Prime Mark Coleman Vs Randy Couture?

Who would have won if the fight happened in their primes?

• Total voters
Coleman was pure takedowns and GnP.

Don't forget he had vicious neck cranks as well...

neck%20crank%20article.jpg

I like Coleman but even for the time he was overrated. His best career wins were Don Frye, who would be a middleweight these days, 45 year old Dan Severn, and Igor Vovanchyn who was exhausted after beating freaking Mark Kerr just half-an-hour before. He lost to Mo Smith and Peter Williams for Christ's sake. Compare to Couture's best wins. Couture also handled Prime Randleman with ease, and most people accept that Randleman was a faster, better version of Coleman (his coach).

Arguably Coleman's best performances came in his last UFC run and just before the Couture fight, rag dolling Stephen Bonner and then almost doing the same to Shogun (about 30 seconds away from winning a decision, and Shogun knocked out Liddell in his next fight, and then had the two title fights with Machida).

Coleman has fallen on hard times recently, and even put his UFC belt up for sale. I believe he needed the money for a hip replacement or something.
There's the myth again about Coleman almost winning the Shogun fight lol. Fun fight to watch. Shogun clearly won the first round and the 2nd round was just hilarious because both fighters gassed out but Shogun edged out the round. Early in the 3rd round Coleman gets an early takedown and lays on Shogun until ref stands them up and Shogun starts winning the standup and starts beating him down until ref steps in. Maybe the judges gave Coleman the 2nd but if the fight wasn't stopped in the 3rd, Shogun was winning the round before it was stopped and he would have continued to win the remaining 30 seconds because Coleman could only lean against the cage at that point. Shogun pretty much dominated. Both fighters looked terrible. Crazy fight.

Funny........same bunch of IDIOTS that picked Yair to beat Frankie.......This clearly indicates Couture would win very easily.
Never once offered an opinion on that fight but hey make upwhat you want I guess as long asit supports your dumbass narrative.

Coleman is physically superior. Randy, intellectually. Voted Coleman, but essentially a coin flip IMO.

Coleman was more powerful, and would probably dominate early on like Randleman did against Randy. I believe Coleman was more ferocious than Kevin when in top control, and would most likely maul Randy, who'd be stopped or unable to muster a comeback later in the fight.

Coleman was always overrated…handy would dominate him! Poll should be more in favor of handy but at least sherdog is still getting it right.

Randy got absolutely mauled by Ricco Rodriguez and Josh Barnett....hence him dropping to 205...as long as it's at Heavyweight and not at that bullshit 205 where Mark didn't belong..... I like Coleman's chances...Prime Coleman beat fucking Don Frye 2x for Christ sakes....Randy is not a bigger threat than Frye...Coleman by routine GnP

Major, major overstatement, especially regarding the Ricco fight. Ricco took over in the later rounds, but that version of Ricco and any version of Barnett are vastly superior fighters to any version of Coleman that's ever existed.

Coleman would probably be able to hit the blast double on Randy a couple times, but prime Randy was a very, very savvy grappler with excellent scrambles and decent subs to go with a standup game that Mark just never really developed. Don't forget, Randy outstruck Chuck and Timmeh at various points throughout his career. When you factor in his ridiculous cardio and match it against Mark's terrible gas tank, I see Randy finishing it late, especially if it's a 5-rounder.

An interesting question to ask here is when were Couture and Coleman in their respective primes? In Randy's case, I'd say he hit it when he was damn near 40!

The results of this thread leave me as baffled as people's take on Lesnar/Prime Kerr. I just don't see how Coleman beats Couture. At all.

Randy wins only because of cardio. Watch him take out randleman, those explosive wrestlers gas quick. Coleman would have gassed and I don't think he would finish Couture before he did. After Coleman gasses Randy has his way with the fight.

Hard to say when Randy was in his prime because he stayed good unnaturally long and his technique and ring craft improved offsetting any physical decline...

Randy would have lit him up on the feet but I think with 30lbs or so on him Coleman would have been able to double leg him into the matt and smash him with GnP.

Randy was 220ish in his prime and Coleman was what what? 250lbs?

Coleman TKO for me.

Also the Rule set probably matters, in Pride Coleman really made use of the Knees on the ground, in early UFC's he headbutted people senseless... Modern unifies rules might have saved Couture, probably give him a much better chance fighting under these

Mark smashes Randy's head in the first but Randy has a rock head and subs Mark in the 2nd via RNC after Mark is gassed

I like Coleman but even for the time he was overrated. His best career wins were Don Frye, who would be a middleweight these days, 45 year old Dan Severn, and Igor Vovanchyn who was exhausted after beating freaking Mark Kerr just half-an-hour before. He lost to Mo Smith and Peter Williams for Christ's sake. Compare to Couture's best wins. Couture also handled Prime Randleman with ease, and most people accept that Randleman was a faster, better version of Coleman (his coach).

Arguably Coleman's best performances came in his last UFC run and just before the Couture fight, rag dolling Stephen Bonner and then almost doing the same to Shogun (about 30 seconds away from winning a decision, and Shogun knocked out Liddell in his next fight, and then had the two title fights with Machida).

Coleman has fallen on hard times recently, and even put his UFC belt up for sale. I believe he needed the money for a hip replacement or something.

this post is completely ridiculous and full of nonsense lol

First, Don Frye was a legit 220 lb guy. So, he might be a LHW not MW. And lol at saying anything about Igor. Igor was the scariest HW fighter in MMA at the time. He was on a 35 fight win streak or something. Also, Igor fought Mark Kerr like, 10 months before he fought Coleman. He faced Sakuraba in the semi's of the OWGP.

Why is losing to Maurice Smith a bad thing? He was a pioneer and game changer?

Mark Coleman's prime was in 96-97. If he faced Randy in the UFC at that time with those rules, even the best version of Randy would have been headbutted into next year. Mark Coleman from that era would beat most men that compete today if it was a NHB fight. It's a completely different game than today's. That's why he did well in Pride too, because he was allowed to wear his shoes, use knees etc. It wasn't quite as restrictive as the UFC is today.

No knock on Randy, he's a beast. But Coleman in 96 was a monster.

And No, Kevin Randleman wasn't a better version of Mark Coleman. He was another awesome fighter, perhaps the next generation's Mark Coleman, but he wasn't better at their peaks.

Couture would walk through Coleman at any time in their careers, you know that, we all know that.

Absolutely no doubt that Couture would own Coleman - shocked that this is even a debate.

Randy was a lot more well rounded and "modern" as a fighter, he developed with the game and in fact was still elite in 2008 despite being old.

Coleman was as one dimensional as you can possibly be, very strong but old school.

Back