I have a lot of questions about the upcoming Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje fight..... (headstrong matchup)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
I have a lot of questions about the upcoming Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje fight..... (headstrong matchup)

Like many 'doggers on here, I'm excited for the upcoming Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje fight. This, in my opinion, is the true main event of UFC 300. LHW is kinda a joke right now and so is the HW division. Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters that never fail to put on a show and I guarantee that their fight will outshine the Jamal x Potent bout. However, this fight isn't perfect and I have a lot of questions about what's going to happens next....

First things first, I'm a huge Max Holloway fan. Always have been. Always will be. Justin is OK but I respect him for being a headstrong fighter just like Max. In fact Max 'n' Justin are the first two fighters that pop into my head when I think of headstrong fighters. The whole BMF thing is corny but Max 'n' Justin are the most appropriate fighters for the belt. There aren't many headstrong fighters knocking about these days..

I've seen people on the 'dog say that this is a pointless matchup and that it's stalling the LW division. That's true to an extent. However, this matchup will have big implications for both the FW division and the LW division... and I have a lot of questions about what happens after the fight.

This hasn't happened before... two no. 1 contenders from different weight classes fighting each other. It's a very unique situation. That's what I mean when I say Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters. Colby wrote the rule book on sitting out until you get a titleshot but Max 'n' Justin are fighting instead of waiting their turn. Maximum respect for both fighters.

However, because they're choosing to fight instead of just rank squat like Colby, this will lead to some potentially crazy outcomes. And I have questions....

First of all, if Justin wins, who's getting a shot at the LW belt next?? Is it Justin, Dustin, or the winner of Arman x Oliveira??? Justin is already the no. 1 contender, so if he wins this fight does it mean he will be the no. 0 contender? What happens if Justin loses? Is it Dustin or Arman x Oliveira up next?

Secondly, will Max stay at lightweight? I don't know if you guys have seen him but Max been looking extra thick lately. Max is already a huge FW so if he's taking this bulk seriously then I don't see him staying at FW. I would love to see Max fight at LW and achieve what Volkanovski could never accomplish.

Finally, will the ghost of Tony Ferguson come to haunt Max 'n' Justin? I've written before about how Max, Justin and Tony are all 3 sides of the same coin. Max 'n' Justin both take a lot of damage but they also give a lot of damage. This could potentially cause one of them to have their own Tony Ferguson type awakening where they begin a long and brutal losing streak. Tony was never the same after the Justin fight. It would break my heart to see Max go out the same way Tony did...

06942ebb2f80eed768f5aade2d8ad110d61dd5e1_2_500x500.jpeg

if he wins justin gaethje should just skip islams bullshit and call out leon for a title shot. i think gaethje knocks out leon over 5 rounds

Like many 'doggers on here, I'm excited for the upcoming Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje fight. This, in my opinion, is the true main event of UFC 300. LHW is kinda a joke right now and so is the HW division. Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters that never fail to put on a show and I guarantee that their fight will outshine the Jamal x Potent bout. However, this fight isn't perfect and I have a lot of questions about what's going to happens next....

First things first, I'm a huge Max Holloway fan. Always have been. Always will be. Justin is OK but I respect him for being a headstrong fighter just like Max. In fact Max 'n' Justin are the first two fighters that pop into my head when I think of headstrong fighters. The whole BMF thing is corny but Max 'n' Justin are the most appropriate fighters for the belt. There aren't many headstrong fighters knocking about these days..

I've seen people on the 'dog say that this is a pointless matchup and that it's stalling the LW division. That's true to an extent. However, this matchup will have big implications for both the FW division and the LW division... and I have a lot of questions about what happens after the fight.

This hasn't happened before... two no. 1 contenders from different weight classes fighting each other. It's a very unique situation. That's what I mean when I say Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters. Colby wrote the rule book on sitting out until you get a titleshot but Max 'n' Justin are fighting instead of waiting their turn. Maximum respect for both fighters.

However, because they're choosing to fight instead of just rank squat like Colby, this will lead to some potentially crazy outcomes. And I have questions....

First of all, if Justin wins, who's getting a shot at the LW belt next?? Is it Justin, Dustin, or the winner of Arman x Oliveira??? Justin is already the no. 1 contender, so if he wins this fight does it mean he will be the no. 0 contender? What happens if Justin loses? Is it Dustin or Arman x Oliveira up next?

Secondly, will Max stay at lightweight? I don't know if you guys have seen him but Max been looking extra thick lately. Max is already a huge FW so if he's taking this bulk seriously then I don't see him staying at FW. I would love to see Max fight at LW and achieve what Volkanovski could never accomplish.

Finally, will the ghost of Tony Ferguson come to haunt Max 'n' Justin? I've written before about how Max, Justin and Tony are all 3 sides of the same coin. Max 'n' Justin both take a lot of damage but they also give a lot of damage. This could potentially cause one of them to have their own Tony Ferguson type awakening where they begin a long and brutal losing streak. Tony was never the same after the Justin fight. It would break my heart to see Max go out the same way Tony did...

