Pat Miletich: unknown man who could beat any MMA fighter

A bad dude who was probably also a practice pete.

Good point about cardio. When I was new in boxing I remember this incredible boxer who was high level in the amateur boxing. The only reason I survived was due to him not having an intense cardio regimen while my life revolved around running hills two times a day just so I could work towards spamming straight punches to overcome my at the time lack of boxing skills.

But that's boxing and boxing has way too much talent and participant. Hence I get if talented boxers don't want to stick around but with MMA fame you can get the credibility you need to start a business since you don't have to fight a billion opponents to make it in the big shows.

I don't want to say cardio is everything, but damn... I've always been focused on lifting and running and boxing a bit, but never to a serious degree (1 mile, 30 minutes lifting, etc), so my cardio in sparring is a joke. The difference is night and day. You can run into a guy who isn't naturally tough and has sloppy arm punch hands, but if you're not finishing him in three minutes and you wind up sucking air while he continues to pitter patter you with straight punches, it's just a battering experience. ;D

I will always remember pat miltetich as the guy who got subbed by a head lock.

No shame in that. I subbed my little brother with one back in 2nd grade and I've seen greats such as Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Koko B. Ware get subbed by them too.

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?
The weight cut, absurdly low entry to mid level pay, and the difficulty in actually finding a matchup for a skilled guy (one that doesn't back out at the last minute) keeps a lot of otherwise talented people out of the sport.

Steve Rusk vs Bart Vale UFC 293
$119.99

C'mon Dana

Some people just cant be bothered for a manner of reasons to pursue an athletic career, sometimes its lifebgetting in tne way

I don't want to say cardio is everything, but damn... I've always been focused on lifting and running and boxing a bit, but never to a serious degree (1 mile, 30 minutes lifting, etc), so my cardio in sparring is a joke. The difference is night and day. You can run into a guy who isn't naturally tough and has sloppy arm punch hands, but if you're not finishing him in three minutes and you wind up sucking air while he continues to pitter patter you with straight punches, it's just a battering experience. ;D
I use to spar and train with my old supervisor, this man was 6 fot 4 slightly over weight, horribly athletic, had terrible footwork, ugly punching technique (but could hit hard) smoked and drunk regulary and was an ex heroin addict, but ne could push rnd after rnd out as nothing fazed him, he was so relaxed and would plod along at his pace while occasionaly putting a big shot in. I think the fact that he surfed and swam alot in his younger days helped his cardio and the fact that he had lived a crazy life kept him relaxed

Im sure there r people w uber talent that dont play the sport they could be the best in. The best fighter in the world could be some guy no ones ever heard of. Tom brady was no one until drew brees went down and he never was a backup again.

He google tells me is three times all american and i expect that to be hyper over exaggeration.

Bigger theee tme all american would obviously manhandle smaller grapllers.
Smaller grapplers like hughes and lindland? Cause thats who miletich is talking about. Not like rusk was manhandling jens pulver. Ii highly doubt that mietich is pumping up rusk just to do it. But you can believe that mieletich is lying if u want.

I use to spar and train with my old supervisor, this man was 6 fot 4 slightly over weight, horribly athletic, had terrible footwork, ugly punching technique (but could hit hard) smoked and drunk regulary and was an ex heroin addict, but ne could push rnd after rnd out as nothing fazed him, he was so relaxed and would plod along at his pace while occasionaly putting a big shot in. I think the fact that he surfed and swam alot in his younger days helped his cardio and the fact that he had lived a crazy life kept him relaxed
Sounds like George Foreman when he came back as a fat old man. Dude was so relaxed and just plodded foreward with serious fucking power.

He google tells me is three times all american and i expect that to be hyper over exaggeration.

Bigger theee tme all american would obviously manhandle smaller grapllers.
Can we get someone to translate this mess?

Some guys just do it for fun in the gym plus staying healthy.
About the money, they could probably have a high paying corprate job that can cover that can cover alot of broke ufc fighter’s debt with his gas money. No point in quitting that on a gamble, dont forget long term injuries and annoying fight camps and weight cutting. Not everyone is can/wants to be a pro fighter.

That’s why I quit. I make more in two hours as liaison to team lead on my GeekSquad.

A lot of gyms have a similar guy. Not all the best have what it takes to jump through the hoops necessary to get in the cage for a sanctioned fight.

just glad enough of them do to keep it interesting
Exactly. The hardest part of fighting is putting yourself in public to risk humiliation, especially for an Alpha male. Cerrone talked a bit about this, how he hates performing but loves fighting and beasts all day in the gym. Getting tapped by your sparring partner is different than getting tapped infant of the whole world and getting your social media bombed with memes.

Not trying to talk myself up, but I would always do well in sparring with pro guys around my gym. Sparred with guys that have gone on to hold pro belts and gotten the better of them in gym wars.

That all went out the window if I went to another gym or actually competed. Had a lot of trouble pulling the trigger when not in an environment I was used to. Watching video of some of my fights is painful, it's so obvious I was holding back but at the time I just couldn't get out of my own head. Lost fights to amateurs having their first match that would get decimated in the gym.

Tried to work on it but it was immensely hard and didn't really make any progress. Eventually decided I didn't want to take any more damage if I wasn't going to take it all the way.

I can understand how any number of things could get in the way of a talented individual, especially with regard to combat Sports.
I put everything aside too, only worked on weekends, stayed away for relationships, trained every day etc. Love for the sport aside, everyone has their limits and they're free to accept them and back off or try to push forward at their own behest.

Back