Official Women's Division Discussion #25

bjpenn.com is hardly a credible source.

Going by what Montano is posting on her IG lately, she might not fight for a while. Pretty serious health issues.

145 could be alright if it was just in one company, either Invicta or Bellator.... The fact is that the talent is hard to find to begin with, then its split between Bellator, UFC, Invicta, ect..... So all the 145 divisions are watered down, the best 145lb fighter was signed to a company that had no other 145s on the roster.

There's more talent at 125, so its not as noticeable.... but shit gets barren at 145 pretty quick. If UFC gets serious about building the division it could pan out... it looks like they're committing to it finally.
It's just a matter of time until all Invicta promising fighters goes to UFC, they should all be on TUF. I doubt Invicta tries to continue with 145 vets, and imo it's possible to keep the division going with just Bellator/UFC, if they sign the rest of the talent that is spread worldwide.

For a while, yes, it will be a prelim division, but once it gets competitive and more fighters get experience, the spotlight will be there to the ones who actually evolves as fighters.. i don't understand why some of you are so immediatist with the 145 division.
People anticipated 145 wouldn't grow much even when Gina Carano, a huge star, fought. After all these years, it has produced little talent. Bigger female athletes prefer other sports it seems - and having names like Gina and Cyborg isn't having any effect on the division's growth.

People anticipated 145 wouldn't grow much even when Gina Carano, a huge star, fought. After all these years, it has produced little talent. Bigger female athletes prefer other sports it seems - and having names like Gina and Cyborg isn't having any effect on the division's growth.
Sure, no one is saying it will be stacked, it will be always worse than 115/125/135, but it can't get any worse than just 3 or 4 fighters in the division. Beyond that, some talent will eventually show up if you open the door for it.

Sure, no one is saying it will be stacked, it will be always worse than 115/125/135, but it can't get any worse than just 3 or 4 fighters in the division. Beyond that, some talent will eventually show up if you open the door for it.
The door has always been open with the brief exception in time between Cyborg being busted in Strikeforce and Invicta creating 145. I do not believe the only way the division grows is if the UFC has it.

If this featherweight TUF thing is actually happening I really hope they fly in international fighters, and totally ignore records/database rankings. It's going to be canceled, or dreadful at best if they depend on who has 3 pro fights, speaks English, and can also afford to show up to tryouts.

If I were matchmaking & seeding this season;

1. Martina Jindrova (0-0)
2. Jamie Harrington (0-0)
3. Stephanie Glew (0-0)
4. Bea Malecki (0-0)
5. Svetlana Vinnikova (0-0)
6. Danyelle Wolf (0-0)
7. Tainara Lisboa (0-1)
8. Jennifer Osterlin (0-0)
9. Carleigh Crawford (0-0)
10. Julia Irmen (0-0)
11. Melody Downs (0-0)
12. Kelsey Andries (0-0)
13. Julija Stoilarenko (1-2, and I'd lie about her record counting moat fight wins, so 5-2)
14. Cindy Dandois (12-3)
15. Zamzagul Fayzallanova (5-1, Mostly just want to hear Rogan say "Zamzagul")
16. Duda Cowboyzinha (3-0, mostly here to look scary and get zonked by Jindrova)

*It'd be really swell to get Genah Fabian & Helena Jurisic from Bellator.

*If Miriam Nakamoto is trying to come out of retirement to leglock one of these people she can replace whoever. Would also accept literally anyone who has a silver/gold medal above 65kg in an international wrestling/sanda/muay thai tournament.

-----------------------------------------------------------

What this season will actually look like;

1. Jan Finney (10-13)
2. Brittney Elkin (3-4)
3. Amy Coleman (2-2)
4. Leah Letson (4-1)
5. Felicia Spencer (4-0)
6. Bobby Jo Dalziel (3-0)
7. Pam Sorenson (7-2)
8. Cindy Dandois (12-3)

They won't even have to fight to get into the house. 27 people at tryouts.

-------------------------------------------

Shitposting aside, I assume as usual they will lift the record restrictions for people with combat sport backgrounds (Angela Hill, Jessica Rakoczy, Mellony Guegjes, Lanchana Green).

I actually expect Bea Malecki to be there, also Jamie Herrington. Wouldn't be surprised if the mentioned Danyelle Wolf is there (finally), but she has a pro fight booked for August.
wolf.jpg

bjpenn.com is hardly a credible source.

Going by what Montano is posting on her IG lately, she might not fight for a while. Pretty serious health issues.

Yeah, even if she starts training today, her conditioning is not where it should be and she just had her damn tonsils out. Poor girl cannot seem to catch a break, which is too bad. I really like both fighters. I favor Shevchenko, which should surprise no one who has read anything I have posted.

