Political extremes discussion: I'm sick of hearing how polarized we are

we're very polarized today. however....

several political leaders were shot in 1968.

we had a F'ing civil war.

some of our founders had a duel to the death.

so no....not the MOST polarized we've ever been.

I think most people have a shallow grasp of how polarized America has always been.

bh_birmingham_protests.jpg

Obviously up for debate, but we could/ should be at least five countries, imo.

55b273a2371d2211008b9793-640-436.jpg

Never saw that before. I'd be down with a south Ontario + NY, Michigan state thing. Not sure how we'd dealwith the Michigan militia gun cutlure tbh.

The intensity of cultural divisions is not at an all-time high, but it's more along political lines than it used to be. There used to be a lot of conservative Democrats who might intensely hate liberal Democrats and liberal Republicans who hated conservative Republicans, etc. Or you'd have people of the same party in different religions. Instead of being kind of cross-allied, where you might viciously and even violently oppose someone on one issue but then need their help on another one, people are sorting in broader groups.

Indeed, thankfully a lot of positive things emerged in the aftermath of that tragedy.

There have been so many "episodes" of unrest, protest, and polarization its just become a part of who we are as a nation. Dare I say, protest and polarization is part of what it means to be an American. It IS American.

Look at the Vietnam war. The protests were out of hand and the soldiers were disrespected when they returned from the war. People think we are at all time highs of polarization now?

giphy.gif

There was this thing called the Civil War...

I am not sure as I've really never thought or read about it, but it seems like the US CW really did not settle much, just shifted one set of problems with others; for example, the US black-white thing remains a huge issues to this day.

I wonder how the US CW ransk with other major armed conflicts when it come to 'settling' shit and moving forward.

When you think about it, both the French rebellions and counters and the Russian CW ended the issues, meaning the issues with those conflicts od not persist today.

Well, yea, that is the ultimate in polarization isn't it? 700,000 Americans died.

I used to talk to a right-wing, neo-con guy who always said that whenever someone has concerns about the US invasions of Afghanistan or Iraq have them look at the casualty count of the Civil War. And they'll realize they are being overly hysterical about things. :rolleyes:

I think we’re incredibly polarized.
Because you're brainwashed. You spend too much time on social media. It's so easy to convince isolated people that everyone is at war with each other. If only people like you tried forming conclusions on their own instead of relying on emotionally based "perception is reality" horseshit. The reality is that divisions are being emphasized likely because that is part of a greater strategy. People like you had their opponents spoon fed to them, and cannot see how you've been manipulated this whole time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back