Prime BJ vs Khabib Nurmagomedov

I don't ever want to see those size mismatches again. I would have loved to have seen BJ focus on Lightweight, where he was one of the best of all time.

But that’s what made BJ so great! BJ never cared that much for fighting guys that he could easily beat. He was always much more interested in fighting guys that give him a challenge, many of these being much bigger opponents. BJ is like the chihuahua that picks fights with pit bulls and that’s why he’s always gonna be one of my favorites.

People that judge BJ based on just his wins and losses don’t get it.

He was in stellar shape, that's for sure.

I just think Khabib's pressure would make anyone wilt.

It would have been a fight to see, absolutely. BJ's far more dangerous, while Khabib seems to have inevitability on his side.
i could see It being a close fight. BJ taking the first 2 rounds, khabib taking another 2 and one being a toss up. Stylistically It's a really Interesting matchup for sure. I think BJ matches up very well with him on paper but the fight would probably be determined In those later rounds. I think the Marinovich version of BJ probably could go 5 rounds without getting tired, even defending takedowns.

Lean towards khabib. Prime bj was great but I think he wilts after a round or two of being pressed against the cage

This is a myth. Hughes took him down. Pulver took him down. GSP took him down. Very hard to take down, especially when fresh, is a more apt statement.
Fair enough. Impossible is probably too much of an absolute word. This is a one year old thread, but I'll play.

BJ was a natural FW. Sure, three world champions were able to get him down. Matt Hughes was a monster wrestler and ended up getting submitted twice. He would go for the take down and BJ would hop around on one leg; a few times losing his footing and getting back up.

Same as GSP fight 1. Georges got him down a few times, but it was not a take down clinic. He paid dearly for it in the first fight and needed grease to do it in the second fight.
pennvsgsp_display_image.jpg

The Pulver fight was so long ago I don't really remember it that well to speak on It. Pulver was also a world champion.

The bottom line is the guy was a nightmare to take down, and later in his career I totally agree with you; when he was fresh.

Prime BJ was a guy who earned his black belt and won the world championships In 3 years. Had Insane flexibility, hips, heavy hands and was extremely difficult to take down.

Only people who think he was "never that good" are new fans with zero experience training martial arts.

Stylistically speaking, It feels like It would be a bad matchup for Khabib.
I'd take Khabib but I agree... It's sad how little understanding of the sports history many fans seem to have... It's one thing to say things like I dont think he was necessarily the best ever, but to claim guys like BJ, GSP, Fedor or Aldo were never good is just asinine

Yes. I've seen this "analysis" before....

Khabib moves forward with his hands down. Conor has a better ground game than MJ and Barboza and Khabib "struggled" to take down Barboza....It's certain Khabib will take down Conor and pummel him, buy hey, he might not finish him and Conor can land a strike...Oh and it's 50/50

I"m so glad I left the "analysis" for the "real MMA fans"....

So forgive me...You can post your "analysis" all you want, then beg people to read it. When it's utterly retarded, and totally misguided? Sorry you don't get points and you don't get me to take your seriously...
oh yeah mcgregor and his great ground game.......

Khabib
Easily
Best ww ever shut bj down and the original best Hughes
So old school
Bj is better vs strikers

I know all logic says otherwise but I can envision prime BJ boxing Khabibs ears off

Back