PC vs MAC - For people who have used both which is better?

Which is better?

• Total voters
pc's are better if you want to customize and the ability to do more, so long as you know the basics on maintaining a computer. macs are better if you are a, "simple" user, who doesn't care about specking-out and individualizing their computer, and wants ease of use.

For just home use, Mac is the way to go. Of course, you have to buy a new one every 10 years or so when they come out with a new OS because you can’t upgrade your hardware like you can on a PC. But if you aren’t poor, it shouldn’t be a problem.

In an enterprise environment, PC is really the only way you can go. It’s too bad Microsoft can’t make their shit work with their other shit though. Their problem is they used the public as their beta testers and hope we all come up with solutions to issues they didn’t resolve before release.

I use PC for work and Mac at home. PC always eventually requires updates, slows down eventually and seems to have shit go wrong. I have had this Mac for 3 and a half years and had no issues at all, still works like it did out of the box. I believe the fact the Mac OS is designed for the hardware is meant to mean it's much less susceptible to config errors etc but I'm not sure.

The best would be if everyone and all the game devs, software companies, and 3rd party manufacturers just swarmed to Linux so it would be standard.

Then also if Linux had some guys from Apple work for them to create a GUI version or three meant to appeal to use by your average person, office workers, artists, etc.

Then you'd have every best possible thing, all in one package.

Depends on what kind of person you are and how you are going to use it. Want something easy that's hard to break and mostly for casual use? Mac.

Are you a geek that likes to tinker, game and do more than just casual things? PC.

I like and use both but my PC is my hub for everything. Music, games, movies, web, chat, work, etc.

My Mac is reserved for watching movies in bed, connecting to the TV or casual web browsing. It's great for that kind of stuff but too clunky if you want to do much more.

Couldn't say it better myself.

I am curious about this as it seems you only use the Mac for watching movies, connecting to the TV and web browsing which all are done easily enough on the PC. SO if the PC does every thing else why have the Mac at all?

And for those complaining about viruses on the PC, when is the last time you had one? OR are you referring to a decade ago when that was common? I don't want to jink myself but I haven't had a virus on my PC's in about 10 years and I download off some pretty sketchy sites.

There are just as many viruses targeted for the mac as windows.

That's false. There is statistically many more Windows installations over MacOS worldwide and it has a bigger attack surface due. Not to mention it is more more logical/efficient for someone to write malware for Windows over MacOS. Use NotPetya for example which occurred last year and has an estimate damage of over 10 billion. It took out pharmaceutical, energy, oil, banking, shipping companies....etc. MacOS is a lowered priority for attackers for many reasons. Think of it like human viruses.

If you want to pay 3x the amount for the same hardware to browse the internet, Macs are a great option.

Exaggeration as it depends exactly on the specific hardware you are talking about and when you purchase in the life cycle. You can't price out a machine with Xeons, ECC memory to be cheaper than when the iMac Pro came out(plenty of articles covered people trying to do this).

Where Apple becomes ridiculous is obsolete hardware that they still sell at a premium such as the Mac Mini and Mac Pro. The flipside of this is that Apple's resale value is through the roof and there is demand for it. Good luck trying to unload a 4 year old Windows laptop but a Macbook will sell easy on the used market.

I will say MacOS out of the box is useless outside of browsing the internet. For file management its terrible in it's default state. Luckily it's pretty customizable and once you know how to configure it then it's actually a decent OS(though I always stay a bit behind in their OS releases as I'm not stupid enough to be a beta tester).

i'm about as anti-mac as one can be.

that being said, i do prefer to use a macbook using playback pro for video playback for conferences/meetings/etc that i'm involved in. if PBP is unavailable, then i use a PC with VLC.

I feel the problem is people pick up cheap PCs and compare them to Macs. Spend 3/4s the money you would on Mac and youll have a baller PC.

One thing I hate about windows is the search functionality.

The search just simply doesn't work properly. There will be a file on my computer called "Blah" and then I type "Blah" into the start menu and nothing appears.

Yes, Windows can't find it's ass with both hands. About the time I get used to using a feature,they change it.

For just home use, Mac is the way to go. Of course, you have to buy a new one every 10 years or so when they come out with a new OS because you can’t upgrade your hardware like you can on a PC. But if you aren’t poor, it shouldn’t be a problem.

In an enterprise environment, PC is really the only way you can go. It’s too bad Microsoft can’t make their shit work with their other shit though. Their problem is they used the public as their beta testers and hope we all come up with solutions to issues they didn’t resolve before release.

When Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 10, nothing worked with it, including my scanner, printer, cameras etc. I was able to buy a laptop with Windows 7 so I could still use them. Then it's a chore to keep that computer from updating to Windows 10 every time I use it.

I use a Mac to do editing work but nothing else. I strongly prefer PC over Macs overall. I would switch to a PC for editing work but I already purchased a full version of Adobe CS for the Mac a while back and, if I am being honest, the Mac is a great editing/multi media machine.

I am curious about this as it seems you only use the Mac for watching movies, connecting to the TV and web browsing which all are done easily enough on the PC. SO if the PC does every thing else why have the Mac at all?

And for those complaining about viruses on the PC, when is the last time you had one? OR are you referring to a decade ago when that was common? I don't want to jink myself but I haven't had a virus on my PC's in about 10 years and I download off some pretty sketchy sites.

I have a Macbook just so I could be familiar with them and as my laptop. I didn't feel the need to have a Window laptop when I use Windows all day on my PC.

The Macbook just sits on my nightstand and I bring it out when I want to browse the web or watch a movie before bed. I credit Macbooks with how well everything works for media but I would feel gimped if I only had a Mac.

When Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 10, nothing worked with it, including my scanner, printer, cameras etc. I was able to buy a laptop with Windows 7 so I could still use them. Then it's a chore to keep that computer from updating to Windows 10 every time I use it.

Windows 10 is also a support nightmare. For instance, let’s say you have your enterprise users on Windows 7. You order new computers, as is standard every few years, and plan to put Windows 10 on the new computers to replace all the old ones. You need to be able to transfer users’ profiles from their old computers to their new ones right when they get their new ones to keep everything up to date, but can’t do a straight file copy because there are so many different user settings and registry keys not caught by the file copy.

You can rip the user state migration tool out of windows ADK, which you use to build the win 10 images. You customize that and test it out and everything works great. Well, too bad that shit doesn’t work on win 7. It only works for transferring profiles from windows 10 computers to other windows 10 computers. So you’re shit out of luck.

This is just one of many issues Microsoft caused by being so fucking short sighted. I could list hundreds, all of which have to be overcome to perform a simple OS upgrade and hardware refresh in an enterprise environment. Enterprise computing is the only reason MS is still around BTW. If they keep fucking that up, Amazon is hot on their tail and they will push their shit in.

I have a Macbook just so I could be familiar with them and as my laptop. I didn't feel the need to have a Window laptop when I use Windows all day on my PC.

The Macbook just sits on my nightstand and I bring it out when I want to browse the web or watch a movie before bed. I credit Macbooks with how well everything works for media but I would feel gimped if I only had a Mac.
So it sounds like the Mac does nothing better than the PC and the PC does many things better than the Mac but since you work with a PC all day you just want something different at home, thus the MAC. Is that right?

Macs are better if you like reliability, ease of use, and a pleasant interface.

PCs are better if you like viruses, and computer freezing.
Stop clicking on suspect links noob, Jennifer doesn't exist! :D
85335431.png

PC's are far more suspect to viruses because that's where the mass market is. They are open platforms too, so there's more room for error/exploits.

Windows 10 is also a support nightmare. For instance, let’s say you have your enterprise users on Windows 7. You order new computers, as is standard every few years, and plan to put Windows 10 on the new computers to replace all the old ones. You need to be able to transfer users’ profiles from their old computers to their new ones right when they get their new ones to keep everything up to date, but can’t do a straight file copy because there are so many different user settings and registry keys not caught by the file copy.

You can rip the user state migration tool out of windows ADK, which you use to build the win 10 images. You customize that and test it out and everything works great. Well, too bad that shit doesn’t work on win 7. It only works for transferring profiles from windows 10 computers to other windows 10 computers. So you’re shit out of luck.

This is just one of many issues Microsoft caused by being so fucking short sighted. I could list hundreds, all of which have to be overcome to perform a simple OS upgrade and hardware refresh in an enterprise environment. Enterprise computing is the only reason MS is still around BTW. If they keep fucking that up, Amazon is hot on their tail and they will push their shit in.
i feel like my work computers are really bad with windows 10 compared to previous iterations, specifically because 10 gives zero fucks about pushing updates whenever the hell it wants. Super awesome when you're halfway through a three day reaction and your control desktop takes a shit.

Back