Gaethje vs (Max Holloway / Tony Ferguson)

IronGolem007

Po Atan
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's unbelievable that this comparison is being made.

I understand the similarities:

Both are tall and lanky.
Holloway had a 13-fight winning streak
Ferguson had a 12-fight winning streak

Style-wise, attributes-wise, achievement wise, and level-wise, they are worlds apart.

Max Holloway has faced and beaten Champions + the absolute best of his division for many years,
Only Volk has beaten Holloway, in the FW Division, for the past decade.

Tony Ferguson only faced perennial contenders and gatekeepers, losing too many of them. He has never beaten a Champion.
Tony Ferguson has lost to 7 gatekeepers and UFC washouts in the LW division in same past decade.

Attributes-wise, Max Holloway has an outstanding chin, he's never been dropped, and has outstanding fundamentals.
Meanwhile, Tony Ferguson never had a good chin, has been dropped many times. and never had good fundamentals.
Yet Gaethje couldn't even drop Ferguson.

Meanwhile Holloway has never been dropped, ever, so I'm not sure why so many people think Gaethje is going to be able to drop him, when he couldn't even drop Ferguson, when many others already had.

Conclusion:
While Max Holloway doesn't have is a lot of power, he more than makes up for that with speed, volume, pressure, consistent fundamentals, has terrific stamina, and balls.
He also has the ability to make people miss.

Meanwhile, Gaethje has a lot of holes in his game (he overextends, loads up, gets tired, etc.)

Gaethje has lost a lot fistfights, Max has hardly lost any.

IMO, only the weight class difference makes this a competitive in my opinion. Max would eat him up at the FW.

Last edited:
Tony is a more unorthodox and dynamic striker while Max has better boxing. Tony also fights more aggressive. This fight will look nothing like the tony fight

Max isn't in his prime currently. Tony's antics, fight mileage and injuries caused him to exit his expeditiously. This is a tough fight for 'Blessed'. A lot has to go right for him to win this. Gaethje is a tough task for any non grappling or wrestling heavy opponent. And yes, Max is more accomplished.

I love max but I think you are wrong... but I also am not comparing Max to Tony...

Max isn't in his prime currently. Tony's antics, fight mileage and injuries caused him to exit his expeditiously. This is a tough fight for 'Blessed'. A lot has to go right for him to win this. Gaethje is a tough task for any non grappling or wrestling heavy opponent. And yes, Max is more accomplished.

Agree Max isn't is in his prime, but neither is Gaethje.

I think it will be a lot like the Poirier fight, where Gaethje clips Max early, but Max won't fall.

Unlike against Poirier (who finished Gaethje late also), Poirier was getting his ass eat up by Max in the later rounds. (Poirier himself said he wanted to quit against Max.)

Justin Gaethje is used to fighters fading in the last round, he's going to be on the receiving end against Max in the later rounds.

Of course Gaethje has a puncher's chance, but against the guy who's never been dropped, not much of one IMO.

Time will tell.

Tony is a more unorthodox and dynamic striker while Max has better boxing. Tony also fights more aggressive. This fight will look nothing like the tony fight

No one is a more dynamic striker than Holloway.

Check the punch stats.

Feels like T-Ferg is being discredited but the truth is his jab was a laser and he had power, cardio and was freakishly durable. Gaethje dismantled all of that with basic but elite counter striking timing the pressure with overhand rights, left hooks and chopping leg kicks.

These are all weapons that Max can be hurt by and even in the KZ fight his defence wasn’t looking too sharp. Max might be more durable than T-Ferg but he also lacks the power that T-ferg does so eating 1 to give 1 won’t be smart.

Can Max win? It’s very possible his kicking and clinch game is also elite along with his ability to hunt the body but Gaethje is no slouch and even if Max is firing on all cylinders this will be a tough fight to win. Eddie and Poirier are big and gritty boxers and they had to fight through hell to attack Gaethje’s body and that was even before Gaethje wasn’t anything more than a tough brawler with heavy punches. Dudes an elite striker in his own right.

Tony cut weight twice and it was short notice, he trained for a wrestler. I think Tony was past his prime even then.
I don't know why people say this nonsense. Justin cut weight twice too and had it on even shorter notice.

Tony's fundamentals just always sucked and he had glaring holes throughout his streak that people kept ignoring. He was pulling wins out of his ass, often with cheating or complete luck involved, not on some dominant unstoppable run.

It's unbelievable that this comparison is being made.

I understand the similarities:

Both are tall and lanky.
Holloway had a 13-fight winning streak
Ferguson had a 12-fight winning streak

Style-wise, attributes-wise, achievement wise, and level-wise, they are worlds apart.

Max Holloway has faced and beaten Champions + the absolute best of his division for many years,
Only Volk has beaten Holloway, in the FW Division, for the past decade.

Tony Ferguson only faced perennial contenders and gatekeepers, losing too many of them. He has never beaten a Champion.
Tony Ferguson has lost to 7 gatekeepers and UFC washouts in the LW division in same past decade.

Attributes-wise, Max Holloway has an outstanding chin, he's never been dropped, and has outstanding fundamentals.
Meanwhile, Tony Ferguson never had a good chin, has been dropped many times. and never had good fundamentals.
Yet Gaethje couldn't even drop Ferguson.

Meanwhile Holloway has never been dropped, ever, so I'm not sure why so many people think Gaethje is going to be able to drop him, when he couldn't even drop Ferguson, when many others already had.