06942ebb2f80eed768f5aade2d8ad110d61dd5e1_2_500x500.jpeg

Now this fight is a reality I’m in training for watching the fight and I have to believe Max can do it. He’s the fucking GOAT OF GOATS!! Or maybe not, but yeah war max muthafuckers!!

Dustin escaped with fairly little damage, and rarely blows up between fights. He'd be ready to go as soon as Islam is, no way he would turn down that opportunity. And giving him the title fight over Gaethje, Olivieria or Tsarukyan isn't a robbery either.

I don't expect Max to make it easy for Gaethje, and I expect both will take some attrition in that fight. It's what bangers do. And those two are going to bang. I do NOT see that reaching the final bell.

Oliviera and Tsarukyan I am actually indifferent on. Neither actually excite me as the next title shot.

Dustin escaped with fairly little damage, and rarely blows up between fights. He'd be ready to go as soon as Islam is, no way he would turn down that opportunity. And giving him the title fight over Gaethje, Olivieria or Tsarukyan isn't a robbery either.

I don't expect Max to make it easy for Gaethje, and I expect both will take some attrition in that fight. It's what bangers do. And those two are going to bang. I do NOT see that reaching the final bell.

Oliviera and Tsarukyan I am actually indifferent on. Neither actually excite me as the next title shot.

Not a robbery? Two of those guys you mentioned beat Dustin, with JG doing it very recently headkicking him into a suicidal mindset. He should not be getting a TS over them just because he just beat a guy outside of the top 10.

Not a robbery? Two of those guys you mentioned beat Dustin, with JG doing it very recently headkicking him into a suicidal mindset. He should not be getting a TS over them just because he just beat a guy outside of the top 10.
And if both Max and Justin face 6 month suspensions as a result of damage taken, or Oliveira or Tsarukyan put on mediocre performances, we just make Islam sit around longer before he defends, just to be fair? Sorry, but I stand by what I said. Since when did the UFC start handing out deserved title shots again?

It's the flavour of the month club now, and Dustin just got an exciting win and will be ready to go first. It is what it is.

And if both Max and Justin face 6 month suspensions as a result of damage taken, or Oliveira or Tsarukyan put on mediocre performances, we just make Islam sit around longer before he defends, just to be fair? Sorry, but I stand by what I said. Since when did the UFC start handing out deserved title shots again?

It's the flavour of the month club now, and Dustin just got an exciting win and will be ready to go first. It is what it is.

That's you trying to predict the future. Very convenient how in your fantasy everybody gets a 6 month suspension, like none of these fights could possible end with a winner unscathed like we see all the time. I also like the mediocre performances angle. Why not a natural disaster, a tornado that sweeps these guys out of the octagon never to be seen again? That would surely mean the UFC has no choice but to give Poirier the TS.

Would love the fight to end like Diaz vs Lawler in Max's favor, but odds are we going to see a war with both guys ready to bang. Let's go Max!

You don’t see gaethe and max going to the bell ? That means you’re picking max to knock gaethe out ?

No way max is getting knocked out …

Gaethe decision or max knockout are the 2 possible scenarios here

Didn't read. This is a public execution and nothing more, nothing less. An emphatic end to Max's career at the elite level. Maybe any level entirely

You don’t see gaethe and max going to the bell ? That means you’re picking max to knock gaethe out ?

All chins crack. Especially when a fighter that HAS ABSORBED THE MOST SIG STRIKES IN THE ENTIRE UFC goes up in weight again, against a knockout artist in their prime, when they already got battered endlessly standing in their first fight at LW.

Also Google says this fight is canceled for UFC 300. what gives?

I wouldn't rule anything out in the fight, except the chances the two of them standing for the final bell are slim. To be honest, I don't know who I favour to win. Max looked big in some recent pics which made me think he might not just be shark bait in this fight.

I just see the two of them going balls out like Lawler and Condit (I am aware of the irony that that fight did see the end, but meant how I see the fight going, not ending).

max posseses a rustic chin but he has also taken a lot damage over the years and its beens awhile since he has fought anyone as thicc as justin. i see him losing as a UD at best and i love the guy.

but then again, serra knocked out gsp so there really is not any limit to bewilderment that this sport can leave you with its results.

All chins crack. Especially when a fighter that HAS ABSORBED THE MOST SIG STRIKES IN THE ENTIRE UFC goes up in weight again, against a knockout artist in their prime, when they already got battered endlessly standing in their first fight at LW.

Also Google says this fight is canceled for UFC 300. what gives?

Don't you worry dear, the fight's still on!

This is like your 10th thread on this fight. You should really just post in your other threads at this point

Back