Official MLB off-season thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't surprise me as I don't think they have the pitching either. I think the bullpen is kinda thin too
Who do they even have in the pen now? Rosenthal had a horrible year last year, they still have Seigrest. Then after that who? I honestly can't name many more.

As much as the Cards seem to turn avg pitchers into better pitchers when they go there over the past decade they also seem to kill arms also. wainwright, Carp, Motte, Reyes, Lynn all TJ surgery. Wacha never healthy over career.

Yep. Too many innings on those arms. I'm worried the Stros fucked up Keuchel

Who do they even have in the pen now? Rosenthal had a horrible year last year, they still have Seigrest. Then after that who? I honestly can't name many more.
Oh was a stud closer last year. Rosenthal has fallen off.

Yep. Too many innings on those arms. I'm worried the Stros fucked up Keuchel
Went down 1 MPH on avg fastball and his GB rate that was one of the best in baseball went up alot last year. Still think he can turn it around though. Still had his 2nd best year in k/9

Exactly. Rosenthal looked completely done. Seigrest probably can give them innings but no middle relief. Once the 6th inning hits it's going to be ugly

Went down 1 MPH on avg fastball and his GB rate that was one of the best in baseball went up alot last year. Still think he can turn it around though. Still had his 2nd best year in k/9

One of the positives is he's a control pitcher so even if he declines on velocity as long as his placement is back on he can easily rebound. What scares me is "tired arm"

Springs said he had to shut down throwing sessions

I'm really interested to see if Kyle Hendricks can at least somewhat duplicate what he did last year. I think he can definitely come close.

I love the Cubs bullpen. I hear some say they wont be the same since they lost Chapman but id take 6 months ofW. Davis over 2 months of Chapman..Plus added Uehara. They have a better bullpen then last year imo even losing Chapman. I still pick them to win the Nl and my Dodgers 2nd. I like the Astros too since they got some vet hitters to help the young kids. Just need more SP.

I'm really interested to see if Kyle Hendricks can at least somewhat duplicate what he did last year. I think he can definitely come close.
I was shocked how good he has been over the past 3 years instead of just last year only when he stood out. He don't strike out a ton of guys k/9 so got overlooked.

I love the Cubs bullpen. I hear some say they wont be the same since they lost Chapman but id take 6 months ofW. Davis over 2 months of Chapman..Plus added Uehara. They have a better bullpen then last year imo even losing Chapman. I still pick them to win the Nl and my Dodgers 2nd. I like the Astros too since they got some vet hitters to help the young kids. Just need more SP.

As long as that pen can stay healthy it should be the best in the NL Strop, Uehara to Rondon & Davis. That's gnarly. The big losses are David Ross & Dexter. That is a lot of chemistry to reclaim. Dex is such a great LO hitter too. GOnna be tough to replace.

Also under the radar, but Hammel was as dependable as a 5 starter as possible, I think there will be quite a bit of turnover there. Montgomery is a 2 pitch pitcher and I really like him more out of the pen. I'd have felt pretty comfortable if they would have been able to bring T Wood back.

Losing Fowler hurts more then Chapman. He missed more then a month and still had about 85-90 runs I think and a 390+ obp. That was huge for guys like Rizzo/Bryant hitting after him.

I was shocked how good he has been over the past 3 years instead of just last year only when he stood out. He don't strike out a ton of guys k/9 so got overlooked.

He was cutter/change in the first half then flipped reversed and went 4 seamer/curve the second half. He had guys all sorts of fucked up. He probably has the best change of any starter in the NL. He cuts it both ways, it's a great pitch. Really might be the next Greg Maddux, a poor man's version, but a version no less.

Losing Fowler hurts more then Chapman. He missed more then a month and still had about 85-90 runs I think and a 390+ obp. That was huge for guys like Rizzo/Bryant hitting after him.

They're talking about Schwarber leading off... I hate it. I'd prefer Zo. Dex is the man thoguh, gonna miss him a lot. Great dude too. If J Hey can get back to the mean he'll be a good enough replacement, plus a full season of Schwarber being a killer.

I little early but I things look pretty solid right now.

1. Jon Lester
2. Jake Arrieta
3. Kyle Hendricks
4. Jon Lackey
5. Mike Montgomery/Brett Anderson

Pen
Uehara
Rondon
Strop
Davis
Duensing
CJ Edwards
Justin Grimm

1. Ben Zobrist
2. Kyle Schwarber
3. Kris Bryant
4. Anthony Rizzo
5. Addison Russell
6. Jason Heyward
7. Wilson Contreras
8. Javy Baez

Bench
Jon Jay
Albert Almora
Miggy Montero
Tommy La Stella
Matt Szczur

I would go:

Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Heyward
Contreras
Russell
Baez

You have Davis as the closer right?

I would go:

Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Heyward
Contreras
Russell
Baez

You have Davis as the closer right?

100% in on Davis closing. Love Rondon, but Davis is top 3 in the game.

Having Wilson hit so low is just so crazy to me... He could seriously rival Buster Posey here real soon as the best catcher in the game. Kid can flat out play.

I can see him jump Heyward and Zobrist easily. But think he will hit lower to start.

I saw where you put Davis so thought that was your bullpen order.

Lester + arrieta have had huge inning workloads now the last 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them have a lesser season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back