One of the First Women in the Infantry Will Be Discharged From the Marines

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Well its starting. Every single Marine called this the second the government said it was putting women into combat arms. I know this is just one incident but I can assure you the break down in morale and discipline is going to continue. Imagine what Chesty would think if he were alive to see this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/...ge-.html?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

WASHINGTON — One of the first women to enter the Marine Corps infantry is being discharged from the service after admitting to having an intimate relationship with a subordinate — a fellow Marine she eventually married.

On their own, the legal charges against Cpl. Remedios Cruz, 26, are not uncommon in military investigations of American troops. But they highlight the struggle the Marine Corps has had in integrating women into jobs that were only open to men before 2015.

“The biggest mistakes I’ve made in the infantry were from my personal relationships,” Corporal Cruz said in an interview. “I really want to move on.”

As part of a deal to avoid going to trial, Corporal Cruz pleaded guilty to fraternization in July and decided to put the Marine Corps behind her. She is awaiting her final separation from the Marines.

But her battalion commander, Lt. Col. Anthony C. Johnston, recommended that all three charges go to trial — giving her the choice of going to court and risking conviction, or admit to fraternization as part of a broader plea agreement.

Mike Berry, a reservist Marine Corps judge advocate, said it was rare for a commander to recommend a court-martial after a pretrial hearing had already concluded that there was no probable cause for multiple charges.

Over the years fraternization policies in the American military have changed but broadly prohibit “unduly familiar” relationships among service members of differing ranks.

After pleading guilty to the fraternization charge, Corporal Cruz was reduced in rank from sergeant to corporal and restricted to the base. She may also leave the Marine Corps with an other-than-honorable discharge, meaning she could be stripped of almost all Veterans Affairs benefits and jeopardize future employment in the civilian sector.

Corporal Cruz’s lawyer, Capt. Jacob R. Johnston, said the commanding general of the Second Marine Division will decide if she receives an honorable discharge. Her separation from the Marine Corps is still being processed, said Maj. Robert E. Shuford, a spokesman for the Second Marine Expeditionary Force.

“Regardless of the outcome of this case, Corporal Cruz has been a courageous pioneer for women in the military and she has earned a place in Marine Corps history,” Captain Johnston said in a statement.

Of the roughly 184,000 active-duty Marines, around 15,800 are women. As of July, 24 women were serving in infantry billets in the Marine Corps, according to military documents obtained by The New York Times.

The Army, with roughly 740 women who are serving in previously restricted combat roles, has encountered its own issues with integrating women into the jobs. Last week, the Army Times reported an investigationof a relationship between a senior noncommissioned officer and a junior female infantry soldier in the same unit.

Corporal Cruz, of Fleischmanns, N.Y., joined the Marines as a supply clerk in 2013 and completed infantry training in 2014. Two years later, she requested to transfer to an infantry unit after then-Secretary of Defense Ash Carter ordered that women be allowed in all previously restricted combat roles. The Marine Corps vehemently opposed the change.

“I had a taste of what it was like to train to fight,” Corporal Cruz said. “And I felt like if I was going to say that I served my country, I wanted to be able to just do that — but not on the sidelines.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Days after she arrived at the battalion in January 2017, she was promoted to sergeant — a rank that probably ensured, as a Marine in an infantry platoon, that she would be considered for a leadership role.

She said she began a relationship with a lower-ranking Marine in her unit and married him shortly before the battalion deployed to Japan in August 2017. Not until she was overseas did senior commanders become aware of the relationship, and opened an investigation.

The investigating officer eventually found that “appropriate administrative or disciplinary” action was warranted, leaving the chain of command to decide whether to issue any punishment.

Mr. Berry, the Marine Corps lawyer, said that fraternization within the ranks is often heard about but rarely punished by court-martial.

Her battalion commander at the time, Lt. Col. Reginald McClam sought to punish Corporal Cruz for creating an “environment which compromised her professional reputation and ultimately the good order and discipline of the unit,” he wrote in his recommendation after the initial investigation.

Both the commanding officer of the Fourth Marine Regiment and the commanding general of the Third Marine division — two senior officers above Colonel McClam while his battalion was deployed to Okinawa — recommended no disciplinary action.

Despite the Pentagon’s directives on women in previously restricted combat roles, Colonel McClam wrote in his letter that “specific guidance on standards of conduct governing integrated infantry battalions is necessary, as this was, in hindsight, perhaps taken for granted.”

