ONE Championship ban use of soccer kicks in fights

Waterade

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
ONE Championship confirmed to MMA Latest that should a soccer kick be used by one of their fighters, each case will be judged on its own merits e.g. considering severity, whether it was intentional, damage taken by the other fighter etc.

A fighter can be DQ’d from the fight if the referee believes that is the correct course of action.
http://www.mmalatestnews.com/one-championship-ban-use-soccer-kicks-fights/

Rizin, Deep, and Art of War are the only Asian promotions that use full Asian rules now.

That's a shame but it's probably for the best.

They can't take any chances at this point

Another death or serious injury associated with their brand and they're probably finished especially if it's from a guy getting kicked in the head on the ground

hey. at least they still have regional level fighters that they claim are the east's equivalent of UFC champs

Well there goes the glory days of ONE. Hopefully they still allow grounded knees and upkicks.

it probably has something to do with the Singapore government cracking down on them

I would like to see a rule implemented where you are allowed to throw 1 soccer kick per round and if you miss it or it gets blocked that's it!

obviously it would create controversy and what not but at least it would help ONE FC stand out

On one end this probably helps if the're trying to become mainstream and probably felt pressure from the public. On the other end, I felt their ruleset is what kinda helped set them apart from others. Now its just like most other orgs.

never really care for soccer kicks or stomps. Unified rules with knees to downed fighter are the perfect ruleset imo.

No!!!!!!!!! Atleast they can still stomp while opponent knee is on the ground. I actually don't like the fact that they ban soccer kicks.......... But at the same time, it is a lil but safer.

At least they didn't put on a bogus front about fighter safety and straight up said it's due to public perception, idk if that's much better though.

That's probably for the best. I remember Roger Huerta getting his head punted off and it was a bad time.

Also, wasn't Arlovski/Sylvia IV at ONE FC and Arlovski was DQed or the fight shut down for illegal soccer kicks? They sure are conflicted about those.

That's probably for the best. I remember Roger Huerta getting his head punted off and it was a bad time.

Also, wasn't Arlovski/Sylvia IV at ONE FC and Arlovski was DQed or the fight shut down for illegal soccer kicks? They sure are conflicted about those.

You're right he was DQ'd for it. The rules were different back then though, the ref had to call 'open attack' in order for the soccer kick to be legal. That quickly changed after the arlovski/sylvia fight.

Now they changed it again, because they are chasing mainstream 'sport fans' while alienating the original fan-base of born fighters who live for violence, and martial arts nerds who geek out over fighting techniques (like me).

I dunno. The pussification of fighting has already gone too far imo. Mainstream sport fans are never going to fully appreciate free fighting as a competition of combat and are always going to view it as a game of sport. So why cater to them? They should go watch ice hockey or something, where they fight with safety gear on.

So, the perception of cage fighting isnt as bad when kicks to a grounded fighter isnt allowed?

I read that they did a internal study of how bad the soccer kicks were and didn't find them that much more damaging than normal kicks and full on admit it is just caving to public pressure.

I wouldn't even be pissed if they banned soccer kicks because only the stepping low kick was skillful and the defence from open guard which was to do a leg raise type motion to block the kick with the backs of the fighters legs. But caving to public pressure when it hasn't been shown to be as dangerous as hyperbolic people make it out to be piss me off too much. Whats next grounded knee's?
It'll be USA rules then and those suck compared to Global Rules even without the soccer kicks.

Meh, OneFC is becoming less and less interesting for me. I enjoy watching MMA with no unified rules from time to time.

I can see why they are doing it and yeah, when Huerta got annihilated, it was damn brutal.

RIP "technical groundkick"

What a load of shit..I actually paid for their streams as well.

You're right he was DQ'd for it. The rules were different back then though, the ref had to call 'open attack' in order for the soccer kick to be legal. That quickly changed after the arlovski/sylvia fight.

Now they changed it again, because they are chasing mainstream 'sport fans' while alienating the original fan-base of born fighters who live for violence, and martial arts nerds who geek out over fighting techniques (like me).

I dunno. The pussification of fighting has already gone too far imo. Mainstream sport fans are never going to fully appreciate free fighting as a competition of combat and are always going to view it as a game of sport. So why cater to them? They should go watch ice hockey or something, where they fight with safety gear on.
Hockey fights are generally Frye vs Takayama without gloves though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back