• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Prime Lennox Lewis vs Prime Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it me or have there been too many "prime _____ vs prime _____" threads in the boxing section lately? lol

that said i think a prime ali wins it. dude had a granite chin plus he was fucking quick and had great footwork. imo ali in the 60s >>> all.

I don't understand how people can say this would be an easy fight for Ali. Both had good jabs and good technical boxing. Ali had a speed advantage, but Lewis had a power advantage. Overall I'd give the edge to Ali due to better overall ring generalship, but it could go either way.

And saying Lewis had no chin is just stupid.

This would be an interesting match up. I'm pretty confident Ali would take it with his speed and jab but Lennox is a big guy himself and i'd give him the power advantage. But at times, Ali was so slick that it's hard for me to see Lennox taking it.

Depends on which Ali we are talking about.

Pre or post Frazier?

Pre loses.

Post wins.

A few years ago, I remember watching a special.

Lennox Lewis was still The Man at Heavyweight.

Muhammad Ali came out to say a few words to the crowd.
He could still talk; it's a bit hard to understand some of what he says, but when he spoke that night, he spoke very clear.

Anyway, all these top fighters were in dark suits and were sitting in a row on the stage, Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, I don't remember if Tyson was there or not. and Ali goes to the mic and says to the crowd:

"I'm here because I was the Greatest."

Applause.
Then Ali turned and pointed straight at Lennox Lewis, and said:

"Now, he's the Greatest."

It was a special moment to see Muhammad Ali giving Lennox Lewis so much respect that night on the stage.

To anyone who thinks that a Prime Lennox Lewis is an easy fight for anyone please put the pipe down.

Lewis was never dominated. Klitschko may have been winning the fight but not by a great margin and Lennox was starting to land cleanly.

Maybe I'm just a fan of Lennox but I really have a hard time seeing anyone beating him at his best

What would people call "Prime Lewis" anyway? Lewis seemed to get better with age and experience (although when he was off, he was REALLY off), whereas a lot of people would call the younger, faster Ali 'Prime'

Lewis lands the way cooper did it's over.

Lewis wasn't much of a hook artist he was much better with the straight right, and walking people onto his uppercut. I can not see Lennox Knocking Ali out, I could see him winning a decision though maybe.

To anyone who thinks that a Prime Lennox Lewis is an easy fight for anyone please put the pipe down.

Lewis was never dominated. Klitschko may have been winning the fight but not by a great margin and Lennox was starting to land cleanly.

Maybe I'm just a fan of Lennox but I really have a hard time seeing anyone beating him at his best

Agreed. A young Lennox gets schooled quickly by a prime Ali, simply because of his cockiness and lack of smarts. A prime and "Stewarded" Lewis is patient and would box until the opportunity to unleash the bombs would come.

Ali has the speed and Lewis had the power. However, if Lewis would cut the ring, he would smother Ali and win by KO. Only way Ali wins is if he dances the night away with a decision. And I am a big fan of both.

Lewis wasn't much of a hook artist he was much better with the straight right, and walking people onto his uppercut. I can not see Lennox Knocking Ali out, I could see him winning a decision though maybe.
That's just wrong. Lewis had one of the best lead left hooks in the history of the heavyweight division (top 20 at least, maybe top 10). He had a huge range on it, with tons of speed and power.

Go back and watch a lot of those crushing knockouts of his. He didn't knock those guys out with the right hand; he knocked them out with the 3-2 (left hook/straight right hand) or the 3-4 (left hook/right cross). Watch him unload that combo on Andrew Golota, and just try to imagine any heavyweight in history not getting into SERIOUS trouble. Ali was open to the long left hook coming off the jab, and he could get hit with power leads, which Lewis was great at.

See, Ali wouldn't have to worry so much about the left hook, but about the 3-2 and 3-4. I could seriously see Lewis giving Ali a TON of trouble, especially since Ali has a history of struggling against larger guys. I mean, Ali is the greatest, but you have to look a little closer into matchups like these.

Ya i see what you are saying, it was hook that was the beginning of the end for Bruno as well. I meant it more that he wasn't a hook artist as in it was his go to punch, but i didn't realize or remeber how many people he hurt with the hook before dropping the right(briggs,golota, and Rahman he blinded with it). I also agree that Lennox is probably Ali's toughest opponent throughout the history of boxing along with Larry Holmes.

Prime Ali would be way to fast for Lewis. Lewis hasn't, in his whole career, seen speed like Ali's. Ali would slip and counter Lewis the whole fight. Ali by late KO/UD

Prime Ali would be way to fast for Lewis. Lewis hasn't, in his whole career, seen speed like Ali's. Ali would slip and counter Lewis the whole fight. Ali by late KO/UD

To be fair, who did Ali fight that was similar to Lewis?

No one really. But if you look at their styles, Lewis Technicality to Ali's speed, Ali is a bad match, stylistically, for Lewis. Ali has the speed to dodge Lewis Big right, the chin to take it if it hits, and enough power and speed to counter Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back