Alex Pereira Not Moving Up to HW Anytime Soon - Wants to Defend LHW Belt

Wormwood

Rest in Peace BWR
@Black
Reaction score
There has been speculation if Alex Pereira would be moving up to fight Tom for the HW belt for UFC 300. Alex addressed the speculation stating though he would consider fighting at HW eventually, but for now he is focused on defending the LHW belt.

“I fought at middleweight, and I had to reset my body to go up to fighting at light heavyweight,” Pereira said. “I’m a fighter. I’ll fight anybody, anywhere. I have the height and the size of a heavyweight, but this is a thing that’s got to be programmed, put some work in. It’s not just something I jump in on. I want to make things the right way. I can definitely fight at heavyweight, maybe some day in the future. But it’s got to be something that’s well planned. So right now I’m focused on my light heavyweight reign.”

So nope, no fight with Aspinall in the near future. I, for one, am glad Alex isn’t looking to jump up anytime soon. Seems like the recent trend among champions is to win the belt and call out the champion from a different weight class without even defending the belt in their respective division.

full article:

There has been speculation if Alex Pereira would be moving up to fight Tom for the HW belt for UFC 300. Alex addressed the speculation stating though he would consider fighting at HW eventually, but for now he is focused on defending the LHW belt.

“I fought at middleweight, and I had to reset my body to go up to fighting at light heavyweight,” Pereira said. “I’m a fighter. I’ll fight anybody, anywhere. I have the height and the size of a heavyweight, but this is a thing that’s got to be programmed, put some work in. It’s not just something I jump in on. I want to make things the right way. I can definitely fight at heavyweight, maybe some day in the future. But it’s got to be something that’s well planned. So right now I’m focused on my light heavyweight reign.”

So nope, no fight with Aspinall in the near future. I, for one, am glad Alex isn’t looking to jump up anytime soon. Seems like the recent trend among champions is to win the belt and call out the champion from a different weight class without even defending the belt in their respective division.

full article:

Such a sober, honest, and realistic Champion and fighter.

I don't see how anyone isn't a fan of Alex Pereira.

Only a ghey Izzy lover could hate this dude.

As real as they get.

It didn't take CC long to learn the guard and TD defense; he had a natural ability to defend TDs with his giant legs. You can see in the Fedor fight how strong his guard was.

If Alex can learn that as well as CC, he can dominate. Without that, I don't see him going far from here, as he will sooner or later have to face a great grappler, which will be his moment of truth.

I would love it if an exciting striker was a defending champ, and really hope he learns the grappling game. If not, he is unlikely to ever make it to HW.

I'm not convinced he has that yet, but some fighters are surprising- Leon came back with amazing hand fighting to beat Usman in the second fight.

It didn't take CC long to learn the guard and TD defense; he had a natural ability to defend TDs with his giant legs. You can see in the Fedor fight how strong his guard was.

If Alex can learn that as well as CC, he can dominate. Without that, I don't see him going far from here, as he will sooner or later have to face a great grappler, which will be his moment of truth.

I would love it if an exciting striker was a defending champ, and really hope he learns the grappling game. If not, he is unlikely to ever make it to HW.

I'm not convinced he has that yet, but some fighters are surprising- Leon came back with amazing hand fighting to beat Usman in the second fight.

He's definitely progressing, but you're 100% right sir.
He needs good TDD to further his career.

As real as they get.
My only problem with him is, as he says himself - "I have the height and the size of a heavyweight". I simply can not be that impressed with a guy that has only fought people that are significantly smaller than him.

Let him have a few more LHW fights, where he at least doesnt dwarf his opponents, and I'll start respecting him. Until then, all I am impressed with is how good he is at weightcutting.

As real as they get.
Ohhh the irony of you implying anyone is a homosexual because of who they like lol now is your chance to have your hopes and dreams of going down on Poatan come to fruition! Take your shot while you can!

No heavyweight can take that final form calf kick / left hook of doom

200w.gif

That's how it should be to all champions. Tired of the champion vs champion match ups. It's lost what actually made it special.

It's what he needs to do. With a champ, and an interim, we don't need a lower weight champ coming up and making it even more muddled. It used to be an awesome thing when someone would attempt to go for 2 belts, but they had to have cleaned out their division first. Now, every time someone wins a belt, the first question asked is "are you going up or down for another?"

My only problem with him is, as he says himself - "I have the height and the size of a heavyweight". I simply can not be that impressed with a guy that has only fought people that are significantly smaller than him.

Let him have a few more LHW fights, where he at least doesnt dwarf his opponents, and I'll start respecting him. Until then, all I am impressed with is how good he is at weightcutting.
He’s the LHW champ and beat Jan and Jiri. You just sound like a hater.

He’s the LHW champ and beat Jan and Jiri. You just sound like a hater.
Yeah, I am a little bit of a hater. Not so much I can't be turned around though. Right now, I am not convinced he is all that. Jan was a great fighter, but he has not won since 2021 - unless you count the acl tear on Rakic. Jiri was out with injury for a year and got surgery. Not fantastic wins, but solid. A few more wins, and I will start respecting him.

Yeah, I am a little bit of a hater. Not so much I can't be turned around though. Right now, I am not convinced he is all that. Jan was a great fighter, but he has not won since 2021 - unless you count the acl tear on Rakic. Jiri was out with injury for a year and got surgery. Not fantastic wins, but solid. A few more wins, and I will start respecting him.
While I don’t agree with everything your saying, I do respect your viewpoint sherbro.

<RomeroSalute>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back