Prime Lennox Lewis vs Prime Muhammad Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanz_Blitz

BJJ all day
Banned
Reaction score
Now this is not at all comparing careers because Lewis, even had he faced and beat every good fighter of his era, just wouldn't have had the record of an Ali! In the 90's the competition wasn't and still isn't there.

What I'm asking is do you think stylistically a big long athletically gifted fighter, like Lewis, would've given Ali fits and do you think Ali's ring savvy and boxing intelligence could have solved the puzzle of a fighter with more length and general athleticism?

I have a hard time imagining a Prime Ali would have lost to any boxer of any era but I think Lennox definitely poses some of the more interesting problems style's wise........

Also thanks for the responses on the Prime Foreman vs Prime Tyson thread!!!!!

Lewis is/was a very good fighter and as someone else mentioned, the last "Dominate" heavyweight champ.

However that being said, Ali would slip all of Lewis's jabs and straights. I don't think there isn't anything in a Prime Lewis's arsenal that Ali wouldn't be able to counter.

Lewis would be a lot stronger/heavier and taller so would be in with a good chance of the KO, speed would go to Ali so he would win most rounds but I don't think he could avoid the big right for the duration

Ali was too quick for Lewis. Plus Ali wasn't a shrimp either, he had a pretty good reach so it wouldn't be that big of a reach disadvantage.

Prime Ali would take this fight easily. He was the greatest HW ever period.

Lewis would be a lot stronger/heavier and taller so would be in with a good chance of the KO, speed would go to Ali so he would win most rounds but I don't think he could avoid the big right for the duration

Lennox doesn't enough power to knock Ali out. The glass chinned Tommy Morrison said he was not impressed with Lewis's power. No way he'd be able to stop one of the best punch resistence people in history.

Ali takes this. Bruno was able to outbox Lewis most of the way, ali would do the same. I know that was pre manny steward Lewis but i still think Ali takes it in a good fight.

i pers. give lennox much more of a chance than the most of you, yes ali was great -
i don

Lewis has a pretty good jab, and if he could follow the old Eddie Futch model of countering Ali's jab with one of his own, he would have a definite shot.

I think Ali wins easy. Lewis never had much speed so I cant see how he would outbox a faster and more skilled ali. Holyfield arguably out boxed lewis in their rematch and he was getting on in age then, and mercer gave lewis hell also. Sure Lewis could box rings around bums and B class fighters but against quality fighters he wasnt THAT superior.

ali wins via far greater speed, a better jab, a far better chin, and far far far better boxing ability

Prime Lennox Lewis was a cocky fool at times.

Prime Ali was a cocky genius at times.

Still, prime Ali was pretty beat up already. You can't discount Lennox' power and reach.

Pick em fight IMO. Ali was great, but not as magical as people think. He never fought anyone like Lewis.

Lewis has a pretty good jab, and if he could follow the old Eddie Futch model of countering Ali's jab with one of his own, he would have a definite shot.

Good post. Lewis> Kenny Norton.

People are overly nostalgic about Ali. The guy was there to be hit and definetly had some flaws.

Lennox doesn't enough power to knock Ali out. The glass chinned Tommy Morrison said he was not impressed with Lewis's power. No way he'd be able to stop one of the best punch resistence people in history.

Big words coming from a man who was TKO'ed in the 6th.

Big words coming from a man who was TKO'ed in the 6th.

Its been a while since I saw it and my memory might be playing tricks but I am sure Morrison implied after the fight that he only lost cos Lewis had a longer reach !!

Lewis had a great left jab, not as good as Holmes' jab but still very good. He would have to jab at Ali and try and keep him away from him. Ali had speed and a great chin. He also has heart, he can take punishment as shown in the Frazier, Foreman fights and the length his career went on for.

As is seen in the career of Lewis, he is prone to making mistakes. I'm talking about McCall, Rahman etc. Personally I think Ali would have KO'd Lewis.

Remember the last fight that Lewis fought, Klitschko was handling him before the stoppage due to the cut.

To the TS, I think Larry Holmes vs Lennox Lewis would have been a better fight.

Its been a while since I saw it and my memory might be playing tricks but I am sure Morrison implied after the fight that he only lost cos Lewis had a longer reach !!

Just rewatched the Morrison/Lewis fight a couple of weeks ago, but the broadcast didn't have any post-fight interviews.

Morrison could fight and only had 3 losses in 52 fights, but he had the misfortune of stepping in with Lennox Lewis in his prime and at his best.

Any layman could see the class difference watching that fight.

Morrison had a puncher's chance, nothing more.

Oh, the Ali/Lennox fight, sorry, got distracted.

Snore fest.
Both guys were too defensive and preferred to go backwards all night having the opponent chase them around.

There's no aggressor here.

Who's wins?

Certainly not the fans.

Good post. Lewis> Kenny Norton.

People are overly nostalgic about Ali. The guy was there to be hit and definetly had some flaws.

1973 ali wasn't 1966 ali and I assume TS is talking about Prime Ali

Don't see how anyone could see this as an easy win for Ali.I could see lewis winning.Lewis has a greater chance of beating ali than joe louis ever would

Even to this day lewis is underrated by the internet boxing fans more so than larry holmes who was so underrated that he became overrated

1973 ali wasn't 1966 ali and I assume TS is talking about Prime Ali

Then he should say Cassius Clay.

IMO, Ali was prime when he beat the best fighters. Foreman, Frazier etc. He may have been more sound physically, but IMHO, Liston and Patterson, at the point Clay/Ali fought them were past their best.

Wins over Foreman and Frazier mean more. So to me, when he was at his best (prime by my understanding) wasn't necessarily when he was the youngest.

Don't see how anyone could see this as an easy win for Ali.I could see lewis winning.Lewis has a greater chance of beating ali than joe louis ever would

Even to this day lewis is underrated by the internet boxing fans more so than larry holmes who was so underrated that he became overrated

Yeah Lewis only lost when he got caught and one time was out of pure stupidity. No one ever really outboxed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back