Potential death of PC Gaming: Microsoft looking to acquire EA, Valve, PUBG [RUMOR]

Did you see there’s Wine for Android now?
I did not, but I did see that they've got the new Pixelbook running all Android apps natively on the ChromeOS as you'd mentioned was on the horizon.

Marketing isn't the problem with Mass Effect Andromeda, it's identity politics. There was awful management too, they never really had the time to make a proper game because of interference from the suits. I don't think any amount of time would have improved the writing and social justice rot at its core though.

Yeah, and it's only going to get worse too.

Bioware Worries about ANTHEM’S success while Anita Sarkeesian visits studio

KedEleG6ly1Y7jwSPC5IE_Tsy88lDLNNsDh-bv1wyeQ.jpg

Bummed about Mass Effect being put on hiatus. EA took out Bioware Montreal now, I think the entire team is focusing solely on Anthem right now. I get the feeling that if Anthem bombs Bioware will be in serious trouble. Most of the old crew seems to have left over the past few years.

Bummed about Mass Effect being put on hiatus. EA took out Bioware Montreal now, I think the entire team is focusing solely on Anthem right now. I get the feeling that if Anthem bombs Bioware will be in serious trouble. Most of the old crew seems to have left over the past few years.
I'm very reserved for Anthem. Considering how EA execs have been acting, it seems they are only interested in monetization, which is why they greenlit this Destiny/looter shooter styled game. I'm not a fan of repeating the same generic missions ad nauseum to gain special loot, but I know a lot of people love them. When I think of Bioware though, I don't think looter, I think of a story driven purpose behind what I'm doing, coupled with compelling characters I get to know/see grow along the journey. I hope it's great, the trailer looked incredible.

After DA Inquisition and their uglified females/gender fluid elves, I had a hard time escaping into that world. I fucking hate gender politics, especially when they are being injected into a fantasy setting, it just breaks immersion. I loved DAO and KOTOR (2 was better though, bless Obsidian). Their world building and characters took me somewhere else. I always felt like BLM and ANTIFA nutters were just a cutscene away when playing Andromeda and DAI lol

Yikes, RIP Bioware. How many times do you have to touch a hot stove before you realize it'll burn you?

When I got into computers first in the early 90's there was no way to learn that kind of stuff on your own.

It never ceases to amaze me what you can learn from the internet.

I'm new to PC gaming so can't compare today to the old days but Steam seems like a great platform. It's hard to believe MS wouldn't kill it as a standalone program and try to integrate it into Windows so for that reason I'm not a fan of a Valve buyout.

Because Steam is so damn great on Linux/SteamOS? Where only 6.4% of the overall library resides, and ~99% of that library is outperformed by machines running Steam on Windows?

Linux will be fine. People will just WINE it; if for no other reason than the usual: simply so that they can brag they WINE something. Doesn't need to make sense.
Sorry, not following you. I never mentioned Linux and was just speculating that Microsoft might want to integrate the Steam platform into their OS somehow. I just bought a Win10 gaming PC this summer and like the way everything runs now.
Okay, allow me to explain. Yes, that's something Microsoft is likely to do if they purchase it. They'll bake it into the core Windows Operating System by default. What is lost by that? Windows gamers already use it. They want it. They have it installed. Microsoft is doing nothing but saving you a chore.

The largest group who stand to be angry about this are NOT gamers, but people who would perceive Steam itself as "bloat", and don't want it included by default on their pristine machine out-of-the-box. Furthermore, unlike all the crap bloatware from manufacturers like Lenovo, Asus, etc., there's nothing about Steam requiring that it use system resources as part of the boot process, and regardless, it's easy to turn this off.

Since storage requirements are NOT a major concern on desktops, unlike tablets or phones, there's really nothing of consequence impacting users as a matter of "bloat". It will simply supplant the crappy little "MS Games" branch of the Microsoft Store as their default games software depository.

The only other group-- the principal group-- who stand to be upset are Linux gamers because if Microsoft buys Steam, they likely won't be keen to maintain & update its Linux compatibility, so gamers who avoided buying Windows, or prefer to use Linux for whatever reason, will suddenly be left in the lurch. But really, who gives a fuck about Linux gaming? As I just pointed out, the Linux/SteamOS Steam library is only 6.4% the size of the Windows Steam library.

Furthermore, virtually every single one of those games performs better on Windows-- in terms of framerate or stability-- than on Linux (because every game developer in existence is devoting the lion's share of their time to optimizing for Windows: their actual market).

