Non-MMA Sports Betting Discussion - March, 2018

@iGnP

Will Cain asked an interesting question on his radio show the other day, and I forgot to ask you about it then but just remembered now.

You are starting an NBA franchise. You get to select one guy to build around. How many players are you taking before you take Brad Stevens? Obviously AD, Giannis, KAT, Simmons and maybe a few others? But given how young he is and how much he's seemingly figured out the league, just how valuable is Stevens right now from a macro, franchise altering standpoint?

I'm honestly not sure of the answer, but the fact it's a legit question says quite a bit about him in itself doesn't it?

Wow Lebron taken to the locker room to undergo concussion testing.

@iGnP

Will Cain asked an interesting question on his radio show the other day, and I forgot to ask you about it then but just remembered now.

You are starting an NBA franchise. You get to select one guy to build around. How many players are you taking before you take Brad Stevens? Obviously AD, Giannis, KAT, Simmons and maybe a few others? But given how young he is and how much he's seemingly figured out the league, just how valuable is Stevens right now from a macro, franchise altering standpoint?

I'm honestly not sure of the answer, but the fact it's a legit question says quite a bit about him in itself doesn't it?
I think the love for Brad Stevens has gotten a little out of hand. Like he's obviously a top tier coach but he's not turning coal into diamonds. Jaylen Brown was the #3 overall pick in the draft. Jayson Tatum was also #3 but he was the consensus #1 piayer coming out of HS. His draft stock only took a hit because of

1. Lonzo Ball social media influence
2. Fultz obv played very well
3. His game didn't fit well on the Duke team. He was more of a post player there than his natural 2 guard

I've been very vocal about Horford being one of the top centers in the league. Rozier's emergence is probably the most wow-ing imo and that's probably a lot to due with Stevens for sure.

Point I'm trying to make is- he's got the talent and he's a fantastic coach. Do I pick him over top 10 players in the NBA? That'd be very very tough because we're talking proven guys. But, how's this: Ayton from Arizona is almost guaranteed to be an impact player in the NBA, so let's toss him out of the question. If the Kings offered me the #2 pick for Brad Stevens, I'd turn it down

I think the love for Brad Stevens has gotten a little out of hand. Like he's obviously a top tier coach but he's not turning coal into diamonds. Jaylen Brown was the #3 overall pick in the draft. Jayson Tatum was also #3 but he was the consensus #1 piayer coming out of HS. His draft stock only took a hit because of

1. Lonzo Ball social media influence
2. Fultz obv played very well
3. His game didn't fit well on the Duke team. He was more of a post player there than his natural 2 guard

I've been very vocal about Horford being one of the top centers in the league. Rozier's emergence is probably the most wow-ing imo and that's probably a lot to due with Stevens for sure.

Point I'm trying to make is- he's got the talent and he's a fantastic coach. Do I pick him over top 10 players in the NBA? That'd be very very tough because we're talking proven guys. But, how's this: Ayton from Arizona is almost guaranteed to be an impact player in the NBA, so let's toss him out of the question. If the Kings offered me the #2 pick for Brad Stevens, I'd turn it down

Interesting. I don't disagree about the talent level of the C's, but you have to also put in context how difficult it is to win like they are when arguably your top 2 offensive options are a 20 year old rookie and a 21 year old 2nd year guy. Yeah, both ultra talented but while guys like that often are contributors and even put up good stats, rarely do they show the ability to lead their teams deep into the playoffs like this. Maybe the C's just got lucky and happened to get 2 ultra mature guys who show composure beyond their years. But I'd argue a lot of it is coaching.

Horford is a great stabilizing influence, that is for sure a valid point. Does a little of everything.

I guess I tend to agree about taking him over the top young players in the league. But (and let's assume in this scenario he wants to stay for a very long time) give Stevens age the list really isn't that long for me. I think he probably also has at least SOME say in who Ainge is drafting, so probably a little credit goes to him for the Brown pick (maybe not Tatum since everyone kinda knew he'd go top 3). Definitely for drafting and developing Rozier. Every great coach in league history has had elite talent. You **might** be getting another Pop, and if you are then man, he's more valuable than all but a handful of young stars imo.

Interesting. I don't disagree about the talent level of the C's, but you have to also put in context how difficult it is to win like they are when arguably your top 2 offensive options are a 20 year old rookie and a 21 year old 2nd year guy. Yeah, both ultra talented but while guys like that often are contributors and even put up good stats, rarely do they show the ability to lead their teams deep into the playoffs like this. Maybe the C's just got lucky and happened to get 2 ultra mature guys who show composure beyond their years. But I'd argue a lot of it is coaching.

Horford is a great stabilizing influence, that is for sure a valid point. Does a little of everything.

