PC vs MAC - For people who have used both which is better?

Which is better?

• Total voters
You know a virus can’t kill components right? Fresh windows install and it’s like new.

Yeah but I Iost all my shit in the process because I didn't have a back up. They're just not worth the trouble.

Yeah but I Iost all my shit in the process because I didn't have a back up. They're just not worth the trouble.

Forget viruses... hard drives fail all the time. The fail on both PCs and Macs since they use the same hard drives basically. You want to back up your data often.

It depends on what your needs are. Different tools for different jobs.

If you want to game, or you want something affordable to do basic internet stuff and word processing then get a PC.

If you need performance, stability and security to do more important and resource intensive work then maybe you should get a Mac. Its unix based OS is specifically designed for the hardware you are running. This is why it is popular for software development, graphics design, video editing, etc.

Bunch of idiots in here who don't know WTF they're talking about.
First of all, let's start with this image of NASA/JPL's mission control room during the Mars Curiosity Rover touchdown.
mars1208060-1.jpg

(Hespect for that lone guy running a Thinkpad.)

JPL warroom with nothing but JPL engineers running nothing but Macs:
macbook-pros-at-nasa-jet-propulsion-lab.jpg

Now why do you suppose this is? You think this is because Macs are a less adaptable, less compatible, less configurable, less stable, less usable, or less anything? Exactly the opposite. There's a reason that serious users of serious computing in academic, scientific and engineering computing choose Macs over PCs.

Go take a peek at in the labs of engineering departments that do computational or mathematical modeling. Tell me what platform the majority are using. If you're doing data science, it ain't fucking Windows, that's for sure. For one, Windows isn't Unix, while OSX is. For serious computing, there is Unix and there is everything else. (Well, not for financial computing and a few other things, but that's something else.) Macs simply work better in the *nix environment because it IS a Unix.

Heavy hitting computing aside, Macs are better for day to day use because the UI is better thought out and is much more powerful once you learn its basic principles. Updates? I'm writing this on a six year old Macbook Pro from 2012 and every feature of the latest point update of OSX works for me, so IDK WTF people bitching about lack of updates and broken compatibility are complaining about. Quit buying cheap shit. (FWIW, my heavily modded (BIOS, firmware, keyboard, screen, etc) Thinkpad from 2012 is also still running like a champ.)

On the back end, Macs are arguably more compatible, more configurable and more stable than similar Windows PCs. If, OTOH, your primary computing interests are playing video games, consuming media and other tiddly wink bullshit like changing the color of your taskbar, then sure, PCs get the nod.

Personally, at any given time, I have at least one Macbook Pro with couple VMs of various different Windows versions + a Linux distro (usually something Debian based) and one Thinkpad native booting Win7, Win10 + Arch or whatever I'm fucking around with this month.

Each of the platforms has their place. OTOH, people who run their mouth off without fully considering the question (like half the morons in this thread) need to STFU and let the adults talk.

Not really, just thought I'd bring back the old Doughbelly form for a post or two.

Last edited:
First of all, let's start with this image of NASA/JPL's mission control room during the Mars Curiosity Rover touchdown.
mars1208060-1.jpg

Now why do you suppose this is? You think this is because Macs are a less adaptable, less compatible, less configurable, less stable, less usable, or less anything? Exactly the opposite. There's a reason that serious users of serious computing in academic, scientific and engineering computing choose Macs over PCs.

Go take a peek at in the labs of engineering departments that do computational or mathematical modeling. Tell me what platform the majority are using. If you're doing data science, it ain't fucking Windows, that's for sure. For one, Windows isn't Unix, while OSX is. For serious computing, there is Unix and there is everything else. (Well, not for financial computing and a few other things, but that's something else.) Macs simply work better in the *nix environment because it IS a Unix.

Heavy hitting computing aside, Macs are better for day to day use because the UI is better thought out and is much more powerful once you learn its basic principles. Updates? I'm writing this on a six year old Macbook Pro from 2012 and every feature of the latest point update of OSX works for me, so IDK WTF people bitching about lack of updates and broken compatibility are complaining about. Quit buying cheap shit. (FWIW, my heavily modded (BIOS, firmware, keyboard, screen, etc) Thinkpad from 2012 is also still running like a champ.)

On the back end, Macs are arguably more compatible, more configurable and more stable than similar Windows PCs. If, OTOH, your primary computing interests are playing video games, consuming media and other tiddly wink bullshit like changing the color of your taskbar, then sure, PCs get the nod.

Personally, at any given time, I have at least one Macbook Pro with couple VMs of various different Windows versions + a Linux distro (usually something Debian based) and one Thinkpad native booting Win7, Win10 + Arch or whatever I'm fucking around with this month.

Each of the platforms has their place. OTOH, people who run their mouth off without fully considering the question (like half the morons in this thread) need to STFU and let the adults talk.

Not really, just thought I'd bring back the old Doughbelly form for a post or two.
All kidding aside, the reason all those people are using macs is because it’s a gov contract for thier it dept, and it’s based moreso on cost. While macs for the most part are more expensive for consumer users, gov edu etc get massively discounted pricing so they run with that.

My best friend runs the IT department for a high end private school, he’s told me about the discounts he was able to get to switch over to apple products a few years back. It’s crazy the discounts they get.

Apple uses this for marketing where people like you see a bunch of people doing rudimentary tasks in a large room on tv and think apple must be better so they go pay top dollar.

If I tried to run the hydraulics models I run at work on my Mac book(and it was high powered for a MacBook when it was new) vs my windows machine it would look at me stupid like “what the fuck am I suppose to do with this??”

But the same could be said for most people’s pc’s here too if they tried to run virtual hydraulic modeling on free flowing wellbores.

But macs just don’t have the power to do it in a timely manner unless you spend 5x as much.

Show me a serious engineering firm running a Mac program.
Hint , I doubt it exists.

They just relatively recently started making quadro’s for macs, and they don’t stand up to the quadro’s for pc.

mars1208060-1.jpg

I work in a science department. Most use Macs simply by preference and because of the Unix shell. Not because the hardware is better or the configurations are more useful.

I work for NASA and we use Macs cause hentai looks better on a retina diaplay

I remember when Windows used to ask for permission to update or update when you shut down. Now, Windows 10 just updates whenever it feels like it.

This is a huge peeve when it comes to work. I have something pressing I need to take care of but Windows decides now is the time to update :mad:

Seen a lot of people mentioning viruses. This isn't the 90s/early 2000s. AdBlock plus antivirus software, haven't ran into a virus in over a decade. Of course I'm not downloading random files from strange websites either.

Back