People with a VERY successful parent, that manage to surpass that parent.

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
It's so easy for people with a very successful parent to skate through life and never achieve greatness, never escape their parent's shadow.

But a few people managed to do it.

I can only think of sports examples though. Kobe Bryant, Klay Thompson, Steph Curry... any other examples? Especially outside of sports?

When the parent is a self-made success story, you've got to assume the kid had a massive head start in achieving their own success.

Even if the parent had restraint as far as spoiling the kid, I can't think of a scenario where a rags-to-riches parent forced the kids to start back at "rags" again.

When the parent is a self-made success story, you've got to assume the kid had a massive head start in achieving their own success.

Even if the parent had restraint as far as spoiling the kid, I can't think of a scenario where a rags-to-riches parent forced the kids to start back at "rags" again.
Yeah I'm not necessarily saying the kid needs to start from the bottom like the parent did. They just need to surpass their parent's achievements even though their parent's achievements are insanely difficult to surpass.

Certainly Klay Thompson had more opportunities than his father did. But good for him, he took advantage and put in the work and outshined his father. Nobody could say he's living in his father's shadow now.

Not Sports...
Jeff Bridges
Miley Cyrus
Sally Field
Kurt Russell

Bing Russell and Margaret Field (and the creep Jock Mahoney) and Lloyd Bridges weren't huge stars but they were quite successful actors compared to the vast majority.

Sports...
Barry Bonds
Ken Griffey Jr.
Peyton Manning and probably Eli as well

You can make an argument for Melanie Griffith, Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland, Jane Fonda, etc.

Both Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez probably peaked higher than Martin Sheen but he was still going strong when both their stars had faded.

Last edited:
There are a ton of examples in history.

A recent one:

0x0.jpg

Plenty have successful/rich parents that are billionaires:

Jeff Bozos
Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Taylor Swift

It's hard to achieve what they've done because a lot of rich kids aren't as rich as they are. But they definitely have an upper hand because of their parents knowledge, connection and funds.

Donald Trump
William Vanderbilt
Justin Trudeu
Elon Musk

Plenty have successful/rich parents that are billionaires:

Jeff Bozos
Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Taylor Swift

It's hard to achieve what they've done because a lot of rich kids aren't as rich as they are. But they definitely have an upper hand because of their parents knowledge, connection and funds.

Imagine how Jesus feels.

Jackie Chan. Except he disowned his daughter in the end.

Back