Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Also, I'm interested In Morgan Frier. She looked huge and is 3-1.

Gomes actually announced her retirement on Instagram earlier this month. I guess this was the last roll of the dice for her.

Makes sense. If they're going to go over the age limit for someone, go with Marciea Allen. Ediane is 40 and well...not good.
One of the best records on that list, though, by far.

This could’ve been a 16 woman tournament had it been at 135, but whatever.

Personally, I think they should skip Pannie, Marciea, & Zoila. All 3 have more to offer at their actual weight classes.

Well it's a 8 participants tournament, not 16, so yeah it can be pretty good, they should take mostly the actual featherweights of course.

Dandois, Van Duin, Zarah Fairn, Sorenson, Pacheco and Roberta Paim would be the 6 more accomplished and proven at 135+, so to me these are safe go-to.

Then for the 2 slots remaining there are Julija Stoliarenko, Jessy Miele, Marciea Allen and Jozette Cotton..

Hope they don't get Cotton because of her shenanigans, and Allen i think it's a pretty big bantamweight, so could be a interesting option, but i would prefer to see her staying at Invicta and eventually fighting Kaufman.
Here is the list minus 3 I have yet to find. Note that word is going around Ediane didn't make it past the first round cuts

https://wombatsports.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/28-try-out-for-tuf-28/
Thanks for your great work bro, really appreciate the time and effort invested.

I guess cutting Ediane was the right decision, too old and too dangerous.

And unsurprisingly, she has no trouble making 135.
She's said multiple times she had trouble making 135. But doesn't really matter because she's just really rough around the edges and has terrible cardio at every weight class.

Past weekend results mostly posted - awaiting some foreign and amateurs as per usual.

Of note...

Panama's Joselyne Edwards Laboriel finally made her US debut. Defeated Jessica Middleton in Iowa and improves to 7-1 as a pro.

Epic Fighting saw a lot of amateur action, with two stand outs as Anita Höehenleiter won her 7th fight (she fought at 155 for this one) and strawweight Juliana Miller wins her 5th straight and remains undefeated.

https://wombatsports.wordpress.com/upcoming-fights/

She wants to have 2 more fights in UFC (maybe M. Anderson + Nunes), get some time off to focus on boxing, fight Braekhus and then come back to MMA, giving 145 time to develop contenders in the process. If possible, she doesn't want to give away her title, and she won't be done with MMA by the end of her current contract, so nah, these aren't that good of news for the Cyborg haters..
Once again this clown talks out of his ass just to hate at Cyborg, even indirectly..

Holm is a huge 135er, she can make it, sure, she has proven to be able to many times in the past, but without difficulty? Absurd statement.

She struggles a lot. She walks around very heavy for a BW, at 155/160+ lbs and she is physically a big woman (body type, reach, height), fight night she was supposedly heavier than Cyborg, and she was stronger in the clinch too, holding Cyborg there for some minutes and also looking as big as Cyborg.

A few weeks ago 1 of Holly Holm's trainers, maybe her S&C coach, said she was killing herself to make it (135) and that this huge cut isn't worthy anymore, near to retirement, hence she is fighting at 145 now.
It's fact that she walks around heavier than most of the other 135ers, so stop with this stupidity trying to point to something that wasn't there (a physical advantage for Cyborg against Holm as far as size goes). Cyborg won due to a skill difference, and a better gameplan.

Your pathetic hate towards her blinds you from the truth and from the facts.

Yes that's my understanding too regarding Cyborg & Holm, based on what I've read & seen. Cyborg enjoys challenging herself in matches outside pro mma. Breakhus-Cyborg could be a good boxing match. If it's as good as the Baars-Cyborg kickboxing match it will be amazing. Smart business move on her part. Let the current contract expire, let the division develop (or see if it develops) then negotiate with all organizations.

Nunes indicated at the post-Pennington press conference that she'd like to take some time off then fight in her division against Vieira. And we don't know how Anderson will look versus Holm. I liked Anderson in Invicta (love her podcast with Sanko) and think she'll look fine versus Holm. What's a good current matchup in mma for Cyborg at her weight class? Apparently no one in the world. It indicates how good she is, and how dominant.

Why is Alpar trying out at 145 when she's 5'4" short and has fought predominately as a 125er?

Maybe Jessica Andrade can move up to 145 and be champ, too...She can go Ultimate Warrior style and gorilla press Elizabeth Phillips and Pam Sorenson for the ratings.

According to unnamed sources Honey Boo Boo is secretly training for the show.

She's said multiple times she had trouble making 135. But doesn't really matter because she's just really rough around the edges and has terrible cardio at every weight class.

Yeah, she said it, but she is small compared to other 145ers and, to my knowledge, has never missed weight. I think she just does not like to cut. And the competition, with one exception, is easier at 145.

According to unnamed sources Honey Boo Boo is secretly training for the show.
Is it in poor taste to say she can't make 145? Like is she old enough for me to make that joke and not be a terrible person?

Update: She's apparently 12 now so my moral compass says I can indeed make this joke

I was expecting Stoliarenko there TBH. All her victories have been through armbar with her sole losses being to Lucie Pudilova and Agnieszka Niedzwiedz and a draw with Martyna Czech. She also had a handful of "custom rules" bouts which if they counted she'd be 8-2-1.

I think they'll cast Pacheco for sure, would be a good redemption story. They'll probably cast Allen and Kianzad who will likely move down after the show.

I didn't realise they'll be casting only eight women, if that's the case then I'd take: Malecki, Dandois, Stoliarenko, Pacheco, Kianzad, Allen, Fairn & Paim.

Last edited:
I was expecting Stoliarenko there TBH. All her victories have been through armbar with her sole losses being to Lucie Pudilova and Agnieszka Niedzwiedz and a draw with Martyna Czech. She also had a handful of "custom rules" bouts which if they counted she'd be 8-2-1.

I think they'll cast Pacheco for sure, would be a good redemption story. They'll probably cast Allen and Kianzad who will likely move down after the show.

I didn't realise they'll be casting only eight women, if that's the case then I'd take: Malecki, Dandois, Stoliarenko, Pacheco, Kianzad, Allen, Fairn & Paim.

Do you really think they will take Cindy after cutting her recently? I mean, she is as skilled as anyone not named Cyborg at 145, but, well, the UFC has been shown to be both stupid and petty in the extreme.

I honestly can't see them not taking her, especially with the field that showed up.

Back