Planet Fitness -- no more deads, racks

F

flak

So there's a Planet Fitness opening up in my town. It's pretty close to my house and they have a $10-a-month deal, which fits my budget.

Yeah, yeah, I know about the lunk alarm. I make very little noise when I lift, and I want people to ignore me. So I figured I could probably stay under the radar.

Plus, it's time for me to re-up with the university gyms I've been using and I figured there's never gonna be a better time to check out Planet Fitness.

So I just called to ask about some real basic stuff.

I won't bore you with all the details, but here are the highlights --

This place will not have any squat racks or power racks, because "corporate" is eliminating them in the name of reducing liability. Something to keep in mind for anyone who's already using a PF.

Similarly, they do not allow deadlifts, for reasons of safety. This is supposedly a new policy as well.

They may or may not allow overhead lifts -- what the guy said was something like "as long as you don't load it up with two plates or something it'll be okay."

I was polite and kept telling him "I'm cool with the 'judgment free zone' idea, and I don't make much noise and I'm nice and I don't want to bother anybody."

Didn't help. Their thinking seems to be "anyone who wants to lift heavy is a neanderthal who's gonna make a ton of noise, try to intimidate everyone, and will probably cause accidents." Maybe the dude doesn't believe that, but his comments indicated that this is the line of reasoning they give.

The most annoying thing was, he kept telling that I'd be just fine with their array of machines.

I told him (several times) "this isn't gonna be a good option for me." We parted amicably, and I managed to avoid insulting him. But damned if I'm gonna sign up.

that's a disgrace of a gym. you might aswell sign up at Curves.

Were you actually expecting something else?

I read the title, saw the poster, and was afraid that I'd have to haul Flak out 'round back and put him out of his misery, Old Yeller style.

WTF were you thinking, Flak? Dirt cheap or not, there's no national chain of strip-mall "fitness centers" that are going to have what you need, and the machine-and-bench-only crap might be contagious. You're lucky to have gotten out of there without an automatically renewing contract and a spray tan.

I will never complain about the gym I go to during the holidays again*.

*may complain about the gym used during the holidays again.

Were you actually expecting something else?

Yes.

Based on what I've read here from other guys who work out at Planet Fitness, I expected they'd allow deads and there'd be a 50/50 chance they'd have a squat rack.

Also, as a matter of common sense I figured the guy I was talking to -- who claimed to have extensive strength training experience -- would avoid wasting my time and his by trying repeatedly to get me to come on in and have a look at the place after I said "this is not a good option for me, I need to do deads and free-bar squats."

I read the title, saw the poster, and was afraid that I'd have to haul Flak out 'round back and put him out of his misery, Old Yeller style.

WTF were you thinking, Flak? Dirt cheap or not, there's no national chain of strip-mall "fitness centers" that are going to have what you need, and the machine-and-bench-only crap might be contagious. You're lucky to have gotten out of there without an automatically renewing contract and a spray tan.

I was thinking "I know this place has serious drawbacks, but if I can do most of the lifts I want to do (in a controlled, quiet, judgment-free, nonlunkulous manner, of course), then maybe I could make this work."

Almost every gym I've ever used has had at least one glaring flaw, and I got around it.

i go to pf. but i do bjj regularly so i only go there on teh occasion. its fine for what i do, which is mainly combat sport related anaerobics

and theyve never said anything about me deading

I will never complain about the gym I go to during the holidays again*.

*may complain about the gym used during the holidays again.

You son of a BITCH! STOP WHINING!

Arnold-Stop-Whining-sizdow.jpg

Dirt cheap or not, there's no national chain of strip-mall "fitness centers" that are going to have what you need, and the machine-and-bench-only crap might be contagious.

My local Fitness 19 (a total strip mall gym) has a squat rack, allows deads, and allows chalk. The squat rack isn't great (it has issues at high weights because of bar curvature and pin design), but it would be fine for almost all lifters. Monthly dues are $11 a month with no contract and no sign up fee (at the time).

My local Fitness 19 (a total strip mall gym) has a squat rack, allows deads, and allows chalk. The squat rack isn't great (it has issues at high weights because of bar curvature and pin design), but it would be fine for almost all lifters. Monthly dues are $11 a month with no contract and no sign up fee (at the time).

That's fucking awesome for $11 a month at a strip mall gym.

They put a Planet-Phallus in our local large mall about two months ago and I had not seen it yet, but was Christmas shopping with my daughter and we passed it and I barely glanced at it--ok, was looking for the lunk alarm--and my daughter--totally off the cuff says "that looks like a real douchbag hang-out"--now my daughter never uses bad words or even off color words, which made it ever funnier.

Don't you dare spend one red cent on Pussy Fitness TS. I am broke as shit but I can afford a $50 a month powerlifting/bodybuilding gym. If I can do it you can find a better place.

Damn my fitness 19 is $12 a month. RIP OFF!!

One can only hope and prey Planet Shitness goes out of business!

Damn my fitness 19 is $12 a month. RIP OFF!!

wat?
Mine is 19dollars. WTF RIP OFF X2! :D

Why not got to the local YMCA? I love my YMCA. But I live in a rich neighborhood, and they charge a good amount, and dont offer an only weightroom plan (you gotta get the pool plan too).
However, some of my college friends say that their Y's have free-lifting or really cheap plans.

Back