Poirier's win against Holloway aged well

nope.gif
This other Frank (way dirtier) agrees!

It’s 2-0 Dustin. A trilogy is a hard sell at 2-0.

If Dustin were to beat Islam, though. A third fight for the belt would interest me. Otherwise, not really.

sure, if you just look at win/losses and not the context. it's an easier sell when you realize he lost to Poirer the 1st time in his UFC debut and only had 4 fights under his belt while Poirer was 12-1 and had been in the UFC for 2 years already. it gets to be much easier when you realize that Poirer admitted that Max nearly broke him in the 2nd fight. add to the fact that Gaethje slept him and Max just slept Gaethje in a legendary fight and the writing is on the wall that this could be another barn burner.

Poirier wins the trilogy. I think DP was on the way to beating Justin before that head kick as well

Poirier has better hands than Justin, i'd pick Poirier again in a close fight against Max.
Same, I think Dustins a tough matchup for Max because he gives different looks, is very technical, is a southpaw which I think forces Max to switch hit more, and still has power.

Max was pudgy in that fight. Now he added the muscle mass properly. Not saying it would make a difference for sure, though.
Dustin has them black belt hands.

He showed Holloway how different LW division is. Both gave each other hell but Poirier had more power behind his shots.

I believe Max learned a lot from that loss and came back more prepared than ever against Justin. Less volume and more precision.

I would love a rematch.

You are aware Poirier is 2-0 against Holloway right?

Last edited:
He showed Holloway how different LW division is. Both gave each other hell but Poirier had more power behind his shots.

I believe Max learned a lot from that loss and came back more prepared than ever against Justin. Less volume and more precision.

I would love a rematch.
Gtfo, has nothing to do with division, dehydrated lesser skilled Dustin beat holloway much faster and easier at FW.

some dudes just have your number and will beat you everytime. Even examples of much inferior opponents. Dennis Hallman defeated Matt Hughes twice in mere seconds and the rematch. Most hardcore fans today never heard of him, and the ones that do consider him average.

Holloway from what I recall didn't have time to prepare for the weight class (edit: 7 weeks from the fight announcement) and the fight was more competitive than some people remember.

Most media scored it 3-2 Poirier. 1 had it 3-2 Holloway although that's dubious. It was either 4-1 or 3-2 Poirier, but it wasn't a domination.

Holloway from what I recall didn't have time to prepare for the weight class (edit: 7 weeks from the fight announcement) and the fight was more competitive than some people remember.

Most media scored it 3-2 Poirier. 1 had it 3-2 Holloway although that's dubious. It was either 4-1 or 3-2 Poirier, but it wasn't a domination.

This. It amazes me how terribly people mis-remember this fight. Max dropped DP early in rd 1 before getting hurt multiple times himself.

Then the 1st 3.5 mins of round 2 is some of Max's best work ever, before getting hurt again at the end. He Easily won 3, with 4 & 5 being basically dead even. Fantastic speed-chess the entire time.

Reminds me of Zombie/Yair where most people believe Zombie was dominating the fight before he got KO'd. Sometimes a narrative gets established & people run with it instead testing it with the evidence.

Back