• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PFL Taking Over

Lol, you're on an MMA forum, and nobody here could name any of the PFL champs, more than 5 guys on the roster, or even knows where to watch PFL. Somehow I don't think signing a guy who's 37 years old and wasn't even a draw when he had the UFC behind him to fight someone nobody's ever heard of at some point next year is going to suddenly springboard the minor league promotion into a powerhouse.

This is always the go to response when you are stumped and have no reply. hahaha

PFL used to be The (WSOF) The World Series of Fighting were guys like Gaethje, Fitch, Moraes all used to be champions. Then it was bought out and rebranded to PFL so yeah they have been around for a long ass time. Do i think PFL is currently burning money? yes i do because i posted an image stating so and a funny old meme of Dana holding a RIP Affliction tombstone but there really is no comparison between the two. One had two events the other has had over one hundred.

Who exactly is flocking to the PFL besides Ngannou? A completely shot Anthony Pettis?

Shane Burgos, Olivier Maucier, Rory Mac Donald, Jake Paul, Nate Diaz(potentially), marlon moraes, Jake shields, fabricio werdum, Marcin held, Antonio Carlos junior, I’m sure there are countless more.

Randy couture, Paige vanzant, Megan Anderson, and other huge stars are working for PFL.

Plus they produced their own talent as well. Homegrown fighters. Brendan Loughange, Ray cooper, Kayla harrison, lance palmer etc

The big thing is the up and coming fighters are highly considering pfl over ufc. And pfl is getting a lot of the young talent.

Ariel Helwani said PFL is not buying Bellator. He said they took themselves out of the negotiations. According to Ariel he said the two front runners are “ surprising buyers”

I’m thinking someone from the Middle East or Russia buys Bellator.

I think PFL will have to be careful to remain to there style of MMA if they wish to compete...

There merit based system is refreshing and closer to real Martial Art Competition then Dana's Popularity circus shit show that the UFC has become...

So the scale up by PFL as they attract much higher talent needs to be handled correctly...they need to increase the regular the season sizing and frequency while also leaving room for potential tournaments or 1 nighter events...

It will be tricky ..but can be done and it can absolutely rival the UFC for the simple fact they treat the talent better...much like the WWF(PFL) did vs WCW ( UFC) back during the monday night wars

You already have to fight four times in a year to win the tournament. I'm not sure how much more often people can realistically fight.

Lol. Yeah, Netflix put Blockbuster out of business, therefore, PFL is putting the UFC out of business. Why? Because.

They signed Jake Paul and Francis to something called a super fight division. The only thing pfl is gearing up for a freakshow crossover exhibition fights

Shane Burgos, Olivier Maucier, Rory Mac Donald, Jake Paul, Nate Diaz(potentially), marlon moraes, Jake shields, fabricio werdum, Marcin held, Antonio Carlos junior, I’m sure there are countless more.

Randy couture, Paige vanzant, Megan Anderson, and other huge stars are working for PFL.

Plus they produced their own talent as well. Homegrown fighters. Brendan Loughange, Ray cooper, Kayla harrison, lance palmer etc

The big thing is the up and coming fighters are highly considering pfl over ufc. And pfl is getting a lot of the young talent.

I wouldn't say a lot of the young talent yet. I follow prospects pretty closely and of the top ten in their division (prospect wise) ones they got Dakota Ditcheva, Josh Silveira and Doumbe. They also got Manumito on their contender series but now he's apparently trying to get out of that so he can go on DWCS.

They do get some other decent ones like Alves Braga, McGrillen and Taleb, but if you compare the numbers they sign with the well regarded regiona/worldwide prospects the UFC sign it's not even a contest at this stage.

I think PFL will have to be careful to remain to there style of MMA if they wish to compete...

There merit based system is refreshing and closer to real Martial Art Competition then Dana's Popularity circus shit show that the UFC has become...

So the scale up by PFL as they attract much higher talent needs to be handled correctly...they need to increase the regular the season sizing and frequency while also leaving room for potential tournaments or 1 nighter events...

It will be tricky ..but can be done and it can absolutely rival the UFC for the simple fact they treat the talent better...much like the WWF(PFL) did vs WCW ( UFC) back during the monday night wars

Being more authentic in terms of sporting is only relevant if they can turn that into more viewers. Whatever approach gets the most views/buys is the correct one in a strictly business approach. The UFC profited more than 1/3rd of a billion dollars in 2022. I think they are doing fine.

They have an acronym and name that speaks to more professionalism and high-level talent than the low-brow "Ultimate Fighting".

Professional Fighters League sounds like the bigs. Whether they can garner enough financial support and popularity to make it become the name people think of when they think MMA is another story though.

Yeah, UFC is dying.

Never heard that one before.

Being more authentic in terms of sporting is only relevant if they can turn that into more viewers. Whatever approach gets the most views/buys is the correct one in a strictly business approach. The UFC profited more than 1/3rd of a billion dollars in 2022. I think they are doing fine.

A fair assessment..and i personally don't think the UFC is in trouble just yet ...by any means and the financials support that .

But im speaking more to the ideas or principles that could make the difference when it comes to talent acquisition and retention...the UFC needs the fighters as much as the fighters need a promotion to fight for if not more...no fighters no show ..

Every single one of those fighters was beyond their prime except OAM. Hell Marlon Moraes was literally retired until he decided he couldn’t resist the urge to get knocked out a few more times. And lmao at signing Jake Paul as some sort of win. Watching him fight some fellow neophyte on the main card is huge for the integrity of the sport. The UFC also was able to poach the best fighter they ever had.

You already have to fight four times in a year to win the tournament. I'm not sure how much more often people can realistically fight.

Perhaps the seasons extend longer then 1 calendar year...like of other major sports...or shorten the regular season but put in more 1 night tournaments and end the year with a super event or something... there's options in that point based system weve seen in other sports that could be applied..

They could also run small competitions leading to a bigger show later on .. like Heats or mini leagues leading to a grand prix finish at the end of the year or something based on regions of the world or even countries..

It will take abit of creativity but doable as there using a sport first based approach and there's lots of examples to use from the other sports

If PFL don't bury the UFC then ONE eventually will.

Dana had a good run but it's over now.

A fair assessment..and i personally don't think the UFC is in trouble just yet ...by any means and the financials support that .

But im speaking more to the ideas or principles that could make the difference when it comes to talent acquisition and retention...the UFC needs the fighters as much as the fighters need a promotion to fight for if not more...no fighters no show ..

BINGO. This guy gets it.

Perhaps the seasons extend longer then 1 calendar year...like of other major sports...or shorten the regular season but put in more 1 night tournaments and end the year with a super event or something... there's options in that point based system weve seen in other sports that could be applied..

They could also run small competitions leading to a bigger show later on .. like Heats or mini leagues leading to a grand prix finish at the end of the year or something based on regions of the world or even countries..

It will take abit of creativity but doable as there using a sport first based approach and there's lots of examples to use from the other sports

I think they already are. Running a smaller European tournament this year I believe. Probably a few more too. But yes they will figure it out. They already have some fighters that have bouts that aren’t for the tournament as well.

Back