Potential death of PC Gaming: Microsoft looking to acquire EA, Valve, PUBG [RUMOR]

I'm new to PC gaming so can't compare today to the old days but Steam seems like a great platform. It's hard to believe MS wouldn't kill it as a standalone program and try to integrate it into Windows so for that reason I'm not a fan of a Valve buyout.
Because Steam is so damn great on Linux/SteamOS? Where only 6.4% of the overall library resides, and ~99% of that library is outperformed by machines running Steam on Windows?

Linux will be fine. People will just WINE it; if for no other reason than the usual: simply so that they can brag they WINE something. Doesn't need to make sense.

Microsoft buying EA would be great, they have an eye for markets and might bring back Fight Night.

You can get quality gaming ready PCs so much cheaper now too. Prebuilts for gaming as well that don't suck and aren't as overpriced as they used to be.

You don't need a minor in computer science and real job to game like you used to.
That's very true. That's one good thing about the PS4 and Xbone being less powerful at launch than previous systems, it didn't take a beast pc to play current gen games at decent settings. We had plenty of time for pc hardware to go well above consoles cheaply by the time the Pro/X versions came out too.

When I built my current system, I bought an r480, I can still push pretty much anything at very high settings and it didn't break my bank. Good times :)

Andromeda had some stuff in it that was a significantly larger step in that direction than any of Bioware's previous titles. Example: the totally forced and tone-deaf transsexual dialogue on the first planet that ultimately had to be removed when actual trans people let them know it was horseshit.
Using pronouns for the Asari...someone on that dev team needs to get slapped :D

Lets face it a trained monkey could make a computer nowadays. After 5 years off from PC gaming I built a computer from scratch without knowing a single thing about it, now my $3,500.00 beast is killing it.

That's very true. That's one good thing about the PS4 and Xbone being less powerful at launch than previous systems, it didn't take a beast pc to play current gen games at decent settings. We had plenty of time for pc hardware to go well above consoles cheaply by the time the Pro/X versions came out too.

When I built my current system, I bought an r480, I can still push pretty much anything at very high settings and it didn't break my bank. Good times :)

I went prebuilt after building my PCs my entire life since grade school.

I never bought myself anything nice so I did. I spent a pretty penny on an Origin PC and laptop to go with it.

Because Steam is so damn great on Linux/SteamOS? Where only 6.4% of the overall library resides, and ~99% of that library is outperformed by machines running Steam on Windows?

Linux will be fine. People will just WINE it; if for no other reason than the usual: simply so that they can brag they WINE something. Doesn't need to make sense.
Did you see there’s Wine for Android now?

You can get quality gaming ready PCs so much cheaper now too. Prebuilts for gaming as well that don't suck and aren't as overpriced as they used to be.

You don't need a minor in computer science and real job to game like you used to.

Lets face it a trained monkey could make a computer nowadays. After 5 years off from PC gaming I built a computer from scratch without knowing a single thing about it, now my $3,500.00 beast is killing it.
In the AIO market I see three entry price points for PC gamers, now, that have held relatively steady for at least a year:

*Special Note: Console gamers should understand that these are immediate parameters, and for about 18-24 months going forward. The $550 model, for example, is technically more powerful than the original PS4, and could handle 1080p AAA gaming (or higher) for all titles from around 2014 and earlier, and also most from 2015-2016. It will run these older titles at a higher graphical quality than the consoles.

Unlike with Consoles, you can run the entire history of Windows games in compatibility mode if they aren't already compatible with the current version of Windows. Your accessible library with this machine dwarfs any console in history.

Finally, this machine is unwalled, and fully operational as a desktop. It's non-gaming capabilities transcend all the consoles put together.

Last edited:

Sorry, not following you. I never mentioned Linux and was just speculating that Microsoft might want to integrate the Steam platform into their OS somehow. I just bought a Win10 gaming PC this summer and like the way everything runs now.

I went prebuilt after building my PCs my entire life since grade school.

I never bought myself anything nice so I did. I spent a pretty penny on an Origin PC and laptop to go with it.
Nice! I bought a few prebuilt dells (then Alienware when they acquired them) in my day, as we had some great corporate deals, but I'm back to building with a friend's help, I was rusty lol. I always like to go above and beyond with my CPU at purchase because I hate having to reinstall everything. Upgrading cards/ram is so easy. That Nvidia 1080ti was so tempting but just so damn expensive, so I had to hop on the r480, such a great deal for the power at the time.

What are you running under the hood? I want to get in VR, but i'm waiting better iterations with a wider field of view, but of course I'll have to upgrade. Nvidia's new volta lineup looks promising!

Nice! I bought a few prebuilt dells (then Alienware when they acquired them) in my day, as we had some great corporate deals, but I'm back to building with a friend's help, I was rusty lol. I always like to go above and beyond with my CPU at purchase because I hate having to reinstall everything. Upgrading cards/ram is so easy. That Nvidia 1080ti was so tempting but just so damn expensive, so I had to hop on the r480, such a great deal for the power at the time.

What are you running under the hood? I want to get in VR, but i'm waiting better iterations with a wider field of view, but of course I'll have to upgrade. Nvidia's new volta lineup looks promising!

I have a Titan Z and an i7-5930K.

Build is about 2 years old now.

This is a pic of the case, not my actual PC. I have a very similar build though, same mobo installed inverted like that. Just one dual GPU though, not three lol.

floriginpcmillenium.jpg

Ya I knew barely anything about PC hardware initially and am typing from a pc right now that I built from scratch from watching YouTube videos, lol...

When I got into computers first in the early 90's there was no way to learn that kind of stuff on your own.

It's especially cheap if you want to play esport titles. You can throw a 1050ti in just about any i3 system since Sandy Bridge and hit 60fps at 720p. Step up to an i5 and hit 60fps at 1080.

Ya I knew barely anything about PC hardware initially and am typing from a pc right now that I built from scratch from watching YouTube videos, lol...

When I got into computers first in the early 90's there was no way to learn that kind of stuff on your own.

IRQ conflicts...

If MS bought Steam, I wonder how long it would take them to introduce Steam Live. It's only $50 a year to get the same services it always had folks...
32b.jpg

I'd like to see them work more closely together. I love that they've brought some great titles to Steam, but too much is held back. I'd love Halo titles on Steam with workshop supported.

I don't want them in any leadership position, pc gaming wise. They had their chance with Games For Windows live, what a mess. Their priorities are elsewhere, as their focus is on their consoles and I, like most pc gamers, hate closed systems like that.

I'd love to see them buy out EA, they can't do any worse.
My first thought was that if this happened I would never again have to deal with the Microsoft Store. The two times that I used it to try out Killer Instinct and Gears 4 were enough.

Microsoft buying EA would be great, they have an eye for markets and might bring back Fight Night.

Yeah, EA needs a change of management. If Microsoft buys them, maybe Bioware won't put out half finished games anymore.

Back