Pat Miletich: unknown man who could beat any MMA fighter

That makes sense, dealing with douchbag reporter looking for a soundbite can be a real pain in the ass. Same with fans who might get agro and want to start trouble. Funny thing is, in the age of social media and multi-platform stardom, I reckoned no one really views actors and athletes like they used to before because of so many avenues of becoming famous and thus we have YouTube or Instagram stars saturated the attention market sort of speak.

Before social media really blew up, guys like Joe Riggs, Karo Parisyan, Frank Trigg well known to the casuals in mid-2000s even though they were contender level while champions and pioneers like Chuck, Tito, Ken, Hughes and Franklin were superstars and a manager at a supermarket would talk about Rich Franklin being a math teacher despite the manager being a casual fan.

But regarding the topic and myself, it is immensely frustrating! You wanna know what's funny? It actually hurts more doing well in the gym and being told to have "great natural talent, full of potential" following up with " too bad you started late in life"

Hence my admiration and at the same time frustration of folks that have it all, everything is simply there, its not about talent for them, at this point they are a finished product ready for world championship price fighting. All they have to do is get their medicals done and go out there and win fights!

P.S: Did you do Kyokushin karate tournaments?

No, it was point fighting, I wouldn't try to claim otherwise. We did train continuous sparring for the sake of reality, but the tournaments were classic point karate style (chito-ryu was the style. It's actually different from shito-ryu if anyone cares).

Lol, again, I can see why that would be frustrating. I'm currently learning french and, while I can understand and communicate in the language, I wish my parents had put me into french immersion as a child (I'm canadian). So I can kinda see where you're coming from.

I don't mean to be an ass, but it sounds a bit like jealousy. Which is a legitimate and normal feeling, but should be recognized for what it is; it's not their problem or fault you're in your position. Though, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, and again, I can see why it's frustrating.

No, it was point fighting, I wouldn't try to claim otherwise. We did train continuous sparring for the sake of reality, but the tournaments were classic point karate style (chito-ryu was the style. It's actually different from shito-ryu if anyone cares).

Lol, again, I can see why that would be frustrating. I'm currently learning french and, while I can understand and communicate in the language, I wish my parents had put me into french immersion as a child (I'm canadian). So I can kinda see where you're coming from.

I don't mean to be an ass, but it sounds a bit like jealousy. Which is a legitimate and normal feeling, but should be recognized for what it is; it's not their problem or fault you're in your position. Though, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, and again, I can see why it's frustrating.

You are correct, though I did come to the conclusion of just being a life long practioner and student of technique. Just the whole Pat bringing this guy up opened up some old feelings. Its weird, every now and then, there is always a rare individual who has mastered a form of martial arts that partakes in compeition and yet, despite these individuals being a rare breed, oddly enough they have the same disinterested outlook.

Its confusing as hell but who knows, maybe reaching that level of mastery comes with some spiritual sensation that goes beyond fame and glory or if it comes to easy, there is no passion. The only person I can think of who was freak talent who peaked at the right time with relentless training was Roy Jones jr. He was the outlier among outliers.

Anyway, I am somewhat of a Karate fan. Is Chito Ryu the one that emphasis on Hojo Undo conditioning? I trained in Kyokushin myself and the body conditioning is really useful.

You are correct, though I did come to the conclusion of just being a life long practioner and student of technique. Just the whole Pat bringing this guy up opened up some old feelings. Its weird, every now and then, there is always a rare individual who has mastered a form of martial arts that partakes in compeition and yet, despite these individuals being a rare breed, oddly enough they have the same disinterested outlook.

Its confusing as hell but who knows, maybe reaching that level of mastery comes with some spiritual sensation that goes beyond fame and glory or if it comes to easy, there is no passion. The only person I can think of who was freak talent who peaked at the right time with relentless training was Roy Jones jr. He was the outlier among outliers.

Anyway, I am somewhat of a Karate fan. Is Chito Ryu the one that emphasis on Hojo Undo conditioning? I trained in Kyokushin myself and the body conditioning is really useful.

I hear ya man. We all have those things that grind our gears. I can't comment on that level of mastery tbh, never having reached it in any aspect myself. In terms of disinterest and listlessness, if you're interested, I would recommend the book "the stranger" by Albert Camus (or L'étranger" if you speak french). It's a great book but the mastery aspect would be absent.

I watch some boxing but I don't really follow it too much. I've seen some of his highlight reel though and he did some amazing things.

Honestly, I don't what form of conditioning we did. We focused more on arms then legs though (in terms of conditioning, not strikes). I think this was mainly for blocking strikes. Unless I misunderstood you. I assumed you meant bone conditioning and hitting hard things hard lol. If you mean working the muscles then yeah it was great all around.

I hear ya man. We all have those things that grind our gears. I can't comment on that level of mastery tbh, never having reached it in any aspect myself. In terms of disinterest and listlessness, if you're interested, I would recommend the book "the stranger" by Albert Camus (or L'étranger" if you speak french). It's a great book but the mastery aspect would be absent.