Conclusion:
While Max Holloway doesn't have is a lot of power, he more than makes up for that with speed, volume, pressure, consistent fundamentals, has terrific stamina, and balls.
He also has the ability to make people miss.

Meanwhile, Gaethje has a lot of holes in his game (he overextends, loads up, gets tired, etc.)

Gaethje has lost a lot fistfights, Max has hardly lost any.

IMO, only the weight class difference makes this a competitive in my opinion. Max would eat him up at the FW.
Tony never beat a champion? What are you even talking about. Former champion RDA in 2016? Pettis in 2018?

Last edited:
Yeah that's a retarded comparison, Tony Ferguson can't spell boxing and I always liked Max Holloway to finish him in a head to head.thay said, Gaethje is still a dangerous match up for Max. @IronGolem007 you're only pointing out the worst in Gaethje and putting it up against the best in Max.

Why don't we highlight the fact that Gaethje is a great counter puncher, and Max gets hit a lot? Or that unlike many "MMA boxers" Gaethje works behind a jab to open up the rest of his offense. He doesn't just throw it out there to up the strike stats. Max is a way better boxer than Justin, I agree, but Gaethje is good enough to where the frame difference is a serious factor.

Last edited:
Tony has beaten Josh Thomson, RDA and Anthony Pettis. All 3 have been world champions. Seriously do some research next time.

I don't know why people say this nonsense. Justin cut weight twice too and had it on even shorter notice.

Tony's fundamentals just always sucked and he had glaring holes throughout his streak that people kept ignoring. He was pulling wins out of his ass, often with cheating or complete luck involved, not on some dominant unstoppable run.
lol Justin did not cut weight twice. Tony never pulled any win out his ass, how do you get lucky 12 times in a row? Tony became washed once he turned 35 and injured his knee. 12 straight wins is pretty dominant no matter how you look at it.

lol Justin did not cut weight twice
Khabib pulled out April 1, Justin signed April 6, and they were supposed to fight April 18th before the event was cancelled April 9th.

Exactly what do you think Justin was doing from April 6-9, possibly even since the 1st, to get ready for a weigh in on only 11 days notice?

Tony never pulled any win out his ass
I have no idea how you could possibly describe getting dropped 5x by Lando and winning only because Lando took the fight on short notice and had no gas tank anything other than pulling a win out of your ass.
how do you get lucky 12 times in a row?
So luck had nothing to do with shit like:

- the Castillo decision
- illegally upkicking Barboza
- Lando as mentioned
- fighting RDA in Mexico City and eyepoking the shit out of him in the only early round RDA lost
- Lee having a massive staph infection
- refusing to rematch Johnson who'd beaten him
- all the times the Khabib fight fell through
- Pettis breaking his own hand dropping Tony and trying to finish him
- Pettis' corner throwing in the towel over said broken hand
- Blatantly hitting and hurting Cerrone after the bell on his broken nose, leading to him being confused enough to blow it and blow up his own face
- Being award a TKO win for that instead of a DQ seeing as it was an illegal blow that did this, not the earlier legal blow that broke the nose

His run was lucky as fuck and it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise. That's what made it exciting. It was teetering on a knife's edge, not Tony was tearing through people.

His nickname is literally El Cucuy because he just keeps coming, not because he's better technically or skillfully than others.
12 straight wins is pretty dominant no matter how you look at it.
Consecutive wins and dominance have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

2 totally different fighters. Too bad their fight never came to fruition. Anyway can't wait for UFC300. It won't be easy for Max and Justin is very explosive with a lot of movement and a good counter-puncher. Regardless Max is a beast and going to be rooting for him come fight night. WAR Holloway!

Khabib pulled out April 1, Justin signed April 6, and they were supposed to fight April 18th before the event was cancelled April 9th.

Exactly what do you think Justin was doing from April 6-9, possibly even since the 1st, to get ready for a weigh in on only 11 days notice?

I have no idea how you could possibly describe getting dropped 5x by Lando and winning only because Lando took the fight on short notice and had no gas tank anything other than pulling a win out of your ass.

So luck had nothing to do with shit like:

- the Castillo decision
- illegally upkicking Barboza
- Lando as mentioned
- fighting RDA in Mexico City and eyepoking the shit out of him in the only early round RDA lost
- Lee having a massive staph infection
- refusing to rematch Johnson who'd beaten him
- all the times the Khabib fight fell through
- Pettis breaking his own hand dropping Tony and trying to finish him
- Pettis' corner throwing in the towel over said broken hand
- Blatantly hitting and hurting Cerrone after the bell on his broken nose, leading to him being confused enough to blow it and blow up his own face
- Being award a TKO win for that instead of a DQ seeing as it was an illegal blow that did this, not the earlier legal blow that broke the nose

His run was lucky as fuck and it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise. That's what made it exciting. It was teetering on a knife's edge, not Tony was tearing through people.

His nickname is literally El Cucuy because he just keeps coming, not because he's better technically or skillfully than others.

Consecutive wins and dominance have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Tony was the one who was scheduled to fight Khabib not Justin. Tony had already cut weight then did it a week later. All those excuses you made lol, not once did he cheat. Look at the face of every opponent mentioned after the fight.

Wahhh he lost a few rounds during his 12 fight win streak that means he sucks. You don’t get lucky 12 times in a row

Back