P.T. Anderson is the best Director now.

{<doc}

poster_onlygodforgives.jpg

ZZ0F4A9FBB.jpg

Neon Demon was the best movie of 2016. What is the point of your post? Only God Forgives was good as well but it was hard to follow up the masterpiece Drive.

Go watch Phantom Thread where literally nothing happens. Worst movie of all time

Nicolas Winding Refn perhaps suffers a bit from "the Matrix factor" where you have people who've not been exposed to much artier cinema proclaiming him the second coming but still I think he's a great director of genre cinema giving it a lot more craft/depth ala Tarantino, just more visually focused and a good deal rawer.

Last edited:
Neon Demon was the best movie of 2016. What is the point of your post? Only God Forgives was good as well but it was hard to follow up the masterpiece Drive.

Go watch Phantom Thread where literally nothing happens. Worst movie of all time

Neon Demon was a steaming pile of shit, It got a horrible review from both critics and audience. Only God forgives was so bad, it got booed at the film festival where people are literally going to see an arty film.

Neon Demon was a steaming pile of shit, It got a horrible review from both critics and audience. Only God forgives was so bad, it got booed at the film festival where people are literally going to see an arty film.

Neon Demon was amazing. Did you even see it? Only God Forgives needs a rewatch but I remember enjoying it.

Phantom Thread is the real steaming pile of shit. People walked out of the theater. Oscar people have their heads so far up their ass they were going to praise anything DDL did for his “final” film.

Neon Demon was amazing. Did you even see it? Only God Forgives needs a rewatch but I remember enjoying it.

Phantom Thread is the real steaming pile of shit. People walked out of the theater. Oscar people have their heads so far up their ass they were going to praise anything DDL did for his “final” film.

Of course, I watched both. Drive got me pumped up for Only God Forgives, only it left me ashamed of myself for wasting my time and energy to that incoherent atrocity. I had to question myself what the fuck did I just watch. I gave the director the last chance and watched Neon Demon. Although it was certainly better than his previous film, It was still a hot mess just like how I expected.

Of course, I watched both. Drive got me pumped up for Only God Forgives, only it left me ashamed of myself for wasting my time and energy to that incoherent atrocity. I had to question myself what the fuck did I just watch. I gave the director the last chance and watched Neon Demon. Although it was certainly better than his previous film, It was still a hot mess just like how I expected.

Only God Forgives was far from incoherent. It sounds like the film went above your head. The story was simple and tight. The cinematography and music in the film were amazing. Neon Demon wasn’t a hot mess either. There really wasn’t anything wrong with the film.

I've loved everything he's done except punch drunk love and Inherent vice.

Andrew Dominik is flawless so far. Also love Martin McDonagh's films, and his brother's not bad either

Only God Forgives was far from incoherent. It sounds like the film went above your head. The story was simple and tight. The cinematography and music in the film were amazing. Neon Demon wasn’t a hot mess either. There really wasn’t anything wrong with the film.

The film being incoherent and being all over the place was the main complaint lol

The main arch was simple alright, the way director executed was the problem with all those obnoxious ambiguities and shitty dialogue & forceful storytelling.

It was the prime example of Style over substance.

Neon Demon shares the similar problems.

Wasn't anything wrong with it? If the film takes so much shit from both critics and audience, It means there is something deeply troubling about it. People don't hate movies for no reason, especially the critics.

The film being incoherent and being all over the place was the main complaint lol

The main arch was simple alright, the way director executed was the problem with all those obnoxious ambiguities and shitty dialogue & forceful storytelling.

Wasn't anything wrong with it? If the film takes so much shit from both critics and audience, It means there is something deeply troubling about it. People don't hate movies for no reason, especially the critics.

Honestly though I kind of think the problem with reception is that he falls between two camps, he's not your typical respectful art-house director and he's not your straightforward genre film maker, add the kind of very gory content(I admit I'v never watched the torture scene in God Forgives with my eyes open) he includes and that's going to piss off a lot of people.

In the "style over substance" I must admit I find that more with Denis Villeneuve, not that his films don't have substance but his style doesn't always play into highlighting that, Refn's style I think naturally plays into his drama much more.

The movie went over a lot of peoples heads. Those critics are the ones who called it incoherent which it certainly was not. There are a lot of people who consider OGF the best film of the last decade. It’s frequently listed as one of the most underrated films in recent years.

It’s a deep film. This review sums up my thoughts better than I can.

http://www.moonproject.co.uk/only-g...atest-picture-is-a-misunderstood-masterpiece/

I think you should rewatch it

The movie went over a lot of peoples heads. Those critics are the ones who called it incoherent which it certainly was not. There are a lot of people who consider OGF the best film of the last decade. It’s frequently listed as one of the most underrated films in recent years.

http://www.moonproject.co.uk/only-g...atest-picture-is-a-misunderstood-masterpiece/

<KingstonFrown>
Watch it again ??! It would require me to have a great courage to go through that all over again.

a great director should be able to make a good movie and put butts in seats. PT doesn't put butts in seats.

you accusing people of having a film go over their heads is ripe considering Phantom Thread somehow managed to go way over yours. for shame, Harry, for shame.

There Will be Blood made $75 million in the US, that's pretty impressive for such a film.

I think people become so obcessed with the ultra budget/box office blockbusters that they ignore lower budget films can actually make a very decent profit indeed, actually higher as a percentage than the big blockbusters.

Last edited:
you accusing people of having a film go over their heads is ripe considering Phantom Thread somehow managed to go way over yours. for shame, Harry, for shame.

It didn’t go over me. It was just a bad movie.

He has been canning it up with the Master, Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread.

That is probably Scorcese’s worst film and DDL overacted in it. The film was an uneven mess.

No. Bill the Butcher towers over discount Daniel Plainviews basic milkshake drinking ass. Plainview is the performance DDL came up with after asking himself what Bill would be like if someone resurrected him as a simpleton dullard who was born without balls that spent a large portion of his life humping fire hydrants and cleaning windows with his tongue.

Gangs of New York was pretty average as a film tho.

Back