What do you think is harder to hit, something that chilling right in front of you or something that is movely in a random pattern (even if its very slightly?). Granted there's more to it than that, but yeah I'm gonna use a bit of head movement.

As for head movement while punching, it depends. In general I do a bit on my jabs and crosses.

Head movement sucks. Getting hit in the face is much more manly.

. whats easier to hit... something that doesnt move... or something that does?

Well you could just use your head movement to avoid the jab and then slam your head right into a Right High Kick. I guess it's a bad habit that works for Sean Salmon.

wb4ady.jpg

CroCop Koing Wanderlie Silva with a LHK was similar but I can't find the gif.

Back