Overeem doesn't see Alex Pereira as a champion

Do you see Pereira as a real champ or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your "logic" doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny, which is why you keep moving the goalposts. It's pretty funny.
And where exactly were the goalposts moved, sir?

It's been consistently said he's not on the level of a "true" champ until he actually defends, and defends against a wrestler/grappler.

Just look at the Jan fight. Jan isn't a great wrestler, and would've won the fight had the rules still scored points for lay and pray/control on top without trying to finish the fight, or had Jan not been completely exhausted from the altitude to actually do ANYTHING other than just lay on Alex trying to get energy.

Last edited:
And where exactly were the goalposts moved, sir?

It's been consistently said he's not on the level of a "true" champ until he actually defends, and defends against a wrestler/grappler.

It started with "he hasn't fought a real wrestler". Then you introduced "he has zero title defences". Then you list 3 of the greatest fighters of all time, citing them as examples of "real champions". If they're the benchmark, then no one else is a real champ.

It started with "he hasn't fought a real wrestler". Then you introduced "he has zero title defences".
Either one of those facts validate my opinion. Both aren't even needed

Then you list 3 of the greatest fighters of all time, citing them as examples of "real champions". If they're the benchmark, then no one else is a real champ.
Those are just the first three names I thought of. I can list Izzy, Oliviera, Aljo, Usman, Jan, Cejudo ect too

Either one of those facts validate my opinion. Both aren't even needed

Those are just the first three names I thought of. I can list Izzy, Oliviera, Usman, Jan, Cejudo ect too

Izzy? Jan? The fucking guys who lost to Alex?

I don't think you appreciate just how funny you are. Goodnight, sir.

All of Alex's top wins have been pretty dicey, so I can see the Reem's point

Got smashed by Izzy before winning in the last minute of round 5

Very arguable decision against Jan

Early stoppage against Jiri

He hasn't really had that championship level performance that makes him stand out as the best, though he has won two titles.

Alistair's has a point, once a fighter has been worked out the blue print has been set.

Every single opponent Alex has beaten in the UFC has taken him down...

Periera is just the ninth fighter in UFC history to win belts in two different weight classes and he achieved the rare feat much quicker than anyone else.
The 36-year-old needed just 11 MMA fights to reach the sport's pinnacle.

Overeem, who switched between kickboxing and MMA during his Hall of Fame career, is surprisingly not overly impressed by what Pereira has achieved in MMA since fully switching sports.

“He’s interesting,” Overeem told talkSPORT.com, “Do I see him as a champion? No."

“I think, at this moment, they have difficulty figuring him out, but the moment they figure him out they are going to destroy him, and that will be a tough time for him.”

Overeem believes Pereira’s lack of ground skills will soon be exposed.

“I think he’s excellent in the striking department, but his jiu-jitsu and his grappling is not there. He’s so good in the striking department other fighters are unable to take him down. The moment
they figure it out, striking-wise, it’ll be difficult for him.”

Source: https://talksport.com/sport/1656889/alistair-overeem-shocking-assessment-ufc-champion-alex-pereira/

Sounds like bitter salt from a guy who could never be what Alex actually became: a Champion.

Oh, sorry, that's right, Alex became A DUAL CHAMPION.

Hey Allister, would you like some cheese with that whine?

Alex arrived earlier to acclimate, but regardless, while on top Jan didn't have the energy to do anything, something he wouldn't have a problem with if he was better acclimated. See his fight against Adesanya for reference.

Alex has had more favorable matchmaking than even McGregor had on his run to becoming double champ, and Overeem can see this.
Alex has best more champions than Izzy, stop with this bullshit

Didn’t realize Overeem was the oversee-er of Champion-ness

He's not wrong. Reem evolved and learned the ground game. I'm sure Alex is working on the ground game but imagine if he got really good at BJJ. He'd be pretty much unstoppable.

At least Alex has touched UFC gold. Something Overeem never did despite eating a few Clydesdales.

Izzy? Jan? The fucking guys who lost to Alex?

I don't think you appreciate just how funny you are. Goodnight, sir.
You serious? Lol

Yes Izzy and Jan.

Alex is 1-1 against Izzy, but that's irrelevant here. Izzy has defended his belt and has basically cleaned out the division, including against very good grapplers. Izzy was a favorable matchup because he doesn't have offensive wrestling whatsoever, except that one time where he took Alex down and controlled him for 4 mins before Alex was saved by the end of the round.

When Alex fought 40 year old Jan, he was easily taken down in the 1st round and controlled before Jan was unable to use as much wrestling because he wasn't acclimated as much as Alex was, since Alex was smart enough to go to Salt lake a lot earlier. Even then, Jan still took him down and controlled him but didn't have the energy to work from the top. Under the rules of just a couple of years ago, that's a clear win for Jan, but under the new rules, Alex barely gets the win. Jan just didn't have to energy he usually does to work from the top like he did against Izzy, otherwise it's a clear win for Jan. Jan was also doing a lot better on the feet than most give him credit for, despite being completely gassed for 2/3 of the fight.

Last edited:
Not even Uber version could withstand the power of Poatan.
Could KO him, could KO any and everyone... but never withstand that power.
Ubereem vs Poatan? Still got Poatan. Dude would easily weigh in at 240, lean, without trying to bulk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back