LOL! I am not getting that game.
Yeah, that was a Day 1 buy because of the trailer, but more so because I'd been led to believe that Anthem got the "real" A team while Andromeda was given the SJW squad in hopes it would be a smashing success of a social experiment (because they need the handicap of riding on some previous great team's coattails). Hell, it would have been a pre-order if it weren't for the fact that I've sworn off preordering forever following Andromeda.

Seeing this one tweet...Anthem is no longer a Day 1 buy for me. We're in a "wait and see" situation, now.

Last edited:
Valve is not and never will be for sale.

Holy fuck, that "gamer" girl still getting run? I hadn't heard her name in probably almost 2 years.

lol, of course she's hanging with Bioware Montreal.

LOL! I am not getting that game.

Yeah, that was a Day 1 buy because of the trailer, but more so because I'd been led to believe that Anthem got the "real" A team while Andromeda was given the SJW squad in hopes it would be a smashing success of a social experiment (because they need the handicap of riding on some previous great team's coattails). Hell, it would have been a pre-order if it weren't for the fact that I've sworn off preordering forever following Andromeda.

Seeing this one tweet...Anthem is no longer a Day 1 buy for me. We're in a "wait and see" situation, now.

I was excited after the trailer and after learning that Drew Karpyshyn was coming back to Bioware to help out with the game. (he's been with Bioware since late 1999, was one of the main guys on Balders Gate and was the Lead Writer for KOTOR 1, Mass Effect 1, and Mass Effect 2. In my opinion, that's 3 of the best American RPG's ever, let alone Bioware's peak).

But it seems like Bioware isn't going to let go of the gas pedal. What I don't get is, it's been shown time and time again that SJW pandering doesn't even draw money most of the time, yet instead of slowing downs companies seem to double down on it with the following release when the first one sees a decline in sales or weak reviews.

I wan't Bioware to succeed but I'm losing hope. I'm hoping the game delivers but I'm definitely going to wait and see before buying.

If MS bought Steam, I wonder how long it would take them to introduce Steam Live. It's only $50 a year to get the same services it always had folks...
32b.jpg

I'd like to see them work more closely together. I love that they've brought some great titles to Steam, but too much is held back. I'd love Halo titles on Steam with workshop supported.

I don't want them in any leadership position, pc gaming wise. They had their chance with Games For Windows live, what a mess. Their priorities are elsewhere, as their focus is on their consoles and I, like most pc gamers, hate closed systems like that.

I'd love to see them buy out EA, they can't do any worse.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they can't lock down the services on PC like they can on their Xbox. There's already 3rd Party services operating, like Ubisoft's and Activision. If they try to get greedy and charge their fee's like on the console, someone/somewhere will start another one to fill the void. Also, the voice chat programs are 3rd party, so you're not relying on them to play with your friends. Another example, for years you bought Minecraft directly through their own website. If it got ugly, the game developers could start releasing directly to the gamers and cut Steam out entirely.

Steam worked because it provided a convenient service to it's users. If it becomes inconvenient, the gamers will go elsewhere. PC gamers won't put up with the bullshit because they have options, console gamers don't.

The only thing Microsoft could do is pay huge fees to the game developers to make their games only available through Steam. While that sounds good for the developers, it doesn't mean shit if the gamers are pissed off and refuse to the buy their game because of Steam bullshit.

Last edited:

I was already on the fence since it appeared to be just another Destiny, which was fun for a little while but got old fast. So old that I didn’t even bother picking up Destiny 2, which is a bit unheard of for me. Usually if I like a game I’ll almost always pick up it’s sequel(s).

So if Anthem is just Destiny with a SJW agenda I’m definitely not interested.

Okay, allow me to explain. Yes, that's something Microsoft is likely to do if they purchase it. They'll bake it into the core Windows Operating System by default. What is lost by that? Windows gamers already use it. They want it. They have it installed. Microsoft is doing nothing but saving you a chore.

The largest group who stand to be angry about this are NOT gamers, but people who would perceive Steam itself as "bloat", and don't want it included by default on their pristine machine out-of-the-box. Furthermore, unlike all the crap bloatware from manufacturers like Lenovo, Asus, etc., there's nothing about Steam requiring that it use system resources as part of the boot process, and regardless, it's easy to turn this off.

Since storage requirements are NOT a major concern on desktops, unlike tablets or phones, there's really nothing of consequence impacting users as a matter of "bloat". It will simply supplant the crappy little "MS Games" branch of the Microsoft Store as their default games software depository.

