Okami Sign with WSOF

I don't think Bellator wants to sign a UFC castoff that could beat their champ.

I don't think it has to do with that. It's more like Bellator dosen't want another Askren as champ. I'm sure Bellator would love Kongo as champ.

was kind of hoping he'd get to fight Khalidov or Shlemenko, but good for Okami. WSOF will treat him right and he'll probably end up being champion anyhow

Bad move. He'll beat all their contenders while simultaneously putting the crowd to sleep.

WSOF's number #1 guy at middleweight is Dave fucking Branch. He makes Okami look like prime Wanderlei Silva.

Like to have seen him in Bellator fighting in 2-3 months

Sweet. I hope WSOF picks up Palhares too. Also hoping WSOF becomes the new Strikeforce. I could see it :)

It's still half-serious though. To use Bjorn's own example with UFC not jumping on Askren, why wouldn't they jump on Okami? Or Fitch? Price is the only thing I could see being an issue.

Price is a big issue for them. With recent info on their gate money and what Spike gives them it's is easy to believe they can't afford to pay a lot of fighters 25-30k just to show. Looking over WSOF payscal and Bellator 99 payscale, WSOF seems to pay their fightees better. Not only that they are getting more top talent. If Bellator isn't careful that #2 slot will slip away.

Cheick_Kongo.jpg

Nah, just kidding. I agree, good non-signing by Bellator.

I hate the Kongo signing tbh. He is a legitimate threat to win their HW title via clinching and ball shots, lay and pray, and all that stuff. If he keeps the title for a while too it will be similar to but worse than the UFC hw division when big Tim had the belt.

Wow it really is crazy that Bellator doesnt pick up the UFC guys everyone wants them to get, instead they get War Machine and Riddle instead of top guys like Fitch, Okami etc.

WSOF is a good home I guess, I think he is easily gonna win that MW title.

Maybe thats the reason Bellator didnt sign him because he would beat their MW.

WSOF has a Zuffa clause. Bellator doesn't.

I'd like to see him vs JT Money/Mutapcic loser.

They really need to bring in some good MWs, that weightclass is weak for them. Hopefully someone from the AFC buyout steps out.

WSOF's number #1 guy at middleweight is Dave fucking Branch. He makes Okami look like prime Wanderlei Silva.

lol. You really can't argue with this.

I'm with you Bellator, I don't want your ratings to get better either.

You know, now that Yushin will be facing slightly lesser comp again, we should see him KOing guys more often. People tend to forget he has a nice jab, straight and dirty boxing because of his powerful grappling.

That doesn't seem to be an issue for Bellator. In fact they set up tournaments so Zuffa names will make runs frequently.

More likely, Bellator puts a premium on excitement and marketability from their fighters. That's why they released Bruno Carioca after a win, Aliev after undeserved sd loss, Indio after a questionable sd loss, Machaev after a win, etc. That's also why their interest in retaining Askren is limited, but they fought tooth and nail for Alvarez. And that's why they passed on Volkmann and Fitch, but went after Sass, Etim, and Nunes.

WSOF seems to be more about the sport aspect, Viacom the entertainment.

i agree, is anyone really going go crazy for Okami vs Branch match-up? At this stage Bellator is trying to develop there MW division which is filled with lots of inexperienced and young fighters who Okami would lay on for 3 rounds

It's still half-serious though. To use Bjorn's own example with UFC not jumping on Askren, why wouldn't they jump on Okami? Or Fitch? Price is the only thing I could see being an issue.

Kongo was getting paid 20K more than Okami in the UFC :rolleyes:

Back