Pat Miletich: unknown man who could beat any MMA fighter

I saw hobbyists in boxing gyms beating pro fighters- not top tier though.

There are some crazy dedicated people that don't make a living from sports but still run Ironman in their forties etc.

People say Crazy Bob Cook (AKA) was an absolute beast in the gym, as in, he could hold his own with any top pros.
But he’s just a trainer/manager, who decided not to fight professionally.

This makes it difficult to asses because you have a guy like Joe Riggs who by all counts is beastly fighter in the gym but he never truly was able to display his abilities in fights. Now he is a good fighter but not as good as he is supposed to be in the gym. Wonder that is the case for Bob.

I remember an old rumor about some huge prisoner--the toughest guy in the yard--who did 1,000 pushups a day and was just waiting to get out and dominate MMA. Not sure if that was a legend (based on the true account of boxer Ron Lyle in the 70s) or if it never panned out.

I am curious to know who that is!

This makes it difficult to asses because you have a guy like Joe Riggs who by all counts is beastly fighter in the gym but he never truly was able to display his abilities in fights. Now he is a good fighter but not as good as he is supposed to be in the gym. Wonder that is the case for Bob.

I agree, but he did go 5-0 in the minor leagues, finishing all his opponents.
His last fight was with Tiki Ghoshen in 2000.

Hard to say for sure if he could have been #1 in the world or anything like that, but at least it proves that he was legit,

Maybe he got a profession instead, MMA is a shaort career, not many make it and even of those who do not many make enough cash to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

i know i'd knock out any sherdogger who doesn't train like me.

Brian Stann had a similar story on a different guy again high level wrestler who apparently schooled Woodley when they trained but never intended to fight and has a good job for a big organisation. Didn't click on the ts vid but remember the podcast is this the same guy that dominated Lindland in wrestling whilst training at Pat's gym?

Even those with great skills and athleticism don’t always like getting punched in the face for a living.

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?

Some guys might have incredible natural inclination to grappling or striking (or maybe both) but be injury prone (friend of mine won IBJJF gold, but blew his shoulder in his first MMA fight) or perhaps just have nagging issues or laziness which prevents them from developing the cardio necessary to compete against solid competition. Or perhaps they just don't care about stepping into the cage.

Well....

None of that shit mattered seeing how this guy didn't have the balls or direction to actually compete so we can find out

That's why guy's fight in the cage against the best

Some guys are actually worst under the spot light. Not hating on this Rusk guy but saying he's the best "in the gym" doesn't do his ass diddly squat.

It's like saying, I once deadlifted 700 pounds...but it wasn't on camera nor was anyone around

Some guys might have incredible natural inclination to grappling or striking (or maybe both) but be injury prone (friend of mine won IBJJF gold, but blew his shoulder in his first MMA fight) or perhaps just have nagging issues or laziness which prevents them from developing the cardio necessary to compete against solid competition. Or perhaps they just don't care about stepping into the cage.

Good point about cardio. When I was new in boxing I remember this incredible boxer who was high level in the amateur boxing. The only reason I survived was due to him not having an intense cardio regimen while my life revolved around running hills two times a day just so I could work towards spamming straight punches to overcome my at the time lack of boxing skills.

But that's boxing and boxing has way too much talent and participant. Hence I get if talented boxers don't want to stick around but with MMA fame you can get the credibility you need to start a business since you don't have to fight a billion opponents to make it in the big shows.

Came here for this.

<DontBelieve1>
5 pages in
<LikeReally5>
Left without climaxing

All signs point to him being the real deal. First we can consider his credentials and being an Illinois State Champ in the toughest class, 2x NCAA DIII All American, 2x NCAA DI National qualifier, plus whatever he accomplished in grappling is pretty impressive. A State newspaper named him on of the 15 best high school wrestlers in Illinois history. That is a huge accolade in a state like Illinois. Then consider this, Pat is not the 1st person to tout this guys skills as incredible. Over the years guys like Ben Rothwell, Tim Sylvia, and Mark Coleman have spoke highly of this dude.

Im sure there are many other guys like this in MMA lore.
Talented-I believe that. But saying he's one of the best is just a hard argument to make. Maybe you should say he "might" have been one of the best. That's a statement of potential but not of accomplishment.

Well....

None of that shit mattered seeing how this guy didn't have the balls or direction to actually compete so we can find out

That's why guy's fight in the cage against the best

Some guys are actually worst under the spot light. Not hating on this Rusk guy but saying he's the best "in the gym" doesn't do his ass diddly squat.

It's like saying, I once deadlifted 700 pounds...but it wasn't on camera nor was anyone around
<LikeReally5>

Everybody has a story about a guy they know who would be unstoppable and easily be the GOAT.

It would be impossible for all of them to be correct however because they all claim there guy is #1.

Back