Obama Portrait artist - Kehinde Wiley controversy

I can't imagine any other race of person on earth, who when confronted with a blatant racist painting of a black woman swinging around the severed head of a woman of their own race would make excuses for the painter.

I can't imagine even the most liberal black/Asian ever defending such blatant racism against their own.

But liberal white people are so far gone, it's unreal. Pathological masochism.

Excuses != well reasoned explanation

OMG who cares that there's sperm on Obama's face?

Can't you find something more important to be outraged about?

OMG who cares that there's sperm on Obama's face?

Can't you find something more important to be outraged about?

Exactly. It is just a painted presidential portrait with spooge on his face. I am sure the artist ran it by him first.

“Mr. President, you have sperm running down the side of your face, do you want me to paint you without it?”

Where's the close-up? All I see on the Snopes link is the portrait.

Scroll down, they use this image:

obama-close-up.jpg

EDIT: though, in their defense, they also include a link to a pic in which his vein does appear to be throbbing.

Last edited:
Eh... I'm more interested in the stylistic shift.
The choice of an artist known for painting black people in contexts where you'd traditionally expect a white person... seems appropriate.
reagan.jpg

609b46af842397d9864163073cd2b983--american-presidents-us-presidents.jpg

clintonportrait1.jpeg

o-PRESIDENT-GEORGE-W-BUSH-OFFICIAL-PORTRAIT-570.jpg

the-national-portrait-gallery-unveils-official-portraits-of-former-president1.jpg

The only other portrait that really stands out like that is the JFK one.

John_F_Kennedy_Official_Portrait.jpg

Bush I is pretty good also.

Michelle was just being blunt. To the right that makers her uppity, and the right hates uppity or outspoken Blacks. The right only wants passive docile Blacks who will accept and be content with White dominance. They hate the Obamas, like they hate any liberal or Democrat Black politician, because they (the right) perceives the Obamas as not accepting America as a country where White rule should not be questioned.
Shut up you whiny race baiter.

"The right this and the right would never do that". All I see are tears from a little boy who loves to race bait.

has anyone ever seen a member of the alt-right who looked like they could complete a single pullup? I don't think it exists. Even those gay liberal figure skaters all over tv lately would slap them silly.

I just wish we had Michelle Obama holding Barack Obama's head.

Dear white people you're not supposed to be concerned about that choice of artist. Quit being racist.

Is that a sperm on his Temple?

has anyone ever seen a member of the alt-right who looked like they could complete a single pullup? I don't think it exists. Even those gay liberal figure skaters all over tv lately would slap them silly.

Am I in the wrong thread?

This is the Obama portrait thread right?

Bush I is pretty good also.

You think? I'm not really much for portraits, but what I meant was most of them seem to consist of a "Presidential pose" in the White House (or featuring the Capitol building). Although they vary from just bust portraits to full length. The Obama and JFK ones break that tradition and really stand out for it.

You think? I'm not really much for portraits, but what I meant was most of them seem to consist of a "Presidential pose" in the White House. Although they vary from just bust portraits to full length. The Obama and JFK ones break that tradition and really stand out for it.

JFK is still the best. Obama is the worst. I understand trying to break from tradition. But it stinks. But it looks like a High School sophomores attempt to paint like Frida Kahlo.

20e6fd5bcb5b6ae5502538ee83cff4d5.jpg

I would have preferred something like this.

4374_arietti---les-yeux-fermes.jpg

Or this

I didn't even care for Obama but the guy deserves a better painting than that comic book artist wannabe shit.

JFK is still the best. Obama is the worst. I understand trying to break from tradition. But it stinks. But it looks like a High School sophomores attempt to paint like Frida Kahlo.

20e6fd5bcb5b6ae5502538ee83cff4d5.jpg

I would have preferred something like this.

4374_arietti---les-yeux-fermes.jpg

Or this

I'm not a fan of Obama's because it makes the background, and the artist's signature style, more prominent than the subject.
I would have thought one of the Whitehouse colour rooms could have provided a more notably presidential pattern for him to use in his style, even if he similarly brought the patterns to life and into the foreground. Even the ivy pattern and flowers done a little more subtly as the wallpaper of the "green room" or oval office.
Apparently Wiley isn't known for his subtlety or avoiding attention though.

I don't care about the "artists" undeniable racist tendencies, but found a few things odd.

His habit of doing portraits over top of flowery wallpaper is strange. Also, I wonder if he made Obama's hands extra lanky as a dig at Trump.

All in all, Obama deserves better than this amateur hour piece.

Back