ONE Championship ban use of soccer kicks in fights

soccer kicks are the best way possible to finish a fight after you've knocked a guy down, most times. This is sanctioned fighting and soccer kicks are a huge, huge part of fighting...I've only been in 2 real fights in my life, once i got soccer kicked and once I soccer kicked a guy.

Most of the great martial artists of the modern era (you name them, fedor, sakuraba, anderson silva, jose aldo, crocop etc etc) have had no issues beating guys up with soccer kicks.

The only reason I could see someone being in favour of outlawing soccer kicks is when they have a financial investment in the sport of MMA, because soccer kicks could put a lot of the general public off from watching. Other than that? you are probably being selectively squeamish. Maybe due to your culture or something.

That's a shame...soccer kicks were one thing that set One apart from other generic orgs.

My point is if you want a fight with no restrictions, go watch bum fights. MMA is a sport.

You sound like a troll or some sort of "Unified Rules shill"...still trying to figure out which. I'm guessing you don't like oblique kicks to the knee either because they look "scary."

You also sound like you only watch the UFC, which makes me wonder why you're posting in the Worldwide MMA subforum.

That's a shame...soccer kicks were one thing that set One apart from other generic orgs.

You sound like a troll or some sort of "Unified Rules shill"...still trying to figure out which. I'm guessing you don't like oblique kicks to the knee either because they look "scary."

You also sound like you only watch the UFC, which makes me wonder why you're posting in the Worldwide MMA subforum.
You sound like an idiot. You should check my post history before spouting off like the idiot you sound like.

They are running a business and if they think taking out soccer kicks will help them with blue chip sponsors and better TV deals, the Singapore government obviously think so.

You have to remember they changed their name from One FC to One Championship because Fighting was in the name.

ONE Championship has banned the suplex. I found this thread while looking for their official ruleset to see if that rule was actually in print somewhere. Today they DQ'ed a fighter that won via suplex yesterday.

ONE Championship has banned the suplex. I found this thread while looking for their official ruleset to see if that rule was actually in print somewhere. Today they DQ'ed a fighter that won via suplex yesterday.
Damn. That's terrible if true. You got a source for the change of the result? I could not find anything

Sigh. The realities of a growing promotion.

I don't think that the suplex itself was the issue, I think the question the officials discussed in the cage after the KO was that fighters are not allowed to spike an opponent on their head. The commentators mentioned that Catalan's hand touched the mat to brace his fall first so it was considered okay and Kongsrichai was announced as the winner by KO officially after the bout. Sherdog & Tapology still show Kongsrichai's win over Robin Catalan as a TKO victory today and I see nothing on One's Twitter saying differently. Where do you see an update that the result was changed?

What complete horseshit, their golden boy Christian Lee just won by slam KO recently. ONE sucks for this

I don't think that the suplex itself was the issue, I think the question the officials discussed in the cage after the KO was that fighters are not allowed to spike an opponent on their head. The commentators mentioned that Catalan's hand touched the mat to brace his fall first so it was considered okay and Kongsrichai was announced as the winner by KO officially after the bout. Sherdog & Tapology still show Kongsrichai's win over Robin Catalan as a TKO victory today and I see nothing on One's Twitter saying differently. Where do you see an update that the result was changed?

Chatri is a partial owner of ONE Championship. "At ONE Championship, all variations of suplexes are illegal and any attempt or intent results in an automatic disqualification."

He made it clear in his post "ALL" not just spikes. The suplexes in the UFC that are head spikes are not DQs.
upload_2018-3-25_14-48-59.png

Last edited:
That's a joke. So they went from having one of the best rulesets for a cage to having one of the worst

If your sport fails because of dirty moves like soccer kicks, its not worthy of success in the first place.

Chatri is a partial owner of ONE Championship. "At ONE Championship, all variations of suplexes are illegal and any attempt or intent results in an automatic disqualification."

He made it clear in his post "ALL" not just spikes. The suplexes in the UFC that are head spikes are not DQs.
Wow, I only checked One's official Twitter, not the owner's Facebook. That is a weird rule seemingly just made up, and changed result has not yet been amended on Sherdog or Tapology or Wikipedia for that matter.

Wow, I only checked One's official Twitter, not the owner's Facebook. That is a weird rule seemingly just made up, and changed result has not yet been amended on Sherdog or Tapology or Wikipedia for that matter.
The fact that it is ONLY on the owner's twitter makes it worse. The only way I found out about it was because somebody retweeted a screenshot.

View attachment 359519

This is #1 bullshit

Wait, what? I can't find anything official so I have no idea if this is legit or not. It was strange that that was the only fight they didn't put up on their facebook account despite it having a crazy ending.

If so, that's terrible that 1) they make that rule in the first place and 2) that NO ONE knew - not the commentators, not the referee - which begs the questions, did the fighters even know?

@Setsuna
Not sure why I couldn't quote ur post but according to Chatri, yes they know.
I found his fb post, there is a reply from Ray Elbe (cyborgs bf) that reads as follows:

Elbe:
Weak! that suplex should be legal. a NC is one thing but not a DQ win...it had an arch and wasn’t a spike. Randleman Fedorish

Chatri:
In our rules meeting before every event, we clearly state that a suplex or any variation of it results in immediate DQ loss.

Elbe:
Chatri Sityodtong that’s the nice thing about owning the event your rules are the only rules that matter

Back