Not to take away from Kevin Lee win but out of last 12 fighters who missed

So Romero doesn’t deserve a title shot either?

I said before the fight if Romero won and got a TS out of it that it was bullshit.

I don’t think it’s fair. It’s not a level playing field. Plain and simple. Why is that so hard for some people to understand ? They sign a contract to come in at whatever weight. A contract is your legal promise.

And clearly the ACs take weight seriously. You can’t even fight for the belt if you don’t make weight.

Don’t believe me ?

Al Iaquinta was .2 lbs over. That’s 3 ounces. And even though he wore underwear during the weigh in. The NYSAC said he was NOT eligible to fight for the belt. That was TWO weeks ago. That was not Al’s fault. And we all know it. But it proves the point.

Why can’t people ever just say or think. How would I feel if I was the one on the short end of this ? If my career, and possible payday depended on it. I kept my word. I made weight. Is it fucking fair the other guy didn’t ?

The "pattern" here is weak as shit.

Someone has to win and someone has to lose; Just because the fighters who miss weight are usually the ones who win (out of the whole twelve examples that people have given) doesn't automatically mean it was because of the missed weight. It's an extremely weak correlation.

I think maybe you're just not too bright to see it.

Gonna bow out of this one. Can't reason with stupid.

Fighters shouldn't even be given the option to take the fight if the other fighter didn't make weight. It shouldn't even happen.

They really should fix this and I think there is a very simple solution.

They do the morning weigh ins, so if a guy misses weight then he has to make the required weight at the "ceremonial" weigh in, or no fight.

which means he does make weight and has several hours to do so and as such is penalized by having less time to rehydrate.

Pretty simple solution imo.

The extra two pounds meant shit. Find another excuse.

It means plenty. That last pound can mean everything when you literally have nothing left to give. That's why we see fighters pass out, have seizures, nearly kidney failure, etc.

I'd like to the see the numbers in general but it usually seems like the dude that misses weight wins, happens more often than not. The biggest underdog that missed weight and went on to win recently is probably Emmett.

Rules are rules; Regardless of how much difference a pound or two more does or doesn't make, the weight limit has to stop somewhere and they enforce the rules accordingly when someone misses weight. Doesn't mean the extra pounds made any real difference; it's two f'n pounds for goodness sake.

No one walks into the octagon the same thing as they weighed on the scales, so who cares.
Two pounds is a litre of water though.... to a dehydrated person it could make a big difference.

Ever tried cutting two more pounds when your body will not give it up? Got to make 155.
It was one pound. And there’s no way to make this argument without sounding ridiculous.

It means plenty. That last pound can mean everything when you literally have nothing left to give. That's why we see fighters pass out, have seizures, nearly kidney failure, etc.

But we don't know how much weight they're cutting, how it affects them personally (everyone's body is different), how well they recover from the process during the dehydration period, etc. There's too many other things to account for.

He was only one pound over. I agree that missing weight is bs but that one pound didn’t do anything. If lee was a former ww and missed by 5lbs that would be a huge difference in how he shows up the next day but the 1lb he was over didn’t play a huge part if any in this fight.
do you cut weight? how much? are the last couple pounds equally as difficult as the first several?

I think the 2lbs can make a lot of difference both physically and mentally. That’s what separates contenders from champions.

When the cut got to it’s hardest point, Lee was allowed to quit and relax.

If it was a title fight, and he was forced to cut the extra two pounds, I’m sure he would have been stressed as hell about it.

Simply bad form. He should have made weight if he expects to fight for a title.

This is why Leslie Smith opted to not fight when her opponent missed weight.

What did Barboza gain from taking the fight?

Yeah... Two guys fight, one comes out the better man, and it just so happens by chance that it's usually the guy that missed weight. Out of a sample size as small as twelve.

Literally no intelligent person finds anything fantastical about that. And there is so much more evidence you'd have to account for to say that it's "provably unlikely" - Who the specific fighters are and how they match up, what the betting odds were, etc. Also show some expertise into the human body and how each fighter's specific weight cut affects their performance, and how what they eat and drink the next day during the rehydration process affects it, too. Just way too many variables to possibly account for, and you honestly think just looking at a small sample size is enough evidence to go on.
The other things you mention should be randomly distributed variables. It seems you simply don't understand probability theory and aren't willing to listen to someone who does. If you really believe "12 is too small" then start flipping a coin and see how long it takes you to get 12 heads in a row (spolier alert: you'll be waiting a while).