I guess I tend to agree about taking him over the top young players in the league. But (and let's assume in this scenario he wants to stay for a very long time) give Stevens age the list really isn't that long for me. I think he probably also has at least SOME say in who Ainge is drafting, so probably a little credit goes to him for the Brown pick (maybe not Tatum since everyone kinda knew he'd go top 3). Definitely for drafting and developing Rozier. Every great coach in league history has had elite talent. You **might** be getting another Pop, and if you are then man, he's more valuable than all but a handful of young stars imo.
No fucking question he's a savant. I think IT is one of the most overrated players of this generation and he was an MVP candidate under Stevens. He does a great job of allowing his players to do what they're good at. It's easier said than done, too. I have a soft spot for Pop and I will go to my grave saying he's the best coach I've ever seen but Stevens is doing some amazing things here in Boston. I mean, yeah, I'm cashing Boston tickets left and right, but money aside, I haven't had this much fun watching a basketball team since the Warriors. They play hard, they play smart, and they play w passion. You can attribute those things to Stevens but it has to innately be there in the guys on the team.

/rant

I made a live bet on the Nats/Yankees game. WTF happens when the game is suspended? It has to conclude within 24 hours for there to be action? I always forget the rules

No fucking question he's a savant. I think IT is one of the most overrated players of this generation and he was an MVP candidate under Stevens. He does a great job of allowing his players to do what they're good at. It's easier said than done, too. I have a soft spot for Pop and I will go to my grave saying he's the best coach I've ever seen but Stevens is doing some amazing things here in Boston. I mean, yeah, I'm cashing Boston tickets left and right, but money aside, I haven't had this much fun watching a basketball team since the Warriors. They play hard, they play smart, and they play w passion. You can attribute those things to Stevens but it has to innately be there in the guys on the team.

/rant

I agree. Sometimes it's like if you are ultra complimentary of a coach people take that to mean you are not giving the players credit. They are the ones going out and winning games. Whatever Stevens has brought to the table there, they've all bought in and are the ones making it work.

They are super fun to watch too. In some ways more so than the Warriors because they are doing it with much less talent (and without what was supposed to be their 2 best players to start the season). They do play similarly to the W's though, very true. The way they play so hard and talk on D, and the way they move the ball on offense, but always with a purpose.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda but I wanted to bet the C’s at half but was feeding babies. I really think the Cavs are lucky to take 2 games from this team.

Some of their hunger can be attributed to youth in my opinion. They are so freaking young that they have so much energy and can play at such a high level all game. Not to mention ultra talented.

Last edited:
I made a live bet on the Nats/Yankees game. WTF happens when the game is suspended? It has to conclude within 24 hours for there to be action? I always forget the rules

I can't remember either. I think you're right with the 24 hour thing, but I'm not positive.

I can't remember either. I think you're right with the 24 hour thing, but I'm not positive.
yea whatever, ill just assume its gonna be void. no matter either way, i bet on the nats and its really a toss up at this point. ill be fine w a void

Shoulda, woulda, coulda but I wanted to bet the C’s at half but was feeding babies. I really think the Cavs are lucky to take 2 games from this team.

Some of their hunger can be attributed to youth in my opinion. They are so freaking young that they have so much energy and can play at such a high level all game.

Yeah, some of it for sure. But they also have some vets that blend in really well. The fact that they have a couple guys like Morris and Smart who are both very...volatile let's say? and they fit right in and contribute speaks volumes about their chemistry.

I might skip out on betting Celtics in game 3, but game 4 at inflated spread? sign me up

Yeah, some of it for sure. But they also have some vets that blend in really well. The fact that they have a couple guys like Morris and Smart who are both very...volatile let's say? and they fit right in and contribute speaks volumes about their chemistry.

Stevens is perfect for Smart. And going in on what you guys were saying about Stevens, a ton of credit needs to be given to Ainge too.

Assuming they lose game 3?
either way. i think there can be a letdown for the celtics in game 3 with cleveland in must win mode, but we're gonna get the celtics at +5 at the very least for game 4 barring some major line adjustment. ill take that for a good amount i think

Impressive win for the Celtics I still think this series goes 7 Boston hasn’t played that well on the road. They do seem to matchup well with the Cavs but I think it’s 2-2 going back to boston.

either way. i think there can be a letdown for the celtics in game 3 with cleveland in must win mode, but we're gonna get the celtics at +5 at the very least for game 4 barring some major line adjustment. ill take that for a good amount i think

If the Celtics win by 10 again in game 3, you'll see Cleveland -2 or something for game 4. At that point, books and bettors are going to start looking at it that the Celtics are just a horrible matchup for the Cavs. You also could see it start to look like the Cavs are mailing it in, similar to how the Raptors did against them. (Lebron won't, but the rest of them...?)

But yeah, I think in any other scenario (a really close Boston win or any Cleveland win) you are probably spot on. Cavs -5 or right around it.

If the Celtics win by 10 again in game 3, you'll see Cleveland -2 or something for game 4. At that point, books and bettors are going to start looking at it that the Celtics are just a horrible matchup for the Cavs. You also could see it start to look like the Cavs are mailing it in, similar to how the Raptors did against them. (Lebron won't, but the rest of them...?)

But yeah, I think in any other scenario (a really close Boston win or any Cleveland win) you are probably spot on. Cavs -5 or right around it.
for the record i think game 3 will be around 5 or 6 as well. doubt itll get to 7 but ya never know

Back