I watch some boxing but I don't really follow it too much. I've seen some of his highlight reel though and he did some amazing things.

Honestly, I don't what form of conditioning we did. We focused more on arms then legs though (in terms of conditioning, not strikes). I think this was mainly for blocking strikes. Unless I misunderstood you. I assumed you meant bone conditioning and hitting hard things hard lol. If you mean working the muscles then yeah it was great all around.

The conditioning would be a mix of both bone and muscle training as well as isometrics. Curios to know if you guys ever do this type of training?

Triple-H.gif

Just another gym-warrior. If he was really that good, he would have competed in the UFC, and made easy money. The mental game is a huge part of life.

If there is a mental block stopping you from becoming the best professional in a particular field, then you are not built for that field.

lol fighting mma is not easy money. it is hard work, dangeeous as fuck, and not good money.

pretty much any career path is easier.

lol fighting mma is not easy money. it is hard work, dangeeous as fuck, and not good money.

pretty much any career path is easier.
My philosophy is that no career path is easier or harder than another, when you factor in every single variable that influences life. Some people find "hard" paths easy and "easy" paths hard and vice versa.

My philosophy is that no career path is easier or harder than another, when you factor in every single variable that influences life. Some people find "hard" paths easy and "easy" paths hard and vice versa.

<{Joewithit}>

I remember an old rumor about some huge prisoner--the toughest guy in the yard--who did 1,000 pushups a day and was just waiting to get out and dominate MMA. Not sure if that was a legend (based on the true account of boxer Ron Lyle in the 70s) or if it never panned out.

Oh yeah.. We have one of them posting on here, makes thread how he would beat up Chris Leben and that he trains with guys that do not fight pro mma, but if they did they would be world champs or at least top 5 in the world...
I wish I could recall the posters name... I think he rocks some Joe Rogan AV (?)

As a former professional musician, I can personally attest that "being a pro" has much much more to do with the willingness to put in the work, pursue opportunities and carve a path in that particular profession than merely skill.

That doesn't dismiss skill, but if I had to have a choice between the two I would pick desire/motivation, everything else can be learned.

Some of the best raw talent I've seen were in "amateur" situations as and some of the steady working "pros" I've seen weren't necessarily the most gifted.

The lucky few that have both tend to find their way to the top, but many many hard workers with desire stand beside them. There is more than one path to get anywhere.

Pat Miletich is talking about a guy name Steve Rusk who had two MMA fights and won but his only recorded battle was a grappling contest against Drysdale and he lost. Anyway, he is saying how this Steve Rusk fella would manhandle guys like Matt and Dave Strasser with ease.

Have you seen people like that who had legendary skills but didn't pursue fighting full time?

Conjecture. Fake news essentially.

I almost started a thread on this yesterday. I just have my doubts about this. I'm sure the guy was talented but to say he's better than known pro fighters (after seeing his loss in grappling) tells me he's not by any means unstoppable.
All signs point to him being the real deal. First we can consider his credentials and being an Illinois State Champ in the toughest class, 2x NCAA DIII All American, 2x NCAA DI National qualifier, plus whatever he accomplished in grappling is pretty impressive. A State newspaper named him on of the 15 best high school wrestlers in Illinois history. That is a huge accolade in a state like Illinois. Then consider this, Pat is not the 1st person to tout this guys skills as incredible. Over the years guys like Ben Rothwell, Tim Sylvia, and Mark Coleman have spoke highly of this dude.

Im sure there are many other guys like this in MMA lore.

Pat Miletich is talking about a guy name Steve Rusk who had two MMA fights and won but his only recorded battle was a grappling contest against Drysdale and he lost. Anyway, he is saying how this Steve Rusk fella would manhandle guys like Matt and Dave Strasser with ease.

Have you seen people like that who had legendary skills but didn't pursue fighting full time?

People say Crazy Bob Cook (AKA) was an absolute beast in the gym, as in, he could hold his own with any top pros.
But he’s just a trainer/manager, who decided not to fight professionally.

Sounds like hogwash.

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?
Because not everyone wants CTE when they're 45.

Not that you give a fuck, obviously

There are guys like this in every gym, those who decide to compete and go pro are not always the best of the gyms but sometimes those who have nothing better to do.

I mean if they have the skill then why not get in there to get some money and recognition?
Other professions can make much more money and keep martial arts less of a job so to speak.

Let’s say you get signed by UFC. USADA owns your diet and body. No Mary Jane at the cottage. Media obligations. Heroes at the bar wanting to test you all the time.

The biggest thing is supporting a family or even starting a family.

You now have to make enough money in your prime years to make up for the missing out on starting your own businesses or developing a skill set that will be in demand at 40 years old.

MMA is not a friendly occupation.

Cole Konrad is another example of this, although definitely had more exposure than this guy. Brock said he was the only guy to toss him around a little in practice and he was the undefeated bellator he champ. He retired to have an actual career, and that doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me.

~DaViD~

Back