Professionals gassing in round 2?

Oh, is that only for MMA?

Actually, maybe. All sports have an adrenaline rush but professionals in most sports usually have an opportunity to get used to it, learn to relax and have fun with it.

In fight sports I think the adrenaline is worse for three reasons:
1) Very few people fight often enough to really get used to it. Compare that to a basketball star that can have multiple big performances per week.
2) The sheer amount of attention required in fighting is constant. In most sports you alternate between the attention (like you have the ball or are trying to get it) and other more relaxed states.
3) There is an innate "fear" stress on top of all the others. You are literally in real danger of life-altering injury at every moment.

That's not the only.

Sprinting and poly drills improve/work on explosion.

I DESPISE sprints but yeah, they work.

My high school football coach would make us do 10 - 50 yard sprints AFTER a 2 hour practice.

I was a nose tackle, so yeah, it fuqqin SUCKED!

Professionals do not complete only 1-2 times a year while getting way out of shape or injured in between.

It's not that simple.

You work on cardio, you lose strength and mass which means power suffers.

You work on power and cardio suffers.

It depends on the individual.

I'd rather have more AA vs Travis Browne fights than a Yair vs Bruce Leeroy fight
A real professional would find a way to balance the two. Look at the cardio difference between Stipe and Francis. They both are big dudes and both have plenty of power. Francis was completely gassed after one round. All that power did nothing to stop him from getting embarrassed. Balance is key.

Hitting the punching bag “full power” for 45 mins?? Are you serious?

B02B4A69-0DFC-47F4-A4DF-E58F40F75F74.gif B02B4A69-0DFC-47F4-A4DF-E58F40F75F74.gif

Back