Planet Fitness -- no more deads, racks

Anyone who lives in the Austin area needs to check out Hyde Park Gym if you havn't already. It's an old school powerlifting/bodybuilding/olympic lifting gym. Dumbells all the way up to 150lbs, atlas stone tucked away in the corner, plenty of benches, any kind of equipment you could ask for, trap bars, 6-7 squat/deadlift racks all with platforms and bumper plates, no flashy colours, no sales staff, smart trainers, no pretty boys or douchebags, all around the best gym you will ever go to. And olympic lifting classes are free for all members.

I actually thought your post was the best part of the whole thread. It was more interesting than another person jumping in to say "yeah, planet fitness sucks!" Very cool looking gym. What City is that in?

It's in San Marcos.

Where are you at in San Diego? I lifted over at San Diego Barbell for a while in East County. They've got all the Westside Barbell equipment there and all the lifters there follow the Westside template, it's pretty cool.

$10 a month. You get what you pay for

Bullshit I say!

The cheapest thing in those gyms are the free weights. The hammer strength machines and the elipticals with the tvs in them are where all the cash goes.

In 5 years everyone will get back on the "WE NEED RACKS AND SHIT!" mostly due to hot crossfit girls.

Or, rather, everything is cyclical.

You're actually not allowed to perform deadlifts? Like, if you put a barbell on the ground and lift it up, someone who works there will approach you and tell you to stop?

You're actually not allowed to perform deadlifts? Like, if you put a barbell on the ground and lift it up, someone who works there will approach you and tell you to stop?

No, no. That's fine.

You only get in trouble if you call them "deadlifts".

I assume so.

But only until they get the electronic "deadlift detector" installed. When it goes off, computer-guided lasers will simply burn the manliness lobe out of your brain and you're good to go.

I call them "Wellness Lifestyle Toners" that is safe

or just wear an alternative lifestyle message t-shirt and if you get approached about any type of lifting, just start screaming "hate crime biggot" and resume deadlifting

This holiday I traveled and almost went to a planet fitness. Me and my cousin walked in and someone greeted us, a very cute girl, we asked how much a day of lifting would be. 5 dollars. But before we paid we noticed there wasn't a squat rack, so we asked if she knew of another gym in the area that had a squat rack, and she said yes and gave us directions.

The gym she gave us was a hardcore little gym that had posters of Arnold in the 70's, bodubuilding magazines, a squat rack, a dip and pull up station with a dip a belt. (It had more, but all of this stood out, I've been to more gyms without a squat and dip station than with) I was pleasently surprised. Any gym that has a dip belt and squat rack is fine by me.

I didn't realize deadlifts, squats, and any over head lifts with some weight aren't allowed in planet fitness. It's almost something you'd see in the Twilight Zone. Wtf do you do there? lol

or just wear an alternative lifestyle message t-shirt and if you get approached about any type of lifting, just start screaming "hate crime biggot" and resume deadlifting

This is a fantastic idea and I really think it could work.

Last edited:
Back