Don't listen to the haters! Max Holloway + Justin Gaethje = Banger (true UFC 300 main event)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Don't listen to the haters! Max Holloway + Justin Gaethje = Banger (true UFC 300 main event).

Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that there are 'doggers on here who think Max vs. Justin is a dumb, pointless fight. Khabib even recently came out and talked smack about the matchup. Personally, what Khabib said doesn't bother me because I know he has Mach's best interests at heart. But regarding MMA fans who think this matchup is stupid, you are wrong. Justin Gaethje + Max Holloway = Banger. And this the true UFC 300 main event.

I'm a big fan of Max. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Justin is OK but he has a very violent fighting style that appeals to the masses. Max 'n' Justin aren't afraid to take a punch in order to give a punch. Both fighters are violent and guaranteed to put on a clinic, especially against each other. This is in stark contrast to Ngannou vs Lewis.

The prevailing view on the 'dog is that Justin has much more to gain from this matchup than Max. I disagree wholeheartedly. Here's why.

If Justin wins, he has another win on his record and he is still the no. 1 contender, not the 0th contender. He'll make a bit more money and add to his legacy, but he'll be in the exact same spot as before.

If Max wins, it's a whole new ball game. First of all, Max has a had a legendary career. There are talks of him moving up to LW because he's a huge FW, and it may be time for that soon. Max is one of my favorite fighters and it it still hurts me to this day that he never beat Volk. (It is what it is.)

Now, if Max beats Justin, it's a whole different story. If Max wins, he would have achieved something that Volk never could: beat an elite LW. And not just any elite LW, but the no. 1 guy. This will enhance Max's legacy. Furthermore, if Max wins, he'll have an opporunity to fight for either belt: FW and LW. He'll get a chance to face Mach and possibly even win. This would propel him to champ-champ status + further enhance his legacy + get the toy belt + set up an interesting rematch.

I'm excited for this fight. There's a reason why I call it the true UFC 300 main event. This fight will define UFC 300.

tenor.gif

I never understood the problem with this fight. Not every big match has to be for relevancy. Not having a title or ranking on the line allowed for freedom of fights you otherwise wouldn't get. Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz would never have fought of Silva never lost the title. That fight could've been better, but the idea of it is something we can use more of. Enjoy fights like this for what they are and don't feel the need to make a storyline out of everything. Now if only there wasn't the BMF belt trying to make it about something.

The prevailing view on the 'dog is that Justin has much more to gain from this matchup than Max. I disagree wholeheartedly. Here's why.
Absolutely no one thinks Justin has more to gain. Literally no one. If he beats Max he was supposed to and its something Dustin did quite easily. Justin has everything to lose and nothing to gain. Its just a fun fight for him. Max has everything to gain and his worst case scenario is he gets brutally KO'd. Even if he loses a brutal war he gets credit for going toe to toe with another warrior who is a weight class above and supposed to beat him.

As a Holloway fan (i like Gaethje as well), i think a lot of people are worried about what this fight might due to Max. I see this fight being a war, and i'm afraid Max is going to take career altering damage in this fight ala Gaethje vs. Ferguson. Even if he wins the fight, he still is likely to take a lot of damage from one of the hardest hitters P4P.

It should be a fun fight though.

It's a great fight. Only reason it's not enough to lead UFC 300 is that both are not Champs. But it's the best fight on the card. However there's a real threat it ruins Max Holloways career. It's at LW and vs Justin Gaethje.

Clicked on thread title expecting a 2023 account... turned out to be 2022 account

Close enough

Love Max, Love Justin - but this is a gimmick fight.

It also really doesn't make much sense... since Max last moved up and got spanked by Poirier... and Gaethje is just coming off a spectacular win against Poirier...

So Gaethje's reward is to fight someone from the division below that Poirer outclassed?

Makes no sense. Really hope Max doesn't get hurt here.

I’m worried it’ll be a worse beating than Max vs Poirier 2.

It's going to be a fun fight to watch and entertaining. That doesn't mean the winner has anything for Islam no matter who wins, which makes it pointless. If the winner got Islam next, they will not have good odds against him.

Also Gaethje should be #1 contender already and I wouldn't say people want Islam to fight another FW for a defense if Max wins. Also with Volk gone, Max finally has a new champ at FW to fight and if he's coming off a beating it's going to be hard to sell.

As a Holloway fan (i like Gaethje as well), i think a lot of people are worried about what this fight might due to Max. I see this fight being a war, and i'm afraid Max is going to take career altering damage in this fight ala Gaethje vs. Ferguson. Even if he wins the fight, he still is likely to take a lot of damage from one of the hardest hitters P4P.

It should be a fun fight though.

I spoke about this before.

I'm fearful that Max ''n' Justin's careers will end like Tony's.

People prefer not to talk about it but Max 'n' Justin always take huge amounts of damage each time they fight.

I've never said dumb and pointless. It's definitely going to be violent, just as a Max fan, the match up is a little worrisome.

I'd rather he fight Ilia.

i just don't wanna see max flatlined as a fan but this will be a good test.

Knock it off with this “real ME”, the “people’s ME” nonsense.

It’s ridiculous. And a purely casual take.

How in any way, shape, or form is Dustin/Max a bigger fight than the current UFC LHW champion fighting an ex-champ that never lost his belt in the octagon?

1709851409589.gif

This is now the fifth straight thread you've made about Holloway/Gaethje. We're probably going to have to merge all of them after the next one. Sheesh.

Looks like Max has bulked up for this fight, so he may not look underpowered like he did against Dustin. Rooting for Max here, expecting a sick striking battle.

Clicked on thread title expecting a 2023 account... turned out to be 2022 account

Close enough

Love Max, Love Justin - but this is a gimmick fight.

It also really doesn't make much sense... since Max last moved up and got spanked by Poirier... and Gaethje is just coming off a spectacular win against Poirier...

So Gaethje's reward is to fight someone from the division below that Poirer outclassed?

Makes no sense. Really hope Max doesn't get hurt here.
I would be OK with this if Max had declared he was Moving to LW permanently and had taken some time (Not Jon Jones 3 + years) to add some muscle mass and be a LW not a FW who didn't cut weight. I worry Max's toughness will result in a beating along the lines of Tony. Kind of hate to say this as a fan of Max but in some ways I hope he gets an early one shot KO and suffers less damage.

Back