Planet Fitness -- no more deads, racks

You American guys need to buy one-day passes and host an S&P meetup/Powerlifting competition at one of these things. Everyone can keep pacing back and fourth grunting while you take turns lifting. One of you needs to just yell "CHEST! CHEST" constantly and ignore all pleads to stop.

Why not got to the local YMCA? I love my YMCA. But I live in a rich neighborhood, and they charge a good amount, and dont offer an only weightroom plan (you gotta get the pool plan too).

Yeah, there's a YMCA with decent lifting equipment (one huge-ass open-frame power rack that'd probably survive anything short of a nuclear explosion, another decent power rack, lots of benches, etc.).

Problem is, it's way too far from my office to be a lunchtime workout option, and it's not open late enough to be an evening option.

I'll probably just re-up with one or both of the campus gyms I've been using.

You American guys need to buy one-day passes and host an S&P meetup/Powerlifting competition at one of these things. Everyone can keep pacing back and fourth grunting while you take turns lifting. One of you needs to just yell "CHEST! CHEST" constantly and ignore all pleads to stop.

I actually laughed out loud at the imagery that gave me...

Anyway, I pay nearly $100 a month for my gym for a three month membership (3 months because I'm hoping to move out of this dump soon) and it's one of the cheapest around - and it's pretty rubbish. No YMCAs or PCYCs left.

Oh well, hopefully next year I move somewhere where I have room for a power rack... or at least to swing a barbell.

my parents signed me up for a bodyworks thing that they pay for. This will be the third year they've had it and maybe have gone 15 times.

The one that I go to has a single squat rack that no one but me squats in. But without fail there always someone who left the bar on the the safety rails, makes me assume someone was doing curls in the squat rack. Worst thing about the rack though is that it always has the most bent bar they have.

But no one has ever told me I can't power clean, or lift stuff over my head or tell me I can't deadlift...though a lot of the patrons have given me funny looks when doing these exercises.

The gym I go to is a powerlifting/bodybuilding gym that's been open 37 years. All the weights, racks and machines are all old as hell. No one's really ever there these days, but apparently a long time ago it was an "invite-only" gym and had a ton of competitive lifters. I guess Bill Kazmaier trained there for a period of time and the owner was his main training partner, there are pictures of both of them on the wall in powerlifting meets. Also, there are pictures painted on all the walls of people squatting, deadlifting and even some bodybuilders posing. They even have Arnold flexing painted on one wall, haha.

It's pretty awesome, there are a bunch of pictures of it at this link.

Old school gym - IronOnline Weight Training Forum

Oh, and the best part is that once you pay, they give you a combination to the lock on the door and you can go in anytime 24/7. No one works in the gym, so I go there at any time and punch in the code, open it up and I usually have the gym to myself. Also, I think I have everyone here beat on price. It's $100 up front for an entire year. That comes out to $8.33 a month, ridiculously cheap. Place is awesome, it's a two story gym.

Old ghetto sign on the front.
1168237659-freesgym.jpg

Arnold posing on the right.
1168237749-frees012.jpg

Squat rack/deadlift platform, picture of the owner deadlifting painted on the right wall.
1168238234-frees021.jpg

Another picture of the owner squatting behind the power rack.
1168237685-frees009.jpg

Pretty cool place, huh? Better than Planet Fitness, anyway.

^^^^^
I could brag about my gym too, but I don't think that's the point of this thread.

One possibility (although it may not be an option for Flak now, but perhaps in the future or for others) is to put together a powerlifting club/association/whatever. The gym I enjoy was made possible because a powerlifting club at my university was formed, and had/has dedicated members. Gradually it gained equipment, space to train, a grant for even more equipment.

Like 3 other people talked about their gym, but you only give me shit for it?

I actually laughed out loud at the imagery that gave me...

Anyway, I pay nearly $100 a month for my gym for a three month membership (3 months because I'm hoping to move out of this dump soon) and it's one of the cheapest around - and it's pretty rubbish. No YMCAs or PCYCs left.

Oh well, hopefully next year I move somewhere where I have room for a power rack... or at least to swing a barbell.

I go to a PCYC up here in Brisbane. Can't complain about it at all, got a squat rack, barbells, dip bar and pull up bar and plenty of weights. All the barbell curlers have moved off to 24/7 fitness clubs so whenever I go there it's basically empty.

Like 3 other people talked about their gym, but you only give me shit for it?

Did they post photos and talk about how awesome their gym is? I understand where you're coming from, it's great when you find a quality gym to train at, you want to share pictures, stories, take pride in having a key, etc. But when the thread is about the difficulty in finding a good gym and the mediocre gym's that many people have to deal with it just seems to be in bad taste to share the excellent gym you go to.

I thought it was more of a talking about how much Planet Fitness sucks thread, and people were saying "you get what you pay for." I was just showing that there are still good gyms out there that are cheap if you look around long enough, it took me a long time to find that gym.

Sorry if I came off as a dick, OP.

I saw a nice planet fitness not long ago. They had a dumbbell set all the way up to fifteens.

I'm still working on being able to have a 315 lbs clean and jerk. One of my motivations is visiting planet fitness and dropping the weight.

I thought it was more of a talking about how much Planet Fitness sucks thread, and people were saying "you get what you pay for." I was just showing that there are still good gyms out there that are cheap if you look around long enough, it took me a long time to find that gym.

Sorry if I came off as a dick, OP.

I actually thought your post was the best part of the whole thread. It was more interesting than another person jumping in to say "yeah, planet fitness sucks!" Very cool looking gym. What City is that in?

That is a GREAT idea! :icon_chee

^^^^^
I could brag about my gym too, but I don't think that's the point of this thread.

One possibility (although it may not be an option for Flak now, but perhaps in the future or for others) is to put together a powerlifting club/association/whatever. The gym I enjoy was made possible because a powerlifting club at my university was formed, and had/has dedicated members. Gradually it gained equipment, space to train, a grant for even more equipment.

a powerlifting club sounds sweet. Lots of motivation

The gym I go to is a powerlifting/bodybuilding gym that's been open 37 years. All the weights, racks and machines are all old as hell. No one's really ever there these days, but apparently a long time ago it was an "invite-only" gym and had a ton of competitive lifters. I guess Bill Kazmaier trained there for a period of time and the owner was his main training partner, there are pictures of both of them on the wall in powerlifting meets. Also, there are pictures painted on all the walls of people squatting, deadlifting and even some bodybuilders posing. They even have Arnold flexing painted on one wall, haha.

It's pretty awesome, there are a bunch of pictures of it at this link.

Old school gym - IronOnline Weight Training Forum

Oh, and the best part is that once you pay, they give you a combination to the lock on the door and you can go in anytime 24/7. No one works in the gym, so I go there at any time and punch in the code, open it up and I usually have the gym to myself. Also, I think I have everyone here beat on price. It's $100 up front for an entire year. That comes out to $8.33 a month, ridiculously cheap. Place is awesome, it's a two story gym.

Old ghetto sign on the front.
1168237659-freesgym.jpg

Arnold posing on the right.
1168237749-frees012.jpg

Squat rack/deadlift platform, picture of the owner deadlifting painted on the right wall.
1168238234-frees021.jpg

Another picture of the owner squatting behind the power rack.
1168237685-frees009.jpg

Pretty cool place, huh? Better than Planet Fitness, anyway.

Now that is a man's gym!:icon_chee

Bonus points for the life-size pic of Conan the Republican!

Back