NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v2: Nintendo's Big Comeback Starter Pack

It's sad when people want to spend money to buy multiple games at launch, but there are just no interesting options for many of them. This is what happens when you have a weak ass launch lineup.

You actually had me thinking.. how many games did I buy for each of my consoles (if purchased on launch day).

List:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Vaguely recalling from memory here

SNES: Super Mario World, SimCity
Playstation: Battle Arena Toshiden, NBA Jam TE
N64: Super Mario 64, Pilowings 64
PS2: Madden 2001, SSX
Gamecube: Wave Race: Blue Storm
PS3: Resistance: Fall of Man
Wii: Zelda Twilight Princess and Wii Sports (came with console)

I did not buy the dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS4 on launch.

I got PS4 and XB1 both at launch.

PS4: Killzone
XB1: Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising

Actually my PS4 took a lot longer than my XB1 to justify buying at launch... as the good PS4 games took a long time before they were released. PS4 released in november 2013, took until march 2014 until the good/decent games started coming out (MGS V, infamous second son)

It's sad when people want to spend money to buy multiple games at launch, but there are just no interesting options for many of them. This is what happens when you have a weak ass launch lineup.

With that being said, I plan on picking up a Switch around Summertime when Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are out.....but for now, it's nothing besides BOTW. Really weak.

I don't mind the weak launch line up so much since it has Zelda as a launch title and that's one of my most wanted games of the year, and the fact I have to many games in my back log as it is.

I think if I was looking for the Switch to be my lead platform I might be a little more upset about it, but it's going to supplement my PS4/XB1 so I already have tons of stuff to get through. The early days of the PS4 felt a little more barren for me since I was ready to jump to next gen and there wasn't a killer launch app for me. I picked up Killzone and Knack and neither of those were great. I had a lot of fun with my kid playing Knack, but it's not the type of game I really want to play and Killzone was pretty "meh". I'm an RPG guy so I was dying for a quality next gen RPG to play. I think that's why I'm comfortable with the Switch launch line up because Zelda is the type of game consumes my thoughts while at work.

If the Switch would have launched with Mario instead I would be pretty bummed. While I love Mario along with my kid, it's not the juicy RPG I can sink 100's of hours into. Can't wait to get going on BotW in a week!

*Edit*

While I was typing out how bummed I would be if the Switch launched with Mario over Zelda the thought occurred to me how bad @ss it would be to have a Mario game built up like Mario64(which Odyssey looks to be), that had loot and other upgrades to accessing different areas in the Metroidvania sense, like double jump boots, flame resistant overalls, rock smashing gloves. that would get me excited for a Mario game again.

Last edited:
Any news and when I can actually buy one, since they are already sold out everywhere?

for those of you waiting for the Zelda game, do you not own the wii u? personally I'm waiting on the switch until some more games come out, I own the wii u so if I feel the need to play the new Zelda game i'll pick it up for that system.

Honestly curious as to what other function/game has many of you wanting to pick up the switch at launch.

Any news and when I can actually buy one, since they are already sold out everywhere?

I've heard that Gamestop will have Switch's available to walk in's, but it won't be many. Also, you're better off trying places like Best Buy and Target, as a lot of people wouldn't think to preorder there and they get much more supply than Gamestop would.

I've heard that Gamestop will have Switch's available to walk in's, but it won't be many. Also, you're better off trying places like Best Buy and Target, as a lot of people wouldn't think to preorder there and they get much more supply than Gamestop would.
Yeah, a couple of them around here are doing it, but I really dislike midnight sales. Were fine when I was in college, but now I get up at 4 am for work, so it is a pain.

Will just wait patiently I guess. Zelda is the only launch title I want. Mario and Xenoblade do not come out til end of the year anyway.

I don't think you have to do midnight pickup if you preorder. this was many years ago but I preordered the ps4 and picked it up the next day, screw doing midnight launches.

You actually had me thinking.. how many games did I buy for each of my consoles (if purchased on launch day).

List:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

Vaguely recalling from memory here

SNES: Super Mario World, SimCity
Playstation: Battle Arena Toshiden, NBA Jam TE
N64: Super Mario 64, Pilowings 64
PS2: Madden 2001, SSX
Gamecube: Wave Race: Blue Storm
PS3: Resistance: Fall of Man
Wii: Zelda Twilight Princess and Wii Sports (came with console)

I did not buy the dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS4 on launch.

you could pretty much own a SNES from day 1, and never have to buy another game again if you had those listed

Nintendo normally always have a game bundled that sells the console....this time i think they may have got it wrong

for those of you waiting for the Zelda game, do you not own the wii u? personally I'm waiting on the switch until some more games come out, I own the wii u so if I feel the need to play the new Zelda game i'll pick it up for that system.

Honestly curious as to what other function/game has many of you wanting to pick up the switch at launch.

I'm honestly just a sucker for new tech. I have a Wii U and I thought about buying BotW for that, but when they opened up pre-orders for the Switch I went into auto pilot and picked one up. Will dump in more cash, but knowing I'll have access to the new Mario Odyssey and other games soon enough is worth it for me.

I don't think you have to do midnight pickup if you preorder. this was many years ago but I preordered the ps4 and picked it up the next day, screw doing midnight launches.
Ahh, nah, all of the pre-order stuff is sold out that I can find. And screw those people trying to sell them for like twice the price.

Ahh, nah, all of the pre-order stuff is sold out that I can find. And screw those people trying to sell them for like twice the price.

I mean, you can try to go to Best Buy early next week and try to become friendly with a rep and offer them a 20 to put one on hold for you. I did that for the Wii. lol

I mean, you can try to go to Best Buy early next week and try to become friendly with a rep and offer them a 20 to put one on hold for you. I did that for the Wii. lol
Too much work for me. I just have my notifications set up, they may have actual bundles in the future too, sothat could help.

you could pretty much own a SNES from day 1, and never have to buy another game again if you had those listed

wait what? are you saying there weren't any good games for SNES?... or any other good games on SNES launch? I think the other golden classic launch game was FZero.. Definitely a classic. But if you are saying SNES didn't have any great games that I must profusely disagree with you... Final Fantasy VI, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart, Castlevania IV, Starfox, Street Fighter II:TE, MK and MK II.. and on and on...

nope never bought the Wii U. Didn't get it and wasn't interested in it. I would have bought it for Zelda but why play it on the old tech when I can play it with the newer one! I would have waited for the next batch if I didn't score a launch console but I did.. so I am happily waiting for next Friday...

What other function? Meh.. its another console to own and its by Nintendo. I own a PC and PS4 and this will be the perfect 2nd console for me. I can use it on the go and most importantly I will be able to play Nintendo games.

I own a Wii U (bought it for the "Zelda Wii U" originally) but I decided to get Breath of the Wild on the Switch mainly because it'll run smoother and the Switch excites me. I like the idea of being able to play BotW whenever I get called into work on a weekend, or when I travel. It even sounds nice to be able to switch from docked to handheld mode whenever a Blackhawks game or MMA fights come on but I still want to play.

Another reason is because Splatoon 2 will be coming to the Switch only.

or you clear the calendar and make sure Friday is work free and you can pick up the console Thursday midnight and play all night and all day... muwahahaha..!

or you clear the calendar and make sure Friday is work free and you can pick up the console Thursday midnight and play all night and all day... muwahahaha..!

I took off March 3rd right after the Switch reveal. I get off work at 11pm Thursday night so I'll head straight to Gamestop and wait in line. Then time to play BotW all weekend.

I want to say I did the midnight launch for mvc3 and another game that escapes me. I think by the time I got home I played maybe an hour, I know many love to do the pick up the new console/game and play all night/day. Not for this guy, not anymore at least.

well I hope the switch meets/exceeds everyone's expectations in here.

I want to say I did the midnight launch for mvc3 and another game that escapes me. I think by the time I got home I played maybe an hour, I know many love to do the pick up the new console/game and play all night/day. Not for this guy, not anymore at least.

well I hope the switch meets/exceeds everyone's expectations in here.

I've been to a bunch of midnight releases, but the last one for PS4 is the one where I decided that Danny Glover was on to something. Everyone in line was annoying me, I was tired from being at work that day, I had to much coffee to try and stay up and had to pee, just all around regret.

Pre order and pick up day of for this guy from here on out.

Back