Media “Alex Pereira’s power doesn’t translate to 205 lbs” ~ Well, watch this:

Who’s going to win?

• Total voters

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For some reason I’ve been hearing this a lot lately, that “Alex Pereira’s knockout-power doesn’t translate to LHW” because he wasn’t able to KO Jan Błachowicz.
I absolutely disagree. Jan was close to getting finished in the 2nd, but he just has a tremendous chin/heart and on top of that Alex maybe was a bit cautious to open up like he normally does.

This right here is proof Poatan definitely carries his power over to the light-heavyweight division, out-cold:

That was the night Poatan became GLORY interim LHW champion of the world, by knocking out Donegi Abena.
Abena is the current GLORY light-heavyweight champion and only got knocked out once prior to this fight (all the way back in 2016 against a much bigger Jairzinho Rozenstruik when Donegi was very green and only 18-years-old).
… Alex Pereira has the power to knock anyone’s lights off at 205lbs.

Donegi Abena joined Ciryl Gane’s camp to prepare him to fight Francis Ngannou, he’s as legit as they come, and Pereira knocked him TF out with a left hook:

I love Jiří, but Poatan inside 3 rounds:cool:

Donegi Abena didn’t only get knocked out by Alex Pereira, Sherbro Maurits also did some bad things to him:D

upload_2023-2-11_20-48-54-jpeg.967962

Tomorrow, the Surinamese is defending his LHW-title at GLORY Collision 6, against the 22-years-old undefeated Moroccan Mohamed Touchassie:

Will he get left-hooked again?:)

Anyone saying he doesnt have power at any weight class is litterally retarded lol ...

Jan is hard to K.O... he has a cinder block for a head doesn't mean Alex doesnt have power...

Jiri is very hittable and absolute nut in there this will be a nuts fight for however long it lasts...id be shocked if it goes 5 rounds..jaw to the floor shocked

For some reason I’ve been hearing this a lot lately, that “Alex Pereira’s knockout-power doesn’t translate to LHW” because he wasn’t able to KO Jan Błachowicz.
I absolutely disagree. Jan was close to getting finished in the 2nd, but he just has a tremendous chin/heart and on top of that Alex maybe was a bit cautious to open up like he normally does.

This right here is proof Poatan definitely carries his power over to the light-heavyweight division, out-cold:

That was the night Poatan became GLORY interim LHW champion of the world, by knocking out Donegi Abena.
Abena is the current GLORY light-heavyweight champion and only got knocked out once prior to this fight (all the way back in 2016 against a much bigger Jairzinho Rozenstruik when Donegi was very green and only 18-years-old).

Donegi Abena joined Ciryl Gane’s camp to prepare him to fight Francis Ngannou, he’s as legit as they come, and Pereira knocked him TF out with a left hook:

Alex's power is unreal, I see Alex countering Jiri for the win.

People talk about power "not translating" to a different weight class like some video game standard.

Most male fighters on the MW to HW spectrum have similar bone and muscle mass.

Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Anthony Johnson, Rashad Evans, Fedor Emelianenko, Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson, Daniel Cormier, etc Most of these guys have gone up and down along this weight range, knocking out opponents from on-paper higher weight classes but otherwise similar in size. As long as we aren't talking about the extremes of the MW-HW spectrum I don't think there is a dramatic power imbalance between any two guys in it.

Is that really a thing? People are really saying he has no power anymore bc he didn't ko jan? I swear people are more retarded by the day. Jan only has 1 legit tko loss and it's a tko not ko and dude took a full on shit from thiago Santos while charging at him and didn't go out cold.
ff106c10d97478ade326854753e8dfdb0e7e2374.gif

Pereira's standup credentials cannot be questioned and has fought both weight classes -

So, is he as intimidating due to his size at LHW, no.
(yes, still a force to be reckoned with - just bigger fighters with more punching power, who are used to bigger hitters at LHW)

Last edited:

Good post.

Poatan had three reasons to be a little cautious:
  1. Altitude, which could sap his strength;
  2. First time fighting @ LHW, in the UFC, against a former Champion;
  3. His previous fight, with Adesanya, he was murdering Israel — and got caught getting careless.
I think all of these added up to a bit more caution in Pereira for the Błachowicz fight.

However, as you observed, Pereira was eating his ass up in the second round (almost got the KO) — and was about to do it again and the third — which turned Błachowicz into a panic wrestler.

I think Pereira is better off as a 5-round fighter.

He has the ability to end things early, but he really starts to shine after the third round.

Anyone who thinks that *cough Chael Sonnen, is being moronic. You can't judge it based off of 1 single fight. Besides, Jan isn't easy to KO, Alex was also fighting tactically when he had Jan hurt. There's video evidence of Alex KOing guys with boxing gloves at LHW ffs.

I imagine a much less dehydrated Alex will have significantly more power at 205. Sure the chins will be better on bigger men, but the gain in power should more than make it even.

He crumpled from getting hit by Adesanya, who isn’t known for his power. Jiri is bigger and is known for his.

Thiago Santos is the only one whos legit knocked out Jan and it was a boring staring contest till Jan lunged in and got countered. Other TKO loss was an injury.

Jan has great defense, great chin and alotta heart. Hes been in there w/ Latifi, Soko, Houston, Gus, Corey, Cannonier, Manuwa, Krylov, Glover, Reyes, Rakic, Ankalaev.... That is a murderers row of KO artists and he wasnt even dropped in any of those fights besides Santos.

Is that really a thing? People are really saying he has no power anymore bc he didn't ko jan? I swear people are more retarded by the day. Jan only has 1 legit tko loss and it's a tko not ko and dude took a full on shit from thiago Santos while charging at him and didn't go out cold.
ff106c10d97478ade326854753e8dfdb0e7e2374.gif

Herb with the early stoppage. Dude was just landing arm and hand strikes.

He crumpled from getting hit by Adesanya, who isn’t known for his power. Jiri is bigger and is known for his.
Dehydration. It's an established fact that being more dehydrated makes you more prone to being knocked out and to getting concussions.

Cutting less weight at 205 will improve his chin, and that's a fact.

Back