The only other group-- the principal group-- who stand to be upset are Linux gamers because if Microsoft buys Steam, they likely won't be keen to maintain & update its Linux compatibility, so gamers who avoided buying Windows, or prefer to use Linux for whatever reason, will suddenly be left in the lurch. But really, who gives a fuck about Linux gaming? As I just pointed out, the Linux/SteamOS Steam library is only 6.4% the size of the Windows Steam library.

Furthermore, virtually every single one of those games performs better on Windows-- in terms of framerate or stability-- than on Linux (because every game developer in existence is devoting the lion's share of their time to optimizing for Windows: their actual market).
It's not a matter of bloat, it's whether MS can successfully integrate the Steam client into their OS while maintaining the same level of functionality. GFWL was a clusterfuck so that is far from a certainty. Valve's product is very good so I'm skeptical, that's all.

I'm also not a fan of eliminating what little competition MS currently has in the gaming space. There is no guarantee that they will devote the same attention and resources to an integrated Steam platform once Valve is not around to drive them. The reality is PC gaming does cut into Xbox revenues so there is a conflict of interest there.

Steam already killed pc gaming. Dogshit platform

I remember the days when you could launch day of defeat or counterstrike as stand-alone games and they would play smoothly. now your pc has to allocate resources to keep a badly written platform up while you play and it's not always smooth sailing
3316419-laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they can't lock down the services on PC like they can on their Xbox. There's already 3rd Party services operating, like Ubisoft's and Activision. If they try to get greedy and charge their fee's like on the console, someone/somewhere will start another one to fill the void. Also, the voice chat programs are 3rd party, so you're not relying on them to play with your friends. Another example, for years you bought Minecraft directly through their own website. If it got ugly, the game developers could start releasing directly to the gamers and cut Steam out entirely.

Steam worked because it provided a convenient service to it's users. If it becomes inconvenient, the gamers will go elsewhere. PC gamers won't put up with the bullshit because they have options, console gamers don't.

The only thing Microsoft could do is pay huge fees to the game developers to make their games only available through Steam. While that sounds good for the developers, it doesn't mean shit if the gamers are pissed off and refuse to the buy their game because of Steam bullshit.
I personally love Steam and have so many games on it. Valve isn't perfect, but I've had no problems with them and would hate to see a change in leadership, especially MS. I had a lot of bad experiences with them with the 360, which is why I chose the PS4 for my console of choice this gen

It's not a matter of bloat, it's whether MS can successfully integrate the Steam client into their OS while maintaining the same level of functionality. GFWL was a clusterfuck so that is far from a certainty. Valve's product is very good so I'm skeptical, that's all.

I'm also not a fan of eliminating what little competition MS currently has in the gaming space. There is no guarantee that they will devote the same attention and resources to an integrated Steam platform once Valve is not around to drive them. The reality is PC gaming does cut into Xbox revenues so there is a conflict of interest there.
So it's not that you're worried about it being baked into Windows. It's that you think Steam itself will go to shit. These are separate concerns.

Microsoft has beeing taking drastic measure to align the Xbox with PC gaming as a strategy to win back market share. If Microsoft owns Steam, there will be little to no conflict of interest, since Microsoft won't care which platform is generating the revenue, and will care very much about growing both to rival Playstation. It's the latter gamers who may find themselves cut out over and over as I would expect Microsoft to wield the strength of the PC + Xbox market's bartering power against exclusivity to the PS4.

Their profit isn't derived from Xbox console sales in the first place, after all. They just want people using and buying their software.

I do not understand the hype for Anthem. It looks like it would get boring in about an hour.

So it's not that you're worried about it being baked into Windows. It's that you think Steam itself will go to shit. These are separate concerns.

Microsoft has beeing taking drastic measure to align the Xbox with PC gaming as a strategy to win back market share. If Microsoft owns Steam, there will be little to no conflict of interest, since Microsoft won't care which platform is generating the revenue, and will care very much about growing both to rival Playstation. It's the latter gamers who may find themselves cut out over and over as I would expect Microsoft to wield the strength of the PC + Xbox market's bartering power against exclusivity to the PS4.

Their profit isn't derived from Xbox console sales in the first place, after all. They just want people using and buying their software.

Also, that's not actually a "conflict of interest" within a meaningful use of the word. It's just two products that compete to some degree. Almost every company does this. The biggest legitimate concern is anti-competition. Which is fair when dealing with microsoft and valve, but I think that they can avoid that being a problem with some care.

And frankly if this results in a reduction in "platform exclusivity" I won't cry. It's opposite concern that I'd be worried about - the siloing that already exists in consoles, and the sort of thing MS has been burned on in the past.

Back