Official Women's Division Discussion #25

If I am correct in what fight I think is booked we might have a new "hottest" fight ever and it will be made at 125.

I have some thoughts on the Reebok deal. I personally believe the UFC has the right to say what brands can or can not advertise on their broadcasts and in their cages. While this is true, I can't see how the Reebok deal is good for fighters in general in its current state. I agree with your point that most sponsorship deals are lazy. Felice Herrig is one of the shining example of amazing sponsorship relationships. Even with the Reebok deal she kept all her sponsors because Felice built a relationship with their brands and she does an amazing job promoting them as opposed to just slapping a logo on a banner.

I remember when the Reebok deal was 1st announced the Bad Boy CEO did an interview where he said that fighter in cage sponsorship was a way to get extremely cheap advertisements. He gave an example how just how much companies pay to get their 30 seconds of ad time during commercials on a UFC broadcast and then compared to the fraction the companies spent on fighters to have their logo's in the cage for 15 minutes and in highlights possibly forever.

I think the solution to make the Reebok deal better is simple. Just give fighters 2 or 3 logo spots on official Reebok fight kits. This way everyone wins. The fighters get the Reebok money as a supplement instead of as the whole amount. The hate that Reebok as a brand got from the MMA community dissipates as a result making them happy. Fighters who never got sponsorship money like Mark Hunt will be guaranteed at least their Reebok money and the fighters who made bank off Sponsors will still make a lot of money. Allowing Banners to come back would also help a ton but Dana has said multiple times he hated the way Banners looked so that will not be happening.

My initial problem with the deal was that the UFC was actually losing money. Similar to NASCAR, sponsors had to pay both the fighters and the UFC. The UFC argued they didn't want to hassle collecting from delinquent sponsors - which tells me they didn't have cash in hand, which is a simple fix.

Not to mention the UFC Expo which saw hundreds of vendors pay money to show their wares and hire fighters to be at the booths.

Plus the fighters are getting screwed over not getting money from the sponsors, which helped make up the difference from what the promotion was paying. I bet we wouldn't have gotten union talk at all if they stayed with what they had. Plus WME would be making their money back quicker. I suspect Reebok is out once the contract is up.

Always argued the UFC should have taken up the WWE model in terms of t-shirts. Have individual ones for certain fighters and they split the profits. They have a few times most notably with Sean O'Malley who's t-shirt sold out quickly.

And don't get me started about Reebok still not fixing their sports bras....

OMG! What did we just see?! JoJo by armbar?! Well, I never...

That was one of the best things in the Octagon I have ever witnessed. :D :D

How did that even happen?

White belt mistakes. Faria tried to pull out of a triangle instead of pushing through back into guard, then she lost her posture & position trying to pull out and didn't try to get it back, then she just handed her arm to Calderwood trying to do god knows what and got tapped. She got in a hole and kept digging till she got buried. Nice work by JoJo to recognize the gift that was handed to her, but man, that was some serious potatoing.

To be honest, I don't see JoJo doing too well once she moves up in competition. She was bum rushed with punches into the clinch and taken down pretty easily, she got face punched pretty easily then clinched and thrown down without much trouble. Didn't even get her hips back, get an over/underhook in, or do anything defensively to stop or at least slow down the takedown. There's a bunch of grappling based fighters in the division who'd feast on her, not to mention the Shevchenko sisters.

OMG! What did we just see?! JoJo by armbar?! Well, I never...

That was one of the best things in the Octagon I have ever witnessed. :D :D

I know right? Shocking reversal of fortune. Credit to Jojo how on her back she kept scrapping. Throwing those elbows and then getting the legs around for the choke. Then beautifully transitioning to the arm bar!

White belt mistakes. Faria tried to pull out of a triangle instead of pushing through back into guard, then she lost her posture & position trying to pull out and didn't try to get it back, then she just handed her arm to Calderwood trying to do god knows what and got tapped. She got in a hole and kept digging till she got buried. Nice work by JoJo to recognize the gift that was handed to her, but man, that was some serious potatoing.

To be honest, I don't see JoJo doing too well once she moves up in competition. She was bum rushed with punches into the clinch and taken down pretty easily, she got face punched pretty easily then clinched and thrown down without much trouble. Didn't even get her hips back, get an over/underhook in, or do anything defensively to stop or at least slow down the takedown. There's a bunch of grappling based fighters in the division who'd feast on her, not to mention the Shevchenko sisters.

You're probably correct about all that. Still it's really nice seeing her get that W. Pulling a victory from the jaws of defeat. With da feet. :) She's popular for good reason. Her interviews are pretty hilarious.

I had to miss all the fights but everyone who I wanted to win did for only the 2nd time since I started watching MMA.

DEEP stream for those interested. 1:30 a.m. pst/4:30 a.m. est. Three female bouts:
  • Satomi Takano vs. Alyssa Garcia (105)
  • Emi Tomimatsu vs. Si Woo Park (105)
  • Kana Watanabe vs Asami “Akaringo” Nakai (125)\

The first two rounds of Hill/Casey were a lot of fun, it was sad to see the hate the fight got in various comments sections. Not good.
I didn't really know how to score the bout but given the outcome, I wonder how Grasso/Hill would have gone.

Julia Avila won tonight - got the first round TKO over Ashley Deen at HD MMA

The first two rounds of Hill/Casey were a lot of fun, it was sad to see the hate the fight got in various comments sections. Not good.
I didn't really know how to score the bout but given the outcome, I wonder how Grasso/Hill would have gone.
Well, the Heavies is cancer, so....

Back