Official Women's Division Discussion #25

And.... Alexa Grasso adorably doing more weird shit.

"Lets give some bright to my teeth while I dry my hair. HiSmile just need 10 min to do a teethwhitening
1f601.png
2705.png
✅
I can not train and sweat all day like usually so Im using this free time to beautify me
1f486_200d_2640.png
♀️
#Hismile #teethwhiteningkit #shinebrightlikeadiamond
1f444.png
"

Sparta Strawweight one night tournament bracket for Oct. 13.

39851724_10210602169684625_6883817709075693568_n.jpg

This seems like an IQ test for Markos. Rodriguez isn't a good wrestler at all, but she'll most likely wreck Markos in a range kickboxing match.

This seems like an IQ test for Markos. Rodriguez isn't a good wrestler at all, but she'll most likely wreck Markos in a range kickboxing match.

Interesting. Signing a fight for a girl they just signed from an unaired episode of the contender series. Spoiler.

They must see something in Marina to match her with Randa in her first fight (especially a Randa coming off a loss lol)

Randa is certainly a .500 fighter with a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but she’s still a pretty legit test for a newcomer

IQ test for Markos

Uh oh!

...nah, Randa isn't that dumb. She usually gameplans to do what she needs to do, at least, so if all she needs is to wrestle a bit to win,
then the most important thing in MMA will continue:
The Streak™

Man, turn off the autocowreck.

And switch to Android

Changed her name to Saudi. Gone full heel.

And.... Alexa Grasso adorably doing more weird shit.

"Lets give some bright to my teeth while I dry my hair. HiSmile just need 10 min to do a teethwhitening
1f601.png
2705.png
✅
I can not train and sweat all day like usually so Im using this free time to beautify me
1f486_200d_2640.png
♀️
#Hismile #teethwhiteningkit #shinebrightlikeadiamond
1f444.png
"

I always laugh at the idiots who truly believe that the UFC banned all sponsorships. Either they don’t follow any fighters on social media, or they honestly beleive fighters plug products and link to them for free.

The Reebok deal meant two things for sponsors and fighters:
1. It made the fighters actually work for endorsement deals. The days of “here’s some money and out logo, stick it to your ass on your shorts” is long gone. Fighters now have to go “I have x number of social media followers who will see me using your product. That’s x number of people who wouldn’t have known about your product before, and will now know it works.”
2. The companies no longer get easy tv time. Now, they actually have to invest in a fighter in order to get their money’s worth. They’re putting both time, money, and product into the fighters. It means long term relationships.

In these ways, the Reebok deal helped the sport grow, as fast as fighter and sponsor relationships go.

Uh oh!

...nah, Randa isn't that dumb. She usually gameplans to do what she needs to do, at least, so if all she needs is to wrestle a bit to win,
The Streak™

Either she or a future opponent needs to steal Brock’s “eat, sleep, beat the streak” t-shirt.

I always laugh at the idiots who truly believe that the UFC banned all sponsorships. Either they don’t follow any fighters on social media, or they honestly beleive fighters plug products and link to them for free.

1. It made the fighters actually work for endorsement deals. The days of “here’s some money and out logo, stick it to your ass on your shorts” is long gone. Fighters now have to go “I have x number of social media followers who will see me using your product. That’s x number of people who wouldn’t have known about your product before, and will now know it works.”
2. The companies no longer get easy tv time. Now, they actually have to invest in a fighter in order to get their money’s worth. They’re putting both time, money, and product into the fighters. It means long term relationships.

In these ways, the Reebok deal helped the sport grow, as fast as fighter and sponsor relationships go.

Either she or a future opponent needs to steal Brock’s “eat, sleep, beat the streak” t-shirt.
You forgot:

3. The mostly underpaid fighters make far less money from sponsorships as a result.

2. The companies no longer get easy tv time. Now, they actually have to invest in a fighter in order to get their money’s worth.
Sorry but how are either of those things good? I must have missed where you explained that

You forgot:

3. The mostly underpaid fighters make far less money from sponsorships as a result.
Actually, some of the mostly underpaid fighters have come out in support of Reebok, because they weren’t getting sponsored anyway.

I have some thoughts on the Reebok deal. I personally believe the UFC has the right to say what brands can or can not advertise on their broadcasts and in their cages. While this is true, I can't see how the Reebok deal is good for fighters in general in its current state. I agree with your point that most sponsorship deals are lazy. Felice Herrig is one of the shining example of amazing sponsorship relationships. Even with the Reebok deal she kept all her sponsors because Felice built a relationship with their brands and she does an amazing job promoting them as opposed to just slapping a logo on a banner.

I remember when the Reebok deal was 1st announced the Bad Boy CEO did an interview where he said that fighter in cage sponsorship was a way to get extremely cheap advertisements. He gave an example how just how much companies pay to get their 30 seconds of ad time during commercials on a UFC broadcast and then compared to the fraction the companies spent on fighters to have their logo's in the cage for 15 minutes and in highlights possibly forever.

I think the solution to make the Reebok deal better is simple. Just give fighters 2 or 3 logo spots on official Reebok fight kits. This way everyone wins. The fighters get the Reebok money as a supplement instead of as the whole amount. The hate that Reebok as a brand got from the MMA community dissipates as a result making them happy. Fighters who never got sponsorship money like Mark Hunt will be guaranteed at least their Reebok money and the fighters who made bank off Sponsors will still make a lot of money. Allowing Banners to come back would also help a ton but Dana has said multiple times he hated the way Banners looked so that will not be happening.

Uh oh!

The Streak™
Randa struggles to adapt in fights, imo. That shouldn’t be a problem against Rodriguez so long as she hits her takedowns.
I think the solution to make the Reebok deal better is simple. Just give fighters 2 or 3 logo spots on official Reebok fight kits. This way everyone wins. The fighters get the Reebok money as a supplement instead of as the whole amount. The hate that Reebok as a brand got from the MMA community dissipates as a result making them happy. Fighters who never got sponsorship money like Mark Hunt will be guaranteed at least their Reebok money and the fighters who made bank off Sponsors will still make a lot of money. Allowing Banners to come back would also help a ton but Dana has said multiple times he hated the way Banners looked so that will not be happening.
Agreed on the 2-3 sponsor slots. It’s a healthy compromise. (And probably the best solution) A few rules, like no other apparel companies would be fine too.

Personally, I feel the Reebok deal strips some character away from fighters.. but I understand why it exists, and how its gaurentee of some money can sometimes benefit certain groups of fighters.

A 'today's fighter birthdays' list caught the corner of my eye because Romy Ruyssen was on it.

I was surprised to see the Invicta 1 headliner is still only 29.

Come back to MMA, Romy!

Back