Professionals gassing in round 2?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Are they not training to go all out for at least 30 minutes?

Heavyweights...seems to me that if they simply hit the heavy bag, full power for 45 minutes without rest, they wouldn't gas after throwing 6 combos in a fight.

Rewatched Hunt vs Lewis and still don't understand how Beast gassed from throwing a bunch of lazy kicks and a few punch combos.

They didn't grapple at all, no Greco...nothing but walking around and casually throwing a technique every 30 seconds and he fetal positioned on his feet from exhaustion.

Crazy.

giphy.gif

Well what can I say? Heavyweights basically suck.

It happened a lot more often about 4-5 yrs ago. I can't even count how many fights i bet on where my guy was dominating and then he turned into a zombie early in the second rd

i'm no groundhog expert, but i imagine many fighters get so nervous before their fights that it drains them (similar to adrenalin dump). something they wouldnt encounter during training.

Urijah Faber said he has a work out that kills him in 5-10 minutes. He can also clearly fight for 30mins

These fighters don't agree on the pace. They gamble with it.

Maybe they shouldn't warm up?

That's another thing I never understood. Isnt warming up simply a waste of energy?

Fights aren't endurance contests.

You want fight ending power or the ability to pitter patter for 15 minutes?

I've always advocated for 3 minute rounds. It would put the emphasis on ending a fight by giving fighters the ability to go harder without fear of running out of gas.

The way is stands now you have choose between the 2.

I've always advocated for 3 minute rounds. It would put the emphasis on ending a fight by giving fighters a the ability to go harder without fear of running out of gas.

This could be exciting and lead to great types of fights, but in terms of fighting purity, no thanks. Not interested at all. Those rules heavily encourage certain styles.

Come on now, just looking at Derrick you can tell he doesn’t put enough work in the cardio department. A smart fighter would attack him to the body all fight. Donald Cerrone style. Make him hold his tummy wantin to take a shit mid fight.

This could be exciting and lead to great types of fights, but in terms of fighting purity, no thanks. Not interested at all. Those rules heavily encourage certain styles.
All rules favor someone whether we accept it or not.

Hell the 10 minute round 1 in pride favored BJJ guys.

Current atmosphere in UFC (MMA in general if you ask me) favor strikers. We've been steadily seeing quicker stand ups and resets rather than having fighters fight out of positions.

Come on now, just looking at Derrick you can tell he doesn’t put enough work in the cardio department. A smart fighter would attack him to the body all fight. Donald Cerrone style. Make him hold his tummy wantin to take a shit mid fight.
Travis Browne that you?

Are they not training to go all out for at least 30 minutes?

Going all out means using all your energy. By definition you can't go all out for 30 minutes. Taking damage also has a huge effect on cardio. Hitting a bag is different than getting punched in the face and body.

All rules favor someone whether we accept it or not.

Hell the 10 minute round 1 in pride favored BJJ guys.

That's not the issue for me.

It's the ability to perform all different styles of combat, even slow bad Wonderboy type fights.

I will happily give up forced "exciting" fights for openness of styles and creativity.

That's not the issue for me.

It's the ability to perform all different styles of combat, even slow bad Wonderboy type fights.

I will happily give up forced "exciting" fights for openness of styles and creativity.
Nah force fights.

Use smaller cage and 3 minute rounds imo.

Force engagements not staring contests.

Considering I've gassed in two minutes of sparring before just from my adrenaline going nuts, I'd imagine that's a factor for some.

It can't be easy to be in there with a giant ass human who is always potentially one shot away from leaving you unconscious and helpless in from of your family, and the world of course.

Maybe they shouldn't warm up?

That's another thing I never understood. Isnt warming up simply a waste of energy?
I get the concept and purpose of it but I personally never do it. Imo it’s better to just stretch.

Back