Col. Kevin A. Norton, then the commanding officer of the Fourth Marine Regiment, suggested counseling instead of court-martialing.

In his own recommendation, Colonel Norton wrote that from an “institutional point of view, we did not set up Sgt. Cruz for success” and said the fraternization was the result of an “inadequate knowledge of and guidance to young Marines from the battalion chain of command.”
This is another incident that makes clearer how this can create a toxic environment for the people around you.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...ffair-with-female-infantry-private-army-says/

Critics said it was bound to happen, and, sure enough, it did.

A company first sergeant began an affair with one of the first women to graduate from infantry basic training shortly after she reported to his newly integrated unit late last year. Both have been punished for it.

Sgt. 1st Class Chase Usher, who had been serving as the top noncommissioned officer of B Company, 2nd Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, has been removed from his position leading soldiers and is serving in a staff role, an 82nd Airborne spokesman told Army Times on Tuesday.

“Disciplinary action deemed appropriate by the chain of command was taken against both individuals and has been completed,” Lt. Col. Ramon Osorio, the division spokesman, said. “Both continue to serve within the division, however, the first sergeant was relieved of his position and currently serves on the staff of a different unit.”

The Army declined to disclose the recommendations of a 15-6 investigation into the affair, initiated in January, and would not specify the punishments Usher and the woman received.

By all accounts, an investigation into the affair found, Usher was a high-speed infantryman and the relationship didn’t cause any questions of favoritism in the unit, though the rumors about the two caused a lot of doubt among the soldiers he was meant to lead.

Army Times obtained a redacted copy of the investigation via a Freedom of Information Act request.

“He didn’t foster a hostile environment to females at work, but was a horny bastard when it came to his personal life,” one soldier said in a sworn statement. "He often preached to us to look out for females in our ranks and not get into trouble with them and not have relationships with them. All the while, he was doing all of this.”

Usher did not respond to multiple requests for comment through email and Facebook.

ZK2GXI7IRZGBFDCAGWV2LCH3LQ.jpg

Paratroopers with 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, prepare to land at a training area near Rukla, Lithuania, June 9. The brigade was one of the first in the Army to accept female infantrymen in 2017. (Army)
Junior enlisted women first reported to the 82nd’s infantry units in late summer 2017, the final step in a “Leaders First” plan the Army rolled out as the Defense Department lifted the last restrictions on women serving in direct-combat jobs in early 2016.

First came the officers ― including Capts. Shaye Haver and Kristen Griest, the first two women to complete the Army’s storied Ranger school ― and then the NCOs. By early 2017, female recruits had checked in at Fort Benning, Georgia’s infantry and armor one-station unit training.

Following their graduation in May, that first group of 18 enlisted women headed either to the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, or after finishing jump school at Fort Benning, to the 82nd.

The woman in question got there in August, according to the report. Dozens of soldiers in the company were aware of her September-October relationship with Usher, either because he had talked about it, they’d seen the two in public together or they’d heard through the rumor mill.

The “friends with benefits” situation was over before the new year, but in January, a representative from the website U.S. Army W.T.F.! Moments reached out to 82nd’s leadership with a photo of the two canoodling outside Paddy’s Irish pub in Fayetteville, according to the investigation.

The photo had already made the battalion rounds, thanks to a group text message.

‘Good at job, terrible morals’

Witnesses included three women, who all agreed that Usher treated them as equals in the company.

“In a work environment he treats both fairly from what I can tell,” one soldier said in a statement.

Usher had personally led the training to prepare the unit to bring in women, and further, he had recommended three of his female soldiers for the Small Unit Ranger Tactics course, a common precursor to Ranger school.

“In regards to the command climate, there does not appear to be a climate that fosters sexual harassment or maltreatment of paratroopers," the investigator found. "Despite this impression, it must be noted that [Usher] has allegedly made several inappropriate sexual comments that can form the basis of a hostile work environment complaint.”

The investigator found graphic details of his relationship with the private, as well as the rest of his personal life.

“He told me about a woman he got pregnant on Tinder and paid her to go away,” one soldier said.

A female platoon sergeant said Usher told a group of her colleagues that he was going to be Thor for Halloween, but wouldn’t need to carry a hammer ― because he already had a comparable tool in his pants, according to the investigation.

“At multiple safety briefs, [redacted] encourages the company to ‘get [laid]’ or comments that he will be doing so over the weekend; after a company run or before a company rehearsal he has bragged about ‘getting some’ that morning," a soldier said.

