Professionals gassing in round 2?

Stress, adrenaline, and weight cuts. It doesn't sound like much, but stress is a a huge part of it.

I'm not pro, but I was always able to go for good rounds in sparring, bagwork, and high paced padwork. First exhibition, I gassed near the end of the 1st

Any high ranked fighter that gasses early is unprofessional in my opinion. If you make at least 6 figures a year you can afford to hire a strength and conditioning coach. I think they can even work at the UFC Performance Institute for free. There's no excuse for having horrible cardio when it's a huge part of your success or lack of. As Floyd would say "Hard Work."

Don't forget that many pros will fight even if they are ill.

A small cold or fever can lower your stamina dramatically.

I can run a marathon when I'm healthy.
When I've got a cold I can barely run for a few minutes without getting tired.

Fights aren't endurance contests.

You want fight ending power or the ability to pitter patter for 15 minutes?

I've always advocated for 3 minute rounds. It would put the emphasis on ending a fight by giving fighters the ability to go harder without fear of running out of gas.

The way is stands now you have choose between the 2.
This is stupid. MMA came to be with no time or long rounds
Pride in 10, UFC in 5 (with previous unrestricted).
You just want to see bombs. Go and watch Butterbean.

It happens, the nerves and everything running high adrenaline all that play a factor. It’s just a different feeling once you’re inside the ring.

It is weird. Boxing training will always include a couple rounds of sparring, a mile run (or three 800m races at the track), and few rounds of non-stop (alternating 30 seconds fast as possible, 30 seconds hard as possible), few rounds of mitt work, and so forth. I'm sure the professionals are doing that level, since every boxing gym I've been to has that sort of regimen. So I'm confident they can output a couple hours of intense activity in a familiar training environment at least.

The gassing is also perplexing when comparing with other heavy athletes. Consider NBA and someone big like LeBron sprinting back and forth for most of a game. In fact I remarked about Harden (listed at 220lbs) in his game wasn't even sweating in the 3rd quarter. These guys simply don't really gas out.

So I think it has to do with adrenaline. There is something about the attention needed when being worried about being hit that gets you so pumped that your endurance will go to sh*t. Basically I suspect that a fight sport spikes adrenaline more than other sports.

To support this theory -- think of HW that had endurance like Ali. He could bounce around all fight and I think that was because he was relaxed. In fact many of the guys with the most endurance (even in lower weight classes) seem to also be having most fun and most relaxed. I think that also explains the basketball guys -- those guys are having fun despite the intensity.

The alternative theory is that the HW fighters simply aren't up to the level of professional athletes in other sports. I often hear people say that "HW that are also good athletes choose other sports like football".

The answer may be combo of both factors.

Any high ranked fighter that gasses early is unprofessional in my opinion. If you make at least 6 figures a year you can afford to hire a strength and conditioning coach. I think they can even work at the UFC Performance Institute for free. There's no excuse for having horrible cardio when it's a huge part of your success or lack of. As Floyd would say "Hard Work."
It's not that simple.

You work on cardio, you lose strength and mass which means power suffers.

You work on power and cardio suffers.

It depends on the individual.

I'd rather have more AA vs Travis Browne fights than a Yair vs Bruce Leeroy fight

MMA is still a new sport. The training has yet to be calibrated. MMA training is still vastly based on Bro-Science and "he said she said this works" philosophy.

For example, Conor beats a couple of rookies and 3-and-something fighters, and everybody started considering the merits of "touch butt with some dork in the park."

But look at all the fighters who have tried touch butt training e.g. Luke Rockhold and Carlos Condit, they got smashed.

As it stands, the best possible humans are not yet competing in MMA (in large proportions) and effective training regimen have not yet been codified. The sport is still in its early developmental stage.

This is stupid. MMA came to be with no time or long rounds
Pride in 10, UFC in 5 (with previous unrestricted).
You just want to see bombs. Go and watch Butterbean.
You clearly missed an above post where I said no rounds or no time limit would be the best scenario imo.

And I want to see bombs because actual world fights last less than a minute and "bomb" are commonly the weapon of choice.

I get the concept and purpose of it but I personally never do it. Imo it’s better to just stretch.

Stretching decreases strength and speed. It is better to properly warm up and do no stretching.

Stretching is for after your workout.

You clearly missed an above post where I said no rounds or no time limit would be the best scenario imo.

And I want to see bombs because actual world fights last less than a minute and "bomb" are commonly the weapon of choice.
Actual world fights are for people who don't actually fight typically. I didn't read all other posts, I'm sorry.

Stretching decreases strength and speed. It is better to properly warm up and do no stretching.

Stretching is for after your workout.
What?
No stretching before you throw a headkick?
You mad.

Get hot.
Get a second wind and get out nervous energy.
Do a bit of dynamic stretching.

You need them all to be ready to fight.

I'd be doing zen type things before a big fight.
I'm like GSP before a fight. Well, I used to compete in TKD that was based more on points, techniques and all that rather than smashing a guy into the ground. I was nervous before those fights and I would constantly do these nervous yawns. Dunno what I would be like before a fight with an elite brute fighter of a man. Probably worse than men like GSP and Mike Tyson.
So, I would be trying zen and yoag type things to find inner coherence.

And, when I first started going to tournies, nervous energy would seriously gas me out quick. As time went on I learnt to conserve my energy better.

Adrenaline dump is real.

Oh, is that only for MMA?

I hat eto keep bringing up Lewis because he is a fatty but there was no adrenaline dump in that fight.

They walked to the center, touched gloves and casually strolled around the octagon for 4+ rounds.

Are they not training to go all out for at least 30 minutes?

Heavyweights...seems to me that if they simply hit the heavy bag, full power for 45 minutes without rest, they wouldn't gas after throwing 6 combos in a fight.

Rewatched Hunt vs Lewis and still don't understand how Beast gassed from throwing a bunch of lazy kicks and a few punch combos.

They didn't grapple at all, no Greco...nothing but walking around and casually throwing a technique every 30 seconds and he fetal positioned on his feet from exhaustion.

Crazy.
Lewis seems to suffer from a back injury which might hinder him from doing the strength and conditioning needed to get better cardio. He threw his back out the night before his fight with Werdum while in his hotel room I'm sure if his back is that fucked he avoids certain stuff in training.

It's not that simple.

You work on cardio, you lose strength and mass which means power suffers.

You work on power and cardio suffers.

It depends on the individual.

I'd rather have more AA vs Travis Browne fights than a Yair vs Bruce Leeroy fight

Hitting the heavy bag works both strength and cardio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back