There actually is a reasonable counter hypothesis to "missing weight gives an advantage". Since you can't come up with it on your own I'll explain it, maybe that will help you learn how to better think about these kinds of issues.

An alternative hypothesis is that fighters who cut more weight both have an advantage in a fight because they're bigger by fight time, but they're also more likely to miss weight since they have to cut more. That would explain the correlation and increase the likelihood of this randomly unlikely event (unlike the other randomly distributed factors you mentioned). Make sense?

The other things you mention should be randomly distributed variables. It seems you simply don't understand probability theory and aren't willing to listen to someone who does. If you really believe "12 is too small" then start flipping a coin and see how long it takes you to get 12 heads in a row (spolier alert: you'll be waiting a while).

There actually is a reasonable counter hypothesis to "missing weight gives an advantage". Since you can't come up with it on your own I'll explain it, maybe that will help you learn how to better think about these kinds of issues.

An alternative hypothesis is that fighters who cut more weight both have an advantage in a fight because they're bigger by fight time, but they're also more likely to miss weight since they have to cut more. That would explain the correlation and increase the likelihood of this randomly unlikely event (unlike the other randomly distributed factors you mentioned). Make sense?

Of course they're randomly distributed variables (same with your alternative hypothesis, which for the record isn't any better of a rebuttal than the stuff I already mentioned), that's exactly why I'm saying calling the whole thing improbable just because the people that miss weight usually win is absurd. The statistic is unimpressive in itself, but there's so many other factors to account for that simplifying to it being just that is being an idiot.

And yes, 12 is a small number. And no, how long it does or doesn't take you to land 11 out of 12 heads (or tails) doesn't amount to anything. If we were talking about twelve things with an almost endless number of outcomes and it nearly always came out the same way, you'd have a point, but it's random chance with a small number of things.

Of course they're randomly distributed variables (same with your alternative hypothesis, which for the record isn't any better of a rebuttal than the stuff I already mentioned), that's exactly why I'm saying calling the whole thing improbable just because the people that miss weight usually win is absurd. The statistic is unimpressive in itself, but there's so many other factors to account for that simplifying to it being just that is being an idiot.

And yes, 12 is a small number. And no, how long it does or doesn't take you to land 11 out of 12 heads (or tails) doesn't amount to anything. If we were talking about twelve things with an almost endless number of outcomes and it nearly always came out the same way, you'd have a point, but it's random chance with a small number of things.
I don't understand how the world got here. It's obvious to everybody reading this that you don't understand what you're talking about. Even you know that you don't really understand it. You're literally arguing with basic math. Yet you stick by your guns just because you want to feel like you're somehow winning the argument. I don't know why people have started ignoring experts and passing off their uninformed opinions as "facts".

If you want me to show you how to calculate this properly then let me know. Otherwise, you do you, but it's just going to leave you bitter and unsuccessful (which explains your apparent need for talking tough on internet forums).

Lee has zero wins at lightweight in his last 2 fights.

Fact. And he said in the post fight interview to Rogaine that he's going to 170, then didn't, and missed weight. He's a fool

I don't understand how the world got here. It's obvious to everybody reading this that you don't understand what you're talking about. Even you know that you don't really understand it. You're literally arguing with basic math. Yet you stick by your guns just because you want to feel like you're somehow winning the argument. I don't know why people have started ignoring experts and passing off their uninformed opinions as "facts".

If you want me to show you how to calculate this properly then let me know. Otherwise, you do you, but it's just going to leave you bitter and unsuccessful (which explains your apparent need for talking tough on internet forums).

My advice for you is to go learn basic math and logic skills before trying to teach them to someone else.

And lol @ me "talking tough." Talking tough would be me saying I'm gonna find you and beat your ass. Me calling you and your arguments dumb isn't being tough, it's just stating the facts.

My advice for you is to go learn basic math and logic skills before trying to teach them to someone else.

And lol @ me "talking tough." Talking tough would be me saying I'm gonna find you and beat your ass. Me calling you and your arguments dumb isn't being tough, it's just stating the facts.
Actually, I have a PhD in astrophysics and cary out an active research program at one of if not the best astrophysical research institutions in the world, and I understand statistics and probability theory quite well, so you should probably take your own advice here.

Back