Overall, the investigator found that while Usher did not specifically harass junior enlisted personnel, and his relationship with the private was consensual, the rumors about their relationship had a “corrosive” effect on the unit, because of a perception that she was his favorite.

18 women graduate from the Army's first gender-integrated infantry basic training
Eighteen of the 32 women who reported to infantry one station unit training in February have earned their blue cords and will soon be joining the rest of the force as the Army's first junior enlisted female infantrymen.

By: Meghann Myers
‘Tarnished the integration’

Usher denied the relationship, as well as any past incidents of inappropriate behavior, in his sworn statement.

Though the 82nd Airborne declined to provide details of the punishments handed down, Usher is no longer in a position of authority over a unit.

His future in the Army is unclear, though a substantiated misconduct investigation could prevent him from re-enlisting.

But in the bigger picture, the case is also the first instance of an inappropriate relationship between a female infantryman and a member of her leadership to go public.

This staff sergeant is the first enlisted woman to earn a Ranger tab, and she’s not in combat arms
An enlisted female soldier has earned a Ranger tab.

By: Meghann Myers
“By their actions Usher and [redacted] tarnished the integration of female infantrymen into maneuver battalions,” the investigating officer wrote in the report. “Their actions could be detrimental to the image of female integration into combat arms units.”

Women continue to join front-line combat units, as positions opened up in the 101st Airborne Division, 4th Infantry Division, 1st Armored Division and 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team in 2018.

“This behavior does not exemplify the dedicated professionals of the 82nd Airborne Division," Osorio said, adding that the division is committed to fostering trust and respect as the Army works through gender integration.

Last edited:
Oh please, grown adults let them fuck each other if they want.

Do you want to be in a unit where the pilot is sleeping with the crew chiefs wife? Are you going to feel safe flying in that helicopter?

Pretty sure this happens in non-infantry units all the time.

Do you want to be in a unit where the pilot is sleeping with the crew chiefs wife? Are you going to feel safe flying in that helicopter?
Is it more or less safe than the helicopter whose pilot just found out his civilian wife back home was cheating on him / filing for divorce?

Its outlawed because of the difference in rank. They don't want to create an atmosphere were someone feels he/she is being ordered to have sex.

The few. The proud. The hot.

Semper fuck

Wood dive in her foxhole

Wood discharge

I love the smell of pussy in the morning

Ok that’s all I got

Is it more or less safe than the helicopter whose pilot just found out his civilian wife back home was cheating on him / filing for divorce?

Less since the pilot's chopper isn't being maintained by the person's wife he is having a affair with.

Isnt that how the whole swinger thing started?

Also shame on you for not including pics.

502B836000000578-6168075-image-m-8_1536931451140.jpg

Last edited:

Some of the best military units in ancient history were comprised of lovers.

Alexander's companions are a notable example, including Alexander himself most likely.

Last edited:
Least surprising shit ever. It’s extremely obvious that women should not be serving in combat units like the infantry for many reasons, but hey, what do I know? I’ve only served in and commanded combat units for the last decade.

Less since the pilot's chopper isn't being maintained by the person's wife he is having a affair with.
{<huh}
Are you trying to say that people who have affairs are bad at maintaining helicopters?

Well its starting. Every single Marine called this the second the government said it was putting women into combat arms. I know this is just one incident but I can assure you the break down in morale and discipline is going to continue. Imagine what Chesty would think if he were alive to see this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/...ge-.html?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

You must not know much about the military. This shit happens in every branch, every MOS/AFSC, every unit..... People fuck and that's about all there is to it.

Least surprising shit ever. It’s extremely obvious that women should not be serving in combat units like the infantry for many reasons, but hey, what do I know? I’ve only served in and commanded combat units for the last decade.

what would you think about having all female units for those who meet qualifications?

of course, segregating them would probably start a political shit storm.

You must not know much about the military. This shit happens in every branch, every MOS/AFSC, every unit..... People fuck and that's about all there is to it.

I was in a Marine tank unit and surprisingly it never happened since you know we were all guys.

I am going to assume you are intentionally ignoring my point.
Nah, not in this case. I really don't understand what your implication is:
I think your original point was that people who are having an affair are in a bad mindset for combat. I countered with the fact that people who are being cheated on long-distance or getting divorced long-distance (both of which do actually happen pretty frequently for combat deployed soldiers) have a bad mindset for combat as well. I really and truly don't get your second point.

Back