Started a thread for shits and giggles in the main:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/nico-montano-vs-valentina-shevchenko-ufccalgary-july-28th.3755265/

The US Muay Thai team competing at IFMA this month was announced. There's two MMA fighters on the female team; Akeela Al-Hameed at 155 lbs, and Natalie Salcedo at 105lbs. Salcedo has a greco wrestling background, so I hope her and Loma Lookboonmee get matched up.

Also on team Mexico there's Valeria Ramirez (2-0 mma) fighting at 105lbs.

AKeela.jpg

natalie.jpg

Janet Todd from the US team in a Reebok commercial

Last edited:
If this featherweight TUF thing is actually happening I really hope they fly in international fighters, and totally ignore records/database rankings. It's going to be canceled, or dreadful at best if they depend on who has 3 pro fights, speaks English, and can also afford to show up to tryouts.

If I were matchmaking & seeding this season;

1. Martina Jindrova (0-0)
2. Jamie Harrington (0-0)
3. Stephanie Glew (0-0)
4. Bea Malecki (0-0)
5. Svetlana Vinnikova (0-0)
6. Danyelle Wolf (0-0)
7. Tainara Lisboa (0-1)
8. Jennifer Osterlin (0-0)
9. Carleigh Crawford (0-0)
10. Julia Irmen (0-0)
11. Melody Downs (0-0)
12. Kelsey Andries (0-0)
13. Julija Stoilarenko (1-2, and I'd lie about her record counting moat fight wins, so 5-2)
14. Cindy Dandois (12-3)
15. Zamzagul Fayzallanova (5-1, Mostly just want to hear Rogan say "Zamzagul")
16. Duda Cowboyzinha (3-0, mostly here to look scary and get zonked by Jindrova)

*It'd be really swell to get Genah Fabian & Helena Jurisic from Bellator.
Out of the restrictions, speaking English should be removed and they can hire interpreters. A good chunk of featherweights come from non-English regions and they can improve English skills over their careers.

Elizabeth Phillips will show up to the try outs just like her opponent.

Db0xnVbUQAAf4vF.jpg:large
The door has always been open with the brief exception in time between Cyborg being busted in Strikeforce and Invicta creating 145. I do not believe the only way the division grows is if the UFC has it.
Come on, dude. Most people outside MMA-hardcore bubble don't even know what Invicta is. UFC introduced WMMA for the majority of fans, including me. The lack of a 145 division in UFC resulted in no incentive to some boxers/kickboxers/judokas/sambists (?) make a transition to MMA, i think Harrison will be the first of many bigger women coming, because the money is there now. Not only that, but getting more featherweights and matching them against each other will produce contenders and make everyone evolve as fighters, to keep competitive. Also the bigger paychecks allow fighters to drop their 2nd job and focus on training.
Out of the restrictions, speaking English should be removed and they can hire interpreters. A good chunk of featherweights come from non-English regions and they can improve English skills over their careers.
I don't think you need to speak english, some chick in the last TUF had a interpreter, i think it was Gevorgyan or Fabian. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, please.

Last edited:
Taila looking fit again, DWTNCS BR next?

I've seen three flyweights pegged for the Brazilian portion of the Contender Series, and one is her teammate Sarah Frota (tats in the pic above), so it'd probably mean Taila would be fighting either Luana Carolina or Dayana Silva.

I've seen three flyweights pegged for the Brazilian portion of the Contender Series, and one is her teammate Sarah Frota (tats in the pic above), so it'd probably mean Taila would be fighting either Luana Carolina or Dayana Silva.
Luana is probably fighting Santos or Frota.
Most likely Santos, because both are more bantamweight-sized, while Frota is a flyweight.

oo I hope Taila gets a shot! Glad to see the UFC reaching out to more 135'ers, that division is desperately in need of new faces.

Last edited:
Hopefully they perform really well. UFC needs bantamweights.
The division currently has 17 fighters, not counting Pena due to inactivity (post-pregnancy time), Holm (busy at featherweight) and Lemos (USADA'd).
Yana Kunitskaya should drop to 135, making it 18.
Right now i think the only 2 unranked are Talita Bernardo (0-2 UFC) and Yanan Wu (0-1 UFC).
Evinger and Kunitskaya have yet to fight at 135.

I personally like Bernardo, I hope they give her another fight soon, some of her grappling against Marion Reneau impressed me.

I wonder if there's any other Brazilian BWs they're considering. Would like to see Karol Rosa, and maybe Larissa Pacheco (who recently defeated Rosa at 145).

ETA: They should consider reaching out to the Eastern European scene soon, lots of great talent there.

Wonder what ever happened to Claudia Rey? She was one of that group with Talia Santos/Janaisa Morandin/Karine Silva who started their training under Darren Till/Marcelo Brigadeiro. Rey seemed like the best athlete of the group, was really big for 135, signed with Invicta at 125, and then just disappeared into some fitness kickboxing gym.

Back