Overeem doesn't see Alex Pereira as a champion

Do you see Pereira as a real champ or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Periera is just the ninth fighter in UFC history to win belts in two different weight classes and he achieved the rare feat much quicker than anyone else.
The 36-year-old needed just 11 MMA fights to reach the sport's pinnacle.

Overeem, who switched between kickboxing and MMA during his Hall of Fame career, is surprisingly not overly impressed by what Pereira has achieved in MMA since fully switching sports.

“He’s interesting,” Overeem told talkSPORT.com, “Do I see him as a champion? No."

“I think, at this moment, they have difficulty figuring him out, but the moment they figure him out they are going to destroy him, and that will be a tough time for him.”

Overeem believes Pereira’s lack of ground skills will soon be exposed.

“I think he’s excellent in the striking department, but his jiu-jitsu and his grappling is not there. He’s so good in the striking department other fighters are unable to take him down. The moment
they figure it out, striking-wise, it’ll be difficult for him.”

Source: https://talksport.com/sport/1656889/alistair-overeem-shocking-assessment-ufc-champion-alex-pereira/
So beating the champ doesn’t make you the champ? Interesting take but I call BS.

The only thing imaginary is people pretending he doesn't have bad TDD like a Condit, Holland ect, and hasn't been gifted favorable matchups to become "champion".

Overeem only sees complete fighters as true champs, so who are we to argue?
The person that has the belt is the Champion; who is Overeem to say otherwise?

ironic words coming from a couch pro.

If you think this forum exists for professional fighters to talk about MMA, you may actually be too stupid to belong here, and that is saying a lot.

Cheers autist of the day!

There the opposite really, Reem had a well rounded skill set but lacked toughness, Alex has some holes in his grappling but doesnt fold when he's on his back.

Always a fan of Reem but I don't think he was ever a "true champ", he never had the extreme physical and/or mental toughness the true greats do, on the night he could beat anyone but could never see him going on a long undefeated run vs quality opponents like Alex did in Glory.

Reactions: mkt
I initially thought he’d get figured out on the ground too but he’s exceeded my expectations through all his grappling challenges so far. Seems like his hard work in mma training is paying off.

i see him as the champion since his victories in title fights were legit against legit opponent ( seeing jiri vacated the title and never lost it in the first place) but there is no denying that he got an esay road and favorable match up to get there just because his rivality with adesanya was a selling point
He beat Strickland, Adesanya, Blachowic and Jiri. All champions.

i see him as the champion since his victories in title fights were legit against legit opponent ( seeing jiri vacated the title and never lost it in the first place) but there is no denying that he got an esay road and favorable match up to get there just because his rivality with adesanya was a selling point

At 185 he got a bit of an easy road to the title, but at 205 he had to beat Blachowicz who is the toughest style matchup for him in that division. Jan is super well rounded with a legit ground game, Alex managed to win a close decision and then got his title shot due to Jamahal pulling out with an injury.

Reactions: mkt
The only thing imaginary is people pretending he doesn't have bad TDD like a Condit, Holland ect, and hasn't been gifted favorable matchups to become "champion".

Overeem only sees complete fighters as true champs, so who are we to argue?

Who is pretending that?

SuperNerd.
Plutonium belt.
Sherdog.

You can talk shit about his "easy path" all you like, but at the end of the day, he still had to beat the champions. And he did.

Who is pretending that?
Everybody who says he's a true champ, because similar to Condit and Holland, he'll just get ragdolled to the ground while only having a punchers chance against a great wrestler.

Like it's not just imaginary to believe if Askren can't get the fight to the ground against a striker, he'll lose.

Facts are facts

<WhatItIs>

Everybody who says he's a true champ, because similar to Condit and Holland, he'll just get ragdolled to the ground while only having a punchers chance against a great wrestler.

Like it's not imaginary to believe if Askren can't get the fight to the ground against a striker, he'll lose.

Facts are facts

<WhatItIs>

Facts say you are wrong. He is literally a two division champ. Thankfully, your views don't matter.

Horse meat is just jealous, he has the belt so he is the champion, end of story.
Yep. I don't know if Alex was totally PED-free in his kickboxing days, but he didn't abuse them like Overeem and so far hasn't failed any UFC tests. Overeem literally went from a LHW to a guy who cut from 280 and had more muscle mass than Brock Lesnar. He abused PEDs and took advantage of no testing in Japan like no one else.

Facts say you are wrong. He is literally a two division champ. Thankfully, your views don't matter.
With literally zero defenses, and against zero great wrestlers. There are plenty of fighters like Overeem who share these views. He's a champion who won the belt, but not yet a true champion who's not only defended, but proven himself against all styles, which is what Overeem is saying.

With literally zero defenses, and against zero great wrestlers. There are plenty of fighters like Overeem who share these views. He's a champion who won the belt, but not yet a true champion, which is what Overeem is saying.

Your argument is that he isn't a real champion because there are other guys he hasn't fought who might beat him. Which applies to every champion in every division, ever.

And just because a fighter has an opinion, doesn't make it correct. A lot of fighters are high functioning retards who have endured years of head trauma.

Your argument is that he isn't a real champion because there are other guys he hasn't fought who might beat him. Which applies to every champion in every division, ever.
GSP, Jones, Aldo ect beat all styles, multiple times over fighting top contender after top contender. Those are true champs, not the Kickboxer with zero defenses, who's gone up against zero great grapplers/wrestlers.

I dont agree with Reems logic here.
theres plenty of footage to see how Alex works his game. Its been similar for a while.
hes just improving his ground skills as this point. can a very a good rassler punish him? Well yeah OFC, as with any kickboxer

GSP, Jones, Aldo ect beat all styles, multiple times over fighting top contenders. Those are true champs. Not the Kickboxer with zero defenses, who's gone up against zero great grapplers/wrestlers.

Your "logic" doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny, which is why you keep moving the goalposts. It's pretty funny.

I mean, Overeem is obviously jealous, given Alex, a fellow kickboxer, has completely outshone him.

I'm not sure what your problem is, though.

I am an UbeReem fan, but he’s wrong about this one

He beat the former champ and #1 contender in Jan, then he beat the champion that didn't lose his belt, Jiri was the last champ that won the title from someone who didn't vacate it. I would say it's a legit of a champion as it gets.

Back