Power Hungry UC Berkeley Cop takes all cash from a Hotdog Street Vendor's wallet. Right or Wrong?

permits allow you to sell at a fixed location(s) only if you have a cart. trucks are a different story but then that's when the DMV is involved too.

They restrict you in certain states and or counties to fixed locations but no not all permits require fixed locations for hot dog carts. There is no fixed address for a hot dog cart it's a traveling business which depends on location for it's business which is the beauty of it.

They restrict you in certain states and or counties to fixed locations but no not all permits require fixed locations for hot dog carts. There is no fixed address for a hot dog cart it's a traveling business which depends on location for it's business which is the beauty of it.

welp, I guess its a matter of how laws differ from state to state. here in NY a permit allows you fixed location(s) only, obviously because there are carts everywhere.

again, I don't even know what we're discussing here because I already stated that the government whats their share & the permits also abide by safety rules & regulations.

You don't need to show any identification to get a permit? Pretty hard to disappear into the wind like Whitey Bulger these days when a 5 second search on the internet can get you a map to anybody's home, and the K9 unit can smell the hot dog cart a mile away.

And requiring people to have permits and pay taxes makes it fair for the brick and mortar places (that make up a community) that are legit. You are acting like cops have the ethics of a prison gang.

The point is what are they gonna bust him for ? Do you think people are going to read his permit before they eat their hot dog and get the shits the next morning ? Hey guys that guy sold me a shitty hot dog read his permit number!!! Call the food and safety administration lets shut down his business!! Meanwhile he loads his hot dog stand into the back of his tacoma and takes off down the road. Hey guys lets call the FBI's top ten most wanted fugitives division

The point is what are they gonna bust him for ? Do you think people are going to read his permit before they eat their hot dog and get the shits the next morning ? Hey guys that guy sold me a shitty hot dog read his permit number!!! Call the food and safety administration lets shut down his business!! Meanwhile he loads his hot dog stand into the back of his tacoma and takes off down the road. Hey guys lets call the FBI's top ten most wanted fugitives division

sure, for example, some pissed off mom who spent the night in the ER with her kids is going to make a deal out of it. she isn't going to remember the permit #, but she can remember where she was, and can look through a few permit photos until she sees the dude he sold her the rancid meat.

I looked it up and as of September 2016 a bill in California now requires a criminal conviction before police agencies can receive proceeds from property valued under $40,000 taken under federal law. There's always been a state law which required criminal conviction to seize property valued under $25,000 but since property seized under federal law was exempt, the police would partner with a federal agency to seize the property and receive most of the proceeds anyway. They can't do anymore.
That law enforcement "loophole" wouldn't be relevant, anyway, because the arrest/seizure didn't involve federal officers.

sure, for example, some pissed off mom who spent the night in the ER with her kids is going to make a deal out of it. she isn't going to remember the permit #, but she can remember where she was, and can look through a few permit photos until she sees the dude he sold her the rancid meat.

i'm just imagining how funny that scene would be she's going through a picture flip book of hot dog vendors one by one with the detective right by her bed side. "yea that's the guy.. that's the guy who sold me the bad hot dog" "it was all i ate that day detective just that one hot dog" oh come on that would make the local food and safety administration liable for licensing and giving him the permit in the first place. Legally it's not going to work that way you need actual evidence not just oh I ate a hot dog here and i got sick it must be the hot dog that doesn't hold up in court.

depends on the age. dude selling hot dogs on the street without a permit could have just taken them out of the garbage behind a grocery store and grilled them up.

But couldn't someone with a permit, in theory, do the same?

i'm just imagining how funny that scene would be she's going through a picture flip book of hot dog vendors one by one with the detective right by her bed side. "yea that's the guy.. that's the guy who sold me the bad hot dog" "it was all i ate that day detective just that one hot dog" oh come on that would make the local food and safety administration liable for licensing and giving him the permit in the first place. Legally it's not going to work that way you need actual evidence not just oh I ate a hot dog here and i got sick it must be the hot dog that doesn't hold up in court.

You are acting like food poisoning isn't something that is taken seriously, like they don't trace cases of food poisoning back to a bag of lettuce, or tainted hamburgers etc., with the evidence being the pathogen in the stool sample at the hospital. And obviously, it wouldn't just be the one person getting sick, you would have all of the people who ate the rancid meat needing to go to the hospital, with the common denominator being that they ate a shitty hot dog from some street vendor.

And it wouldn't be the cops doing the investigation, so get that image out of your head.

Why does one require a permit to sell hot dogs?
Serious (if stupid) question.

You have to take a class and be certified in food handling, prep and safety to sell food. So people don't die or get sick. You have to have a permit to sell food so food inspectors can inspect your operation to make sure you are following proper protocol.

It really is a public safety concern. I hate the government, but there are lots of retards out there that don't know how to handle food properly or keep temps in safe ranges, so I agree with some regulation.

But couldn't someone with a permit, in theory, do the same?

Of course, but there is a paper trail, they have gone through the effort to get to get a business up and running legally, and they want to keep their businesses, so the odds are much better of you getting clean food from someone like that than from some guy who is doing it illegally.

It's currently legal and the cops do it all the time. Not only that, they get to keep it and use it for police budget after a certain time expires.

depends on the age. dude selling hot dogs on the street without a permit could have just taken them out of the garbage behind a grocery store and grilled them up.
freedom sausages

ITT Mick gets mad because in America you need a permit to disagree with someone.

a shady example of US LEO committing asset seizure?

no, never

I am for enforcing laws and not letting him piggyback off tax paying businesses without a permit

I'm not okay from just emptying out the dudes wallet, essentially an armed robber shaking him down. It's not like the cop is giving the cash back to a victim or using the money to clean up whatever externality the hot dog guy caused

Vendors need to meet specific food safety requirements in order to legally sell food. Obtaining a permit indicates that they've been inspected once or twice and have completed the steps required to meet those minimum safety requirements.
you need a permit for safety reasons. what if some sick fuck sells poison hot dogs on a random corner on any random day & just disappears into the wind?

the permit ensures the likelihood that there would be no foul play.

It makes sense...But the reality is that food places get a heads up of an inspection coming.

Why does this matter? because food places suddenly start cleaning and try to meet inspection code, when they have been shitty most of the time.

I understand it makes them more accountable and I understand the logic behind it...but it's not really that efficient when they have a heads up to clean.

I seen plenty of shitty places just start cleaning once they know inspection is coming...then once they pass it, they stop giving a shit lol...BTW Im not against permits.

Pedro should have thrown more hot dogs at the cop's face since he has nothing to lose now.

<18>

Back