P.T. Anderson is the best Director now.

If your talking "right now" then surely his recent stuff like The Master, Inherant Vice and Phantom Thread is the issue? Recently picked up the first two on BR and I'm actually partway though The Master and its certainly been good thus far although perhaps not as easy to digest as the earlier stuff although still largely pretty conventional.

Other candiates for best working director for me would be Yorgos Lanthimos, Martin McDonagh, Nicolas Winding Refn and maybe Jonathan Glazer or Abdellatif Kechiche based on their last films.

Martin Scorsese is my favorite living director, and he's still putting out quality work, Wolf of Wall Street and Silence were really good. However, I call him the greatest living director on the strength of his entire 50 year career.

If we're talking about who's making the best films right now I think it's PTA. Here's how I'd rank his films:

There Will Be Blood
Inherent Vice
Phantom Thread
The Master
Hard Eight
Boogie Nights
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia

I actually didn't like Magnolia at all lmao. I like all his other films though.

I also think Chan-wook Park and Denis Villeneuve are up there with the best.

Last edited:
Martin Scorsese is my favorite living director, and he's still putting out quality work, Wolf of Wall Street and Silence were really good. However, I call him the greatest living director on the strength of his entire 50 year career.

If we're about talking who's making the best films right now I agree with PTA. Here's how I'd rank his films:

There Will Be Blood
Inherent Vice
Phantom Thread
The Master
Hard Eight
Boogie Nights
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia

I actually didn't like Magnolia at all lmao. I like all his other films though.

I also think Chan-wook Park and Denis Villenuve are up there with the best.

There's definitely two halves to his career I would say, the second starting with There Will Be Blood. I would tend to agree that Magnolia seemed a little "off" to me in being both quite ambitious and quite conventional, like Ron Howard doing a David Lynch film.

I kind of had Chan-woo Park down as a good "genre" director but The Handmaiden did seem like a step up(admittedly didn't see "I'm a cyborg"), I mean its probably better known on Sherdog for the sex but I think generally its a step up in general craft, interesting to see what he does next.

Last edited:
The Bill character did naturally demand being rather over the top for much of the film though, a scene like the one where he's wrapped in the flag is obviously a lot more subtle than that. The film was very uneven though I'd agree, not sure whether it wanted to be a revenge action film or a biopepic of Bill, would have been far better had it just been the latter IMHO.

Phantom Thread was like looking at a beautiful photograph in every damn scene. The only fail I saw was Inherent Vice. Otherwise he's been brilliant.

Fargo the television series is so much better than any movie nominated for Best Picture this year that I'm not sure I even care enough to debate this, anymore.

So Coen Bros. by Executive Producer submission in Round 3.

Fargo the television series is so much better than any movie nominated for Best Picture this year that I'm not sure I even care enough to debate this, anymore.

Three Billboards for me is actually very strongly Coen influenced I'd say down to the cast and Carter Burrell, I do think it stands out to their best stuff personally as well, Inside Llewyn Davis especially strikes me as very similar in style/quality.

Three Billboards for me is actually very strongly Coen influenced I'd say down to the cast and Carter Burrell, I do think it stands out to their best stuff personally as well, Inside Llewyn Davis especially strikes me as very similar in style/quality.
*Burwell (one of my all-time favorite scorers)

Unsurprisingly, that was my favorite movie from the nominee list. Only one that holds a candle.

One big issue with recent PTA is that he's become pretty harsh to watch dramatically, these aren't films where its easy to empathise with the main characters.

For arty drama I would say perhaps similar to someone like Michael Haneke, if not in style then in tone. I can rate his films highly but also say I have to be in the mood to watch them compared to say someone like Kieslowski who might be highly ambitious but also very easy to watch because he's so big hearted, your never far from a pretty French actress to empathise with.

Scorsese hasn't made a classic film since the 80's (incoming Departed, Goodfellas fanboys).

Spielberg did modern Scorsese better than Scorsese himself in Catch Me If You Can.

Scorsese hasn't made a classic film since the 80's (incoming Departed, Goodfellas fanboys).

Spielberg did modern Scorsese better than Scorsese himself in Catch Me If You Can.

Catch Me if You Can is nothing like a Scorsese film

Goodfellas is his best film. Move along

*Compares There Will Be Blood to Goodfellas*

*Reports OP*

*Blocks OP*

*Leaves thread*

Well There Will Be Blood is a modern masterpiece, that's for sure at least.

There Will Be Blood is a great film, but it’s not a film you can watch all the time. It’s brutal. No need to shit on Goodfellas to make an arguement, it’s a perfect film. As for DDLs best performance, it isn’t Gangs or TWBB. It’s either My Left Foot, In The Name of The Father, or Last of The Mohicans.

Nicolas Winding Refn >>>>>>
{<doc}

poster_onlygodforgives.jpg

{<jordan}

ZZ0F4A9FBB.jpg

bork1}bork1}bork1}bork1}

There Will Be Blood and Magnolia are two of my favorite movies.

Only Fargo season 1. Season 2-3 were both meh.

Fargo Season 1 though is GOAT tv series

Back