Official Women's Division Discussion #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see Botelho as a scrawny 5'8" Strawweight. What more can the UFC do to ensure these ladies aren't 100%.

UFC seriously needs to start a Flyweight division, I don't understand their reluctance not to.

I am not looking forward to Val's weight cut now that I know its a strawweight fight.

Exactly what I was thinking. She looked absolutely horrible at her last 115 weigh-in. She took a beating but still held up well. Still, putting your body into such a state can't be very healthy.

UFC seriously needs to start a Flyweight division, I don't understand their reluctance not to.

My sentiments exactly. The 115 roster is already full to the brim, and a few of those fighters would make the jump to 125 (which would make more room for new fighters)4. Plenty of potential outside the UFC for new recruits, as well. GUARANTEED to be better than the women's 135 division. Maybe 125 will be UFC's holiday gift for all us goobers.

Exactly what I was thinking. She looked absolutely horrible at her last 115 weigh-in. She took a beating but still held up well. Still, putting your body into such a state can't be very healthy.

Nope. A large percentage of her bodyweight. Too large, IMO. Sure, she makes the cut, but you take a beating. Over time, the stress wears on you on many levels (even dysfunction of the pituitary)

My sentiments exactly. The 115 roster is already full to the brim, and a few of those fighters would make the jump to 125 (which would make more room for new fighters)4. Plenty of potential outside the UFC for new recruits, as well. GUARANTEED to be better than the women's 135 division. Maybe 125 will be UFC's holiday gift for all us goobers.

I would like to see it as well, even though 135 will take a little bit of a hit (probably). 125 remains the deepest WMMA division.

I would like to see it as well, even though 135 will take a little bit of a hit (probably). 125 remains the deepest WMMA division.

At this point, I'd say 115 has more fighters clamoring for it.

At this point, I'd say 115 has more fighters clamoring for it.

Yeah, but I think 115 can more afford to lose fighters. More an opinion on the respective talent levels. While I do not think the disparity is huge, 115 just looks a little sharper, both in and out of the UFC. So even though JJ and Claudia will move up (probably) I would think that 115 can recover from the loss better than 135, assuming those like Shevchenko move down (which she damn well should). I do not think Rousey will be around long one way or another, and 135 will need some sort of standard-bearer for a while.

Yeah, but I think 115 can more afford to lose fighters. More an opinion on the respective talent levels. While I do not think the disparity is huge, 115 just looks a little sharper, both in and out of the UFC. So even though JJ and Claudia will move up (probably) I would think that 115 can recover from the loss better than 135, assuming those like Shevchenko move down (which she damn well should). I do not think Rousey will be around long one way or another, and 135 will need some sort of standard-bearer for a while.
If Rousey comes back and dominates, I could see more fighters from 135 making the cut. If she doesn't, then it leaves the division nice and open, so no need to cut that weight for a lot of fighters. it's the 115 fighters who are sick of cutting weight.

If Rousey comes back and dominates, I could see more fighters from 135 making the cut. If she doesn't, then it leaves the division nice and open, so no need to cut that weight for a lot of fighters. it's the 115 fighters who are sick of cutting weight.

Yeah, and who can blame them? Shit gets real, real old.

What is up with Barb Honchak, anyway? I know she moved, but it has been a while.

Yeah, and who can blame them? Shit gets real, real old.

What is up with Barb Honchak, anyway? I know she moved, but it has been a while.
According to Shannon Knapp, she hasn't responded to their calls for a while.

According to Shannon Knapp, she hasn't responded to their calls for a while.

Well, damn, I guess that says all we need to know. With her education, it is easy for her to find work that does not involve getting hit in the face.

Ah, good for her. Yeah, the cut to 115 is brutal for her, but she is too small for 135.

20161018_200028.png
What do you guys think the new owners will do with Cris Cyborg after her contract expires? She can't have that many fights left.

If bantamweights continue to reject Cyborg's demands to go up, that'll likely hurt her brand enough that WME-IMG may not think it's worth resigning her.

If she stays with Invicta, Cyborg will have to settle for a $13k/$13k deal similar to Tonya Evinger. If not, then it'll be off to Bellator.

View attachment 156775
What do you guys think the new owners will do with Cris Cyborg after her contract expires? She can't have that many fights left.

If bantamweights continue to reject Cyborg's demands to go up, that'll likely hurt her brand enough that WME-IMG may not think it's worth resigning her.

If she stays with Invicta, Cyborg will have to settle for a $13k/$13k deal similar to Tonya Evinger. If not, then it'll be off to Bellator.
Dude. Letting Cyborg go to Bellator would be damn horrible for them(UFC). Especially with the Chael in the mix now too. They'd make her a massive star. Are you kidding me? lol. They get millions of people to watch geriatrics fight each other... Think of how they'd draw interest for their very own Rounda in a sense. Though she's already a name in her own right. & she's worked with Coker before. Would be a bad move by the UFC. Will be interesting to see how things go. But she wont be fighting in Invicta anymore, you can believe dat.

As for the actual fighting side of things... Poor Coenen... :p

Is that now Justino's excuse for fighting two girls who aren't top even at the lower weight class they come from to fight her at 140? It's like she's openly admitting she's fighting in freakshows against much smaller women with really 0 risk, but "The UFC made me do it!" Not that there's really anything wrong with it for her. She's getting relatively well for it.

Dude. Letting Cyborg go to Bellator would be damn horrible for them(UFC). Especially with the Chael in the mix now too. They'd make her a massive star. Are you kidding me? lol. They get millions of people to watch geriatrics fight each other... Think of how they'd draw interest for their very own Rounda in a sense. Though she's already a name in her own right. & she's worked with Coker before. Would be a bad move by the UFC. Will be interesting to see how things go. But she wont be fighting in Invicta anymore, you can believe dat.

As for the actual fighting side of things... Poor Coenen... :p
My main concern for Cyborg is, if she finishes her contract fighting the likes of Daria Ibragimova and Lina Lansberg, her bargaining power come negotiation time likely isn't going to be stellar. She's been hoping familiar bantamweights would bite to improve the quality of her resume since Zuffa took her aboard with no luck. WME-IMG can say, "Based on the quality opponents you've been facing, coupled with the fact everyone is having difficulty getting compelling opponents for you, we don't believe your present earnings are justified."

When Aldana makes it to the UFC, who would be the ideal fist opponent for her?

When Aldana makes it to the UFC, who would be the ideal fist opponent for her?
My first choice would be Reneau. They were scheduled to fight at Invicta but Reneau had bronchitis and pulled out.

I'd also settle for Ashlee Evans-Smith, Leslie Smith, Jessica Eye or Germaine de Randamie.

My first choice would be Reneau. They were scheduled to fight at Invicta but Reneau had bronchitis and pulled out.

I'd also settle for Ashlee Evans-Smith, Leslie Smith, Jessica Eye or Germaine de Randamie.

Any explanation why Germain fights so infrequently?

Any explanation why Germain fights so infrequently?
Injuries.

Injury forced her out of UFC 174 against Milana Dudieva.

She then beat Larissa Pacheco.

Injury forced her out of UFC FOX 17 against Sarah Kaufman.

She then beat Anna Elmose.

Recently, a foot injury forced her out of the Hamburg fight in August against Ashlee Evans-Smith. She began training again September 7th and has been vocal on Twitter saying she's ready to fight anyone the UFC chooses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back