Power Hungry UC Berkeley Cop takes all cash from a Hotdog Street Vendor's wallet. Right or Wrong?

Screw the money, seize the hot dogs and feast like a king for the rest of the week.

Screw the money, seize the hot dogs and feast like a king for the rest of the week.
I would've bought one of those hotdogs...they look pretty good.

Specially if I was publicly drinking like the camera guy snitching was saying LMFAO.

Sure write the ticket but if you agree with having his money stolen then obviously you don't like that he looks like an immigrant. The good thing is that this hard working man is winning in the end thanks to social media.

Sure write the ticket but if you agree with having his money stolen then obviously you don't like that he looks like an immigrant. The good thing is that this hard working man is winning in the end thanks to social media.
Im surprised we havn't gotten any "OMG the Governement can't steal your money like that", Taxes are theft people.

He should've gathered up all the uncooked dogs and threw them all at the cop while he was going through his wallet. Cop would've been like

<18>

Does the guy selling hot dogs have a permit? Does the area where he was selling them require a permit?

No and no? Why on earth do you think my sympathies would lie with him? He's not a victim. He's a lawbreaker. Fuck your petition.
The police officer isnt abiding by the law either, and neither were you when you j walked yesterday

breaking the law isnt just breaking the law. there are degrees of severity, and a violation for selling food without a permit is far less damning than using a badge to take a mans money.

That guy who shouts:
"You must have voted for Trump".

Did Trump make it illegal to sell hotdogs without a permit? Wtf I hate Trump now

I think everything requires a permit...Specially in a fickle place like Berkeley lol.

I cleaned out the garage, basement, and attic this weekend and I'm planning on hosting a garage sale next weekend.

Should I get a permit? Do I need a permit? Or am I good?

I don't remember my parents getting one when we did garage sales when I was growing up.

????

I cleaned out the garage, basement, and attic this weekend and I'm planning on hosting a garage sale next weekend.

Should I get a permit? Do I need a permit? Or am I good?

I don't remember my parents getting one when we did garage sales when I was growing up.

????

Check your local laws. If it is a small garage sale on your own property, probably no one is going to hassle you.

If you take all your shit down the park in the middle of the city and sell it there, don't come crying to us when the cops tell you to cut it out.

The police officer isnt abiding by the law either, and neither were you when you j walked yesterday
orly_owl.jpg

breaking the law isnt just breaking the law. there are degrees of severity, and a violation for selling food without a permit is far less damning than using a badge to take a mans money.
Breaking the law is breaking the law.

If a cop stopped me and cited me for jaywalking, I might be upset, if it was truly trivial and I wasn't endangering my own life or the flow of traffic, but I wouldn't be sitting there crying about, "Why can't I jaywalk? All I want to do is jaywalk whenever I want! There are degrees of severity to the law, and since it's convenient for me, personally, at this time, to not perceive this one as serious, I will, and on those grounds, I demand that I be allowed to continue breaking the law, and for everyone to be okay with it, and sympathize for poor little me."

In fact, these guys go out there without any FDA oversight of inspections. Why? Because they're not registered. They don't have to worry about maintaining a reputation with the health department where they keep their violations to a minimum. What does that mean? It means they're more likely to kill people or poison them.

Meanwhile, while most jaywalks are quite casual, and rational, in small towns on empty streets, jaywalking can also be quite serious. What happens when you go out and get yourself killed by someone? Now that person has massive automotive damage. They have to deal with an involuntary manslaughter charge. The taxpayer foots the bill cleaning up a pile-up that resulted. They also foot a strong portion of all the hospital bills because most people aren't actually paying into health care.

So, in fact, it's actually quite serious, but you approached it like a child, without any thought or knowledge of how the industry works, or why these laws exist in the first place, and you made asinine, childish comments because of that approach.

Change your approach.

Does the guy selling hot dogs have a permit? Does the area where he was selling them require a permit?

No and no? Why on earth do you think my sympathies would lie with him? He's not a victim. He's a lawbreaker. Fuck your petition.

so its okay for cop to literally rob you (take your cash from your wallet at the spot)? this aint robocop

so its okay for cop to literally rob you (take your cash from your wallet at the spot)?
What's the situation, Fanu?

I'm not a fan of that, but then again, I don't work this cop's beat. Cops can seize illicit funds for a wide variety of reasons. This has caused problems with property and monies being seized on occasion in suspected drug dens, for example, before the actual drug-selling activity had been confirmed, but those are exceptions.

Maybe this isn't the first time this cop has dealt with this guy. Maybe it's the 50th. Maybe he is one of dozens and dozens. Maybe these guys have figured out they can make enough profit on their rogue business operation before he comes along and cites them that it covers the fine of the citation, and they still come out ahead. He can't arrest them, so he's playing whack-a-mole. He got fed up and decided to try another tactic that possibly falls under the purview of his authority.

The point is that I'm not getting worked up and signing some petition because somebody tried to provoke me, emotionally, with a YouTube clip that lacks all the necessary context. The problem here isn't the cop. That's the forest that is getting lost in these trees. The cop isn't the problem. Maybe he became part of the problem, or added his own to the mix, but the principal cause of this unsavory confrontation wasn't him. It was the lawbreaking activities of Mr. Illegal Hot Dog Vendor.

He is to blame. He is at fault. He is the bad guy.

It's time this country pulled its head out of its ass and saw the plain truth of that. So let's get upset first at him before we turn our attention to the cop, and when we do, perhaps we can first review if the cop actually violated the boundaries of his authority. After all, if he didn't, then this conversation isn't about him, but about the law, but we didn't even stand a chance to get there because of the OP and its anti-authority confirmation bias.

so its okay for cop to literally rob you (take your cash from your wallet at the spot)? this aint robocop

Yes. Poor little Jose The Street Vendor will have his day in court like the cop said. If he really dindu nuffin then the judge should get him his money back.

I'm with You on this except he should only get a fine and a trespass notice.
Civil forfeiture is only good if it applys to everyone and bankers never have to lose their ill gotten gains

you have to look at it this way.

a dealer selling weed on the corner would get his weed & profits confiscated correct?

the dude was making a profit illegally since he had no permit.

Why does one require a permit to sell hot dogs?
Serious (if stupid) question.

Because adults are not capable of looking after themselves. That is why we need big government to save us from ourselves.

I am also glad that government has this as a priority. We may have just saved the future of the country by smacking down this illegal vendor. That is much more important than combating frivolous spending at the pentagon or the government's collusion with Monsanto.

I feel